Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM

28 posts, read 173,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
I'm looking at new homes in Riverstone, I've narrowed down my search to one plan from Coventry and one plan from Ashton Woods. Given I'm looking at a dirt build, does it make sense to involve a realtor at this stage of the game? At the end of the day, would I be able to negotiate a 3% reduction in sales price since I don't have a realtor/agent? Builders don't seem to be negotiating much on dirt builds, so wouldn't a 3% reduction in price (plus any upgrades I can negotiate) outweigh the discounts/upgrades a realtor would be able to get me?

I understand I would want to have the house/grounds inspected at multiple stages during the build and I would visit the build site a couple times a week to make sure everything was up to par (I assume these visits would be done to ensure all the options and upgrades were being done properly) in the absence of having a realtor.

Thank you!

thats a real good question that i had in mind good responses too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 PM

413 posts, read 1,179,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
You should have had a pre-construction meeting with the builder where you went over the plan right? If you had any electrical questions you would go over the electrical plan of the blueprint. On the electrical plan the light fixtures are clearly marked. Builders have to build "per plan", otherwise a customer could just assume anything is standard. If it's not on the feature sheet and it's not on the blueprint, it's not standard.
They shared the blueprints after the contract was signed. Once the contract is signed we can't do anything to change it.

350K plan has recessed lights in media, 370K plan has recessed lights in media, 390K plan has recessed lights in media, 420K plan has recessed lights in media, 430K plan has recessed lights in media - it's just my 400K plan that's special and doesn't have those. All the houses that I saw had it standard so I didn't bother to ask. It's nothing but an attempt to make an extra $1300 by Coventry.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Go with a realtor. You won't get the 3% i.e around 8-10K but the realtor will give you right advice if you're building the first time. If you have built before, you might go solo depending on how you can negotiate.

Make a list of everything and don't assume anything is standard even if you saw it standard on some other house. Coventry will make every effort to extort money at every level if you don't do your homework.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
We went with a realtor and we'd do it again.
She helped with the negotiations, she helped with all paperwork and contracts throughout the whole process and she was there at closing. She made sure everything went smoothly and helped answer our questions when we had them.

Also find a third party inspector to do a 3-phase inspection. This was also a big help and totally worth the money.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,427 times
Yes its always best to have a Realtor. If they have experience with new home sales they will be a wealth of information.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
NO. You do not need a realtor. If you are a detail-oriented person who is willing to do the preliminary research (which will help you negotiate your best deal), you will be fine.

I did a dirt build with Ashton Woods in 2007 and did not use a realtor. I had no problems or surprises.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
NO. You do not need a realtor. If you are a detail-oriented person who is willing to do the preliminary research (which will help you negotiate your best deal), you will be fine.

I did a dirt build with Ashton Woods in 2007 and did not use a realtor. I had no problems or surprises.
If you've built a house before and know to check the elevation, options, standard, electrical plan, plubming etc before signing a contract - then it's ok. Once you sign a contract, coventry will not give you a single lightbulb depending in which subdivision you're building. Coventry will try not to share these with you before you sign the contract - so approach it that way.

Last edited by smuggy_mba; 03-05-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apartment Lady-Sophia View Post
Having a Real Estate Agent is always great, what others say may work best for them however they paid more than they would have with a Real Estate agent in most cases and paid ALL their closing cost out of their pocket. They also had no one that was working for their best interest.

As a buyer you need someone that is looking out for your best interest, the sales counselor works for the builder so who do you think they are looking out for you or their boss? When I help a buyer with the purchase of a new home I also help them with their closing cost which I am allowed to do by my governing Real Estate Commission. Having a Real Estate Agent help you is always better for the buyer, always. I save you time, help you with the fine details and help you with your closing cost.
Do you rebate 2/3 of your commission back to the buyer after they close?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Do you rebate 2/3 of your commission back to the buyer after they close?
Not if she's any good.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Not if she's any good.
Her governing real estate commission allows her to pay everybody's closing costs, surely she donates her commission too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston