Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
During my time on the internet and in my interactions all around Texas, I've always been amused by the pervasive Houston inferiority complex. It may be a travel forum I'm on where someone is asking for info about DFW Airport and the Houstonites insist upon butting in and spouting unasked for stuff about IAH. It may be on an architecture forum where someone is discussing Pei architecture in Dallas and the Houston people won't shut up. It's Houston's transit agency certifying their trains to 66 MPH to beat DART's 65. It's having to lie about where I'm from when I'm in Houston so people won't harass me.

What's up with it? What causes it? Why do Dallas people seem self deprecating while the Houston people are the proverbial poorly endowed guy driving the big pickup truck?
Seriously, all of this Dallas vs Houston and Houston vs Dallas stuff is getting really repetitive on here. Let it go people! The two places are too much alike so it's like splitting hairs after enough of it.

And you are certainly not helping the situation at all being from Dallas and starting a flame thread about Houston.

You are only seeing it from your point of view. The Dallas people are just as bad. Constantly pulling the "inferiority complex" card, sort of like Austin pulls the "jealousy" card. I notice just about all of the people who pull these cards are usually inexperienced with and generally ignorant about Houston and have other issues going on (e.g. enjoy stirring the pot rather than just living life and being easy-going.)

Enough already!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 PM

343 posts, read 804,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
On the contrary, the Houston "homers" on this site are obsessed with Dallas. Even when they move away, they never pass up an opportunity to bash.

Dallas is pretentions.
Dallas's terrain is flat and boring.
Dallas's buildings aren't very tall.
Dallas is a blank prairie with very few trees.
The food in Dallas is all chain restaurants.
Dallas isn't as diverse as that other place.
Dallas's freeways are lousy and the road full of potholes.
Dallas is sterile, "too clean," and sanitary because of restrictive zoning.
Dallas relies too much on Fort Worth.
Dallas's medical facilities are sub-par.
DART ridership per mile is lousy.
Downtown Dallas has only one sports venue.
Dallas's lakes are crummy compared to the wonderful Gulf of Mexico.
Dallas is too far away from New Orleans.
Hardly anything is IN Dallas (stadiums, int'l airport, etc.)
Dallas's zoo is no big deal.
Dallas doesn't have multiple downtowns.
Dallas's lack of humidity makes the skin dry.
Dallas doesn't "feel" ... (insert anything ridiculous you want to: diverse, cosmopolitan, big, dynamic). This is perhaps the most specious of all, as if something as subjective as "feeling" means anything.
Dallas is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.
All the reality shows filming in Dallas show the city in a bad light (even though everyone knows these shows are heavily edited, and they add millions of $ to the local economy).
The Super Bowl was a disaster.
The Dallas Cowboys are overrated (OK, I'll give you that one!).

I could come up with a dozen or more examples if I had the time, but anyone who is a regular reader of these boards can vouch for everything I listed.
although I am sick of Dallas vs. Houston, this post could NOT be more true

Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
although I am sick of Dallas vs. Houston, this post could NOT be more true
But at least half of the items on the list are true.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
But at least half of the items on the list are true.

Well, maybe one third!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Houston can't have a complex, it is SUPERIOR to Dallas in every way.

Dallas is the one with the inferiority complex. always trying to outdo Houston and most often go overboard

Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston can't have a complex, it is SUPERIOR to Dallas in every way.

Dallas is the one with the inferiority complex. always trying to outdo Houston and most often go overboard
.............just stop....YOU are going overboard.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times
Dallas and Houston are rival cities of course they are going to talk crap about each other...then gain up on the non Texas cities...the same way you talk **** about your brother but become pissed when someone out side your familiy does it.. like the poster who started yapping about NYC..being more urban..ok and NY has what almost 100 years on Houston and Dallas?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,353 times
I've heard it said that Houston is to Texas as Texas is to the USA as the USA is to the world.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I've heard it said that Houston is to Texas as Texas is to the USA as the USA is to the world.
I agree Houston is the Best city in Texas as Texas is the best State in the US as USA is the best darn country in the World.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Admittedly, I get pulled into it, too. But in reality, anyone who thinks the differences between Houston and Dallas go beyond small nuances probably have never lived outside of the state. I've lived on the west coast, the east coast, and in the rocky mountains, and although I like Dallas better, I wouldn't feel shorted if my job moved me to Houston. It would probably take a day to adjust. I think its only the hometown people who have lived there their whole lives who get so worked up about it in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston