Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

Boy these bums **** me off. You cant go to any retail merchant without some dude following you and/or asking you for some change etc. Its not just one place. Gas station, Pharmacy, wing place, bank, etc. I'm sick of them. We should be able to taser them.

I ran my errands and was asked at each place for some $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
There's a guy on SMith that comes up, cries about his wife and kid and not having money for a room. He says the same thing every time. Pisses me off.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
There's a guy on SMith that comes up, cries about his wife and kid and not having money for a room. He says the same thing every time. Pisses me off.
Have you met the one who always cries about not having enough gas money to get to the hospital to see his baby??? I told him "Dude your wife has been in labor for like a year now". lol

Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM

87 posts, read 174,772 times
They are all over not just midtown. They are a problem no matter the area. I don't know why people give them money other than they are ignorant, naive, just stupid, or a combination of all three. These people sitting around at intersections aren't just folks hitting hard times. Most are substance abusers who use fools for money to feed their habits. Some are mentally ill and in my opinion a threat to themselves and others I think they should be institutionalized but I don't have all the answers on that aspect. Then there are the scum just ducking the law. Don't give to these people. Easier said than done. I'm getting tired of people walking up to me in traffic bugging me for money. Everybody needs help sometimes and I understand that. There are places one can go for help getting back on their feet and these folks aren't the people trying to get back on their feet as I first mentioned. Sorry for the rant but this thread got me going. I don't mean to sound like a snob or insensitive because I'm really not but the city needs to address the problem. I hate going to too see astro's games because I'm getting smothered by homeless and the fresh out of county jail asking for money while you are with your family.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM

101 posts, read 370,886 times
I moved out of Midtown to, well, not so far from Midtown (Montrose) but phew am I glad I don't have to see bums around everywhere. We used to live right next to bum central (the greyhound station).

But still everytime I go pick up stuff from Randall's there is at least 90% chance someone will come out of nowhere asking for money.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,023 times
Yeah it really is out of control. It is definitely not just Midtown. On Westheimer today almost all of the major intersections had them on all 4 sides of it! I also see people riding their bikes on these medians

Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
If we could hunt and kill the homeless for sport it would both clean up the city and give Houston a much needed tourist attraction.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
i think chris_ut says that in jest. statistically the average homeless person is a young woman or child.

another commenter actually had it right. whoever the person or whatever the story is it is best not to give them money. there are places, even in Houston, where they can go to get real services that will actually help them. by giving spare change on the side of the street you put the person in danger, don't actually help them yourself, and keep them away from actually utilizing services.

reminds me of a story a guy I knew in college told me (he was a total idiot). we were going at it because he appeared to be callous and ignorant. i challenge him on that and he goes "oh yeah!? my dad and I give frozen turkeys to homeless people on the street every year for thanksgiving!"

Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
I had a very naive friend spend one Saturday buying fast food and trying to distribute to the people with signs stating they needed food. Most of them threw the food back at her. Unfortunately, she had her young son with her (trying to teach compassion). I think it was a failed lesson. Her heart was in the right place.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle_hou View Post
Yeah it really is out of control. It is definitely not just Midtown. On Westheimer today almost all of the major intersections had them on all 4 sides of it! I also see people riding their bikes on these medians
The city needs to pass a law against panhandling. Get these bums off the street. If you need help go to the star of hope or a church or similar type of organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston