Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have been to Midtown, Market Square and all of those areas and I guess I seem confused because the Houston posters make it seem as if Houston offers this in a better package than what is in Dallas and I feel like when I've been to Houston I've somehow missed the hip vibrant areas in those neighborhoods, but I guess I was where I was supposed to be. With that said Dallas packages itself better than Houston because I've yet to see an area in Houston that seemed to trump what Dallas offers.
Ditto.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM

58 posts, read 90,108 times
Sheessh!

What is the deal between this Dallas vs. Houston rivalry here on City-Data??? I don't know about Dallas ( I'll have to visit to see what all the fuss is about) but Houston has absolutely no need to feel inferior to any city...

Houston is a thriving metropolis with a first-class medical center-I know because I work there as an RN at one of the hospitals. It has a museum district, theater district, as well as many great restaurants. It is the center for the oil/energy industry in the U.S.

I have been living in Houston only for a couple of months but am quite impressed with the city. I could have moved to any city in America but chose Houston after careful research and a two-week trip back in September.

In my life I have lived in New York City, Boston, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale. I have spoken to friends, family members, and ex-coworkers and Houston is (curiously enough) regarded by all in the same light: an upcoming city of industry and technology. Nothing wrong with that! When I think of these cities and add up the pros/cons of each and then compare them to Houston....Houston comes out on top-big time! Do you want to live like an insect in a hive-move to New York City! Do you want to buy a house in Boston in a good neighborhood-I hope you're rich!! Do you want to live with pretentious people-enjoy Ft. Lauderdale! Do you want to live in a third-world slum with extremely rude, unfriendly people who don't speak ( or don't want to speak) English? Come to MIAMI (by the way I'm Hispanic/Latino so I don't want to be accused of racism)

So far I have only visited one other city in Texas. I spent the weekend two weeks ago in Corpus Christi. I stayed in a hotel on Padre Island. The place is ok, but nothing special. I will visit other places in Texas, including Dallas. After I visit Dallas, I won't feel the need to bash it on this forum.

Well I have to go now, I'm hungry and I want to go out to eat. Incidentally I want to try this great place in DOWNTOWN HOUSTON.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
don't know where you went so I can't help you.

All I know is that the things are there, and that DT Houston has some of the best ammenities in a downtown in the state. From its sporting complexes to its Theaters, and live art performances, no other city in Texas matches it
Yes it does do this well and luckily for Houston the metro area encircles the city unlike DFW that is shaped like a penis facing left and Dallas being the ******* lol. Six Flags, Rangers Ball Park & Cowboys stadium are all centered in the metro area for more easy access to the whole metroplex. The soccer stadium in Frisco is a bit odd to me though. They should bring it back to Dallas and maybe one day they will. There is a big trend emerging in the area to move offices into the core of Dallas once their leases are up in suburban type areas like Las Colinas and Addison. I think once the market gets better this will pick up more and then we will start to see even more life being breathed into the core of Dallas. Unfortunately, geographically it is not centered within the metro area it has spurred.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Wait, how is Downtown Dallas ahead of Downtown Houston, when Downtown Houston has: Theater District, Main Street Square, two sports venues inside the freeway loop (with another just a stone's throw away), Verizon Wireless Theater, etc. Downtown Houston easily has more attractions and destinations than Downtown Dallas. If anything, what's being built in DT Dallas now is just catching up to Downtown Houston currently. Now, the Aquarium in DT Dallas is better than the one in Houston. So is the fact that more of the freeways are depressed and not elevated. I'll give it that. DT Houston is just more of a destination for its metro area residents than DT Dallas is. There is more to do.

Houston, Dallas, and Austin say.....who??
This! Theres really no comparison in terms of vibrancy. Houston wins that hands down. I can't believe someone brought up Dallas' Main Street as an asset. Main Street in Dallas is a joke. There is nothing going on on Main Street that isn't going on in any other part of the Metroplex. Victory Park is nice but I'd consider that uptown. The West End isn't even good at being a tourist trap.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Unfortunately, geographically it is not centered within the metro area it has spurred.

Dallas, as a city, isn't centered at all as well. Downtown is technically the southern most part of the "city" as the southern sector has been neglected for decades. The overwhelming majority of commerical and residential developement is north of downtown Dallas along 75, 35 and the tollway.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Dallas, as a city, isn't centered at all as well. Downtown is technically the southern most part of the "city" as the southern sector has been neglected for decades. The overwhelming majority of commerical and residential developement is north of downtown Dallas along 75, 35 and the tollway.
Most definitely. With the exception being Kessler Park/Winnetka Heights/Bishop Arts on the other side of the Trinity. As much crap as the new bridge gets on this forum its purpose is to create a gateway into areas of Dallas that have been neglected. I certainly hope some good will come out of it's construction and I think it will.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM

157 posts, read 165,472 times
Folks, Downtown Dallas is ahead of Downtown Houston. Downtown Dallas has housing! Dt. Houston has very little of it. Downtown Dallas has new arts/theater intertainment complexes that's worth noting. Overall, Downtown Dallas is ahead of Dt. Houston by 10 years. However, with that said, they both are behind Austin and San Antonio. Ft. Worth creams Dt. Dallas.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 PM

157 posts, read 165,472 times
Downtown Houston needs housing, housing and housing! It needs more retail shops and services. The 224 restaurants in downtown are mostly small deli and fast food types in the tunnel. It has absolutely no street life. They built these bland towers with no thought for pedestrians. If they somehow fix up the downtown core, I think there will be less inferiority complex. It needs zoning laws for the rest of the city to make it better.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Hunny bun this sounds funny coming from you seeing how just a few days ago you were talking about rubbing it in our faces if DT Dallas gets better than DT Houston

They better recognize. Houston has nothing to feel inferior about.

This was discussed in another thread. Dallaz got schooled on Houston Downtowns improvements over the last decade.
3 downtown stadiums, 3 rail lines going in, multiple towers, parks, groceries, etc etc

its not rocket science, just read back and you will see where someone came in trolling insulting Houston and Dallas's downtowns and claiming Austins to be suprerior. You don't expect that to get responses???
Schooled? Seriously! I actually had more things listed than you did. So you are the one that got schooled.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
I think downtown Fort Worth at street level is the best in Texas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston