Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM

169 posts, read 449,849 times

Advertisements

TAKS minimum skills-my school is typically 90%+ commended, turning to RECOGNIZED/EXEMPLARY
STAR-my school has told us it expects to be UNACCEPTABLE for at least 2 years before it slowly pulls it self up to nearly exemplary.

It's great that the state is giving us a better test but they made to big of a jump in it, there wasn't a medium in between to get students and schools better prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 AM

404 posts, read 1,030,631 times
TAKS was a joke...this is probably going to be the same. I doubt it's that much harder. Either way, it's still a minimum-skills test.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
TAKS was a joke...this is probably going to be the same. I doubt it's that much harder. Either way, it's still a minimum-skills test.
the STAR is no joke, it actually requires knowledge, and if you refer to my previous comment and then I add that my school district is one of the top public schools systems in the metro area you begin to realize this test isn't going to be very passable.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw7337 View Post
the STAR is no joke, it actually requires knowledge, and if you refer to my previous comment and then I add that my school district is one of the top public schools systems in the metro area you begin to realize this test isn't going to be very passable.
I'd love to see STAR vs ERB......just sayin'

Some already have seen the disparity...

Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 11,659 times
Default STARR replaces TAKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw7337 View Post
You are right the STARR is definately no joke. It is long over due. Texas education lags so far behind the rest of the nation. It might not be the best replacement for the TAKS but something needed to be done.

You are right Many schools will lose there ratings. I think it'll take them more than a couple years to get those stellar ratings back. This testing requires is a whole new way of thinking which will require a whole new way of teaching.
I must say I like the idea of this new indept way of thinking and acquiring knowledge. This is exactly what I've encouraged with my kids from the get go.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful2 View Post
This testing requires is a whole new way of thinking which will require a whole new way of teaching.
that is more than true, all my teachers have always said, "We teach you to pass TAKS and that's it, nothing else." Then most of them add, "Nothing else matters if I want a paycheck from the district."

Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM

114 posts, read 225,069 times
you all are joking right? These 4 hour tests are ridiculous for a 3rd grader. How is this preparation for college and I'd like to see how YOU would do.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresstosocal View Post
you all are joking right? These 4 hour tests are ridiculous for a 3rd grader. How is this preparation for college and I'd like to see how YOU would do.
You have an excellent point, they really don't help the students and in lower grades the test can seem a little excessive. If you are looking for college preparation most schools recommend advanced classes in lower grades and dual credit in high school. The test has no factors in college preparation, it's only to make sure teachers are teaching what the state wants.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,659 times
I have seen the questions that's why I know STARR is hard. I did't say it was easy. Then Life's not easy. Let's prepare our kids to really think, YES starting as young as 8. STARR Requires not only that kids can read but that they can also comprehend and think far and beyond. What's wrong with that? What is the point of education ? Not to face challenges?
TAKS was a waste of time. Kids getting Commended and perfect scores without knowing a damn thing. Entering college needing remedial help even if they came from top high schools getting perfect scores.
Parents already fearing their kids will fail instead of welcoming the challenges.
I don't get it. Feel sorry for the educators. Make it easy parents complain. Expect more get called ridculous.
From what I see if your child is not a strong reader that's a problem. Kids will have to enter kindergarten reading. If by 3rd grade they are slow or struggling readers the STARR will be near impossible. Writing will be big too.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM

114 posts, read 225,069 times
isn't it true that children develop abstract thinking around 8? Also consider everyone develops at different rates. Yes, you will hear its ridiculous from parents, but we don't let our kids know that or they'll run with it and make excuses. I have seen a comparison to the TASK and it is more difficult. That's okay if you have 10 students not 25+, its difficult to teach like that, okay then, let them spread out the school year to 12 months and then maybe it will work. You are right, these kids need to be good readers. My son loves math and science and was doing multiplication since 1st grade that he taught himself. When it comes to reading, he's barely on level and failed his reading CBA test but made an A on the math CBA. As I said everyone develops differently, I'm sure my son won't be illiterate! He wants to be a physician so I told him this reading test is a huge prep for the MCAT. But I can still think the whole thing is ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: