Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I was hoping you would show up. Can you find places in Eastwood for around 100k? I like the area.
Not really, sorry There is a place available for just over 100K but it needs a lot of work. I looked at it when we were house hunting in Eastwood. There isn't a lot of inventory in Eastwood. A lot of new and exciting things are happening in the East End so keep your eye out... you might find that diamond in the rough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtao View Post
That is a very good question! I want an area where all the houses do not have/need bars on the windows and doors, 30 minutes or less from downtown, sidewalks so I can walk without getting ran over, and a little bit of a yard. Also, I want to feel ok about going grocery shopping at night. A playground would be nice, a few kids in the area. Old homes, or homes that need a little bit of work we are fine with. We have 4 years before we need to start worrying about the schools, but if we like the area enough we would consider private schools. Of course good schools are on our dream list.

Is that a realistic for a house around 110k, 30 minutes from downtown? If I need a reality check, please let me know
It is. You're probably just looking in the wrong areas. One caution though, make sure you research the area you end up picking to make sure it's getting better and not declining. You are going to find some areas that use to be good and are going South now. For $110k, you'll likely encounter many of these areas.

How important to you is city life? Nightlife, museums, parks, etc? If you enjoy that, I might suggest the inner loop in some of the upcoming areas. It will likely be a small bungalow, but you'll be close to everything and work. At your price point, shopping won't be 5 minutes away, but you'll likely find great shopping within a 10 minute drive.

If not so important, then you can find some good areas near the Beltway. You'll find slightly bigger, but newer homes than you would inside the loop.

Can you give me some examples of what you've seen but NOT liked?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
It really depends on the tolerance for transitional neighborhoods. Anything for $110k within 30 minutes of downtown in peak traffic times is probably going to be somewhat to very transitional.

As far as the closest in places, going north/northwest, you can get something small west of the bayou in Oak Forest for that. Southwest you could get in section 4 of Westbury, as well as Robindell. Going east/southeast, as for Eastwood, yes, you can get something in that price point but it will need another $100,000 in work probably. Fully renovated homes in Eastwood can fetch upwards of $150 per sq ft now. There are other areas like Garden Villas, Glenbrook, etc. Historic Hobby neighborhoods see a revival - Houston Chronicle

All of these take some level of urban pioneering spirit, some take a little, some take a lot.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM

55 posts, read 109,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
It really depends on the tolerance for transitional neighborhoods. Anything for $110k within 30 minutes of downtown in peak traffic times is probably going to be somewhat to very transitional.

As far as the closest in places, going north/northwest, you can get something small west of the bayou in Oak Forest for that. Southwest you could get in section 4 of Westbury, as well as Robindell. Going east/southeast, as for Eastwood, yes, you can get something in that price point but it will need another $100,000 in work probably. Fully renovated homes in Eastwood can fetch upwards of $150 per sq ft now. There are other areas like Garden Villas, Glenbrook, etc. Historic Hobby neighborhoods see a revival - Houston Chronicle

All of these take some level of urban pioneering spirit, some take a little, some take a lot.
I also second Robindell and Westbury but freeway access is relatively poor so your commute times will increase. Sharpstown is better and will get you in downtown in way less than 30 minutes, even with heavy traffic.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM

30 posts, read 38,186 times
Default Second Ward

I live in Second Ward and have a great community of neighbors. I haven't seen anything that I haven't seen in any other neighborhood I've lived in such as Galleria, River Oaks and West End. I would recommend Second Ward to anyone and would gladly show them around the community. And I do walk after 7 pm in my neighborhood and only run into my other neighbors doing the same as well as walking down to the track and ball park down the street from me. I'm glad I found this area by chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmcd View Post
Good Lord.....are you kidding me?

You're trying to tell someone to live in Second, Third or Fifth Ward?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntgirl712 View Post
I live in Second Ward and have a great community of neighbors. I haven't seen anything that I haven't seen in any other neighborhood I've lived in such as Galleria, River Oaks and West End. I would recommend Second Ward to anyone and would gladly show them around the community. And I do walk after 7 pm in my neighborhood and only run into my other neighbors doing the same as well as walking down to the track and ball park down the street from me. I'm glad I found this area by chance.

The haters just don't get it do they?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post

The haters just don't get it do they?
You are actually growing on me as a poster. I take back those nasty things I said to you in some earlier posts.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 AM

102 posts, read 237,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtao View Post
Family friendly, commute to downtown, would love a yard and 1600+ sq ft. I keep thinking there has got to be a golden gem out there. Thanks in advance for any tips!
When we first moved here we had 3 young kids and I was a stay-home mom. Like $100K was our budget, tops, as we had been unable to sell our previous home. You will hear a lot of bad things about areas of Katy that you can get into for that amount, but really, there are no "bad" areas within Katy ISD, compared to many other areas of Houston. We lived on the far eastern border of Katy in an older subdivision called Westlake, and our street was actually very nice. Some of the original homeowners from the '70's still live there and keep up a vigilant HOA and crime watch. Eventually two of my children went to Mayde Creek Elem before we moved away and although a Title I, their teachers were great, classes were small (like 16-17--smaller than other Katy schools) and they were happy. We had a big yard; neighbors had a pool. If you keep an eye on HOA, you can find an updated house for $80-$100K.
Added: Also this neighborhood had a direct cut out of it, through a shopping center, onto feeder of I10--making freeway access under 2 min. from our house.

Last edited by kaymurr; 03-19-2012 at 06:52 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM

18 posts, read 32,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
There are a lot of places for that within 15 min of downtown. Near Northside, Second Ward, Third Ward, 5th Ward, Aldine, etc.
Don't go to any of these.
Look at Pasadena or Alvin

Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM

28 posts, read 28,214 times
Pretty much mission impossible unless you want to live in a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston