Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 PM

702 posts, read 1,237,462 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in contract and have a home in the process of being built. I hired a inspector and what I saw in the inspections wasn't good. From the two inspections I've had so far (pre-pour and frame), they have at least a few building code violations which they aren't repairing or fixing properly (band-aid solutions). When asked about these violations, they gave me the typical response of, "Our builder doesn't build homes like other builders....."

Some of the things wrong with the home so far is that some of the wood have mold growing on it, wood boards that have cracked in half due to the weather conditions, roof shingles are all messed up (wavy shaped), some of the wood beams? connecting in the roof aren't nailed in properly, a lot of nails missed the wood board and it's just hanging poking out saying hello to me, the attic walkway isn't up to code, no sill plates installed, huge cracks (like someone stepped on it) on the green guard insulation, no nail protection plates, some windows were improperly installed, some flex ducts are improperly routed and spliced, bent nails to fasten a drain pipe and no support on a waste drain line in the attic (looks like it runs 12 feet straight across).

On the pre-pour, something was too close to a tension cable or something and they didn't do anything about it, a grounding wire was suppose to be 10 feet, instead they taped two 6 feet rods together and there were a couple of other things.

If you were me, would you stick with the home, try to get them to fix the violations and lower the price? Or would you try to get a refund on the deposit and look for a different home? I'm heavily leaning on trying to get my deposit back.

Last edited by huma281; 02-21-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I would get a different builder. Chances are that he will screw up many other things too.
A home NOT build up to code will not only have problems, but you will have hard time selling it too.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM

71 posts, read 254,382 times
I would run! Find a better builder, it's definitely worth it in the long run! If there are problems now, there will only be more problems to come...

Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Check your contract agreement. Are there any contingencies included in your contract?
There are contingencies, which allow both buyers and sellers to break the contract if certain specifications outlined in the contract are not met. One of them is based on inspection:

The inspection contingency allows the buyer to cancel the contract if the inspection uncovers any defects or issues which the buyer finds unacceptable. The inspection contingency is meant to provide escape for buyers unable to shoulder the burden of substantial home repairs that aren’t readily apparent, such as mold, structural issues, etc. In some states a buyer can invoke the inspection contingency without citing specific issues; in such cases the buyer simply “disapproves” the inspection report, and the contract is void.

A Guide to Home Contract Contingencies | New Homes Section
Contingencies in contracts
Does an inspection contingency entitle me to return of earnest money if seller refuses to repair/credit? - Trulia Voices
Contract Contingencies - Home Buying Purchase Contract Contingencies
Breaking Home Sales Contract based on Home Inspection Revealing Structural Damage

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...nspection.html

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston