Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times

Advertisements

In a couple of years I will be retiring and moving to the Houston area to be closer to family. I know that the only affordable option will be to live in suburbia if I want to have a house of reasonable size with the features I'd like to have. Based on looking at the suburbs on the west side via Google Earth and Street View, I like what I see.

So...I'm looking for recommendations based on the following criteria:

Neighborhood of new homes that have a good reputation for high quality construction and design

Price range $200-250K

Very strict neighborhood association (I'm tired of living in neighborhoods where you pay a lot but end up with unmowed yards, peeling paint, graffitti, property crime, etc.) I want to live in a neighborhood where 100 percent of the properties are well maintained.

Nice commercial areas.

Avenues that have nicely landscaped medians that are well maintained.

Good variety of restaurants nearby.

Relatively easy access to Houston proper. I've heard that the Westpark tollway is an easy drive all the way into the Uptown area (Galleria). I've driven the newly rebuilt I-10 and it seems pretty nice, too.

I'd like to rule out Cypress, since 290 is treacherous and frequently gridlocked due to accidents, even during non-rush periods.

Wouldn't mind living in a 55+ community if there are any in west-side suburbia.

Anyway, those are my criteria...suggestions from those who live in that area?

I really appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Cinco over Sugar Land - strictly because of house/money per sq foot. Sugar Land is nice - homes just are a little less in Cinco - and Cinco just as nice. I know you did not want Cypress - but you should at least look - more house for the money than Cinco - and 99 expansion (coming soon) and 290 expansion (coming later) will change the price structure later. Older houses in Champions will be even more house for the money - and again, 99 and 290 expansions AND Exxon facility will really mean an appreciation later.

BTW, I run up and down 290 all of the time. Just stay away during rush hour, unless doing a reverse commute.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Cinco over Sugar Land - strictly because of house/money per sq foot. Sugar Land is nice - homes just are a little less in Cinco - and Cinco just as nice. I know you did not want Cypress - but you should at least look - more house for the money than Cinco - and 99 expansion (coming soon) and 290 expansion (coming later) will change the price structure later. Older houses in Champions will be even more house for the money - and again, 99 and 290 expansions AND Exxon facility will really mean an appreciation later.

BTW, I run up and down 290 all of the time. Just stay away during rush hour, unless doing a reverse commute.
Those narrow lanes on 290 are really scary to me, so I'd rather not drive 290 even when traffic isn't so bad.

What is 99?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Those narrow lanes on 290 are really scary to me, so I'd rather not drive 290 even when traffic isn't so bad.

What is 99?
The Grand Parkway - our third circle loop, which wil make Houston look like a target from outer space.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Cinco Ranch will be closing out before the end of this year. If commute is not an issue you may want to look into the Cypress area.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Cinco Ranch will be closing out before the end of this year. If commute is not an issue you may want to look into the Cypress area.
WOW I could have sworn that they were building right up to firethorne, they must be selling homes like hotcakes. I can't wait the see how north Katy proper is going to develop in the years to come.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Nope. New sections being added.
www.cincoranch.com/new

And if you are looking there but want a little more for your money and a smaller neighborhood focused more on the natural setting, check out Cross Creek Ranch across the street (corner of 1463/1093).

Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM

43 posts, read 152,790 times
I'd recommend Cross Creek Ranch and Cinco Ranch. Both are nice MPCs, with Cross Creek being the newer of the two. I have heard that Cinco has a 55+ community called Heritage Grand (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think they are building new, but you may be able to get into a resale. There are tons of smaller communities south of I-10, like Pine Mill Ranch, Westheimer Lakes North, etc. You may be able to get a little more house for your money in those neighborhoods. It depends on how much you expect in terms of amenities, in my opinion.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Cross creek is really far out, forget about having many restaurants and similar there anytime soon. I'm surprised no one has mentioned First Colony in SugarLand as that describes his desires to a T. For new construction, Telfair, Aliana or RiverStone would be good, better access into Houston as there's more than one route in from the SugarLand areas and they're closer in mileage than some other suggestions.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM

76 posts, read 257,704 times
If you want a HOA who actually enforces, then hands down, Cinco Ranch. I can't speak for Firethorne or Cross Creek, but I did live in Cinco for a year and my mom lived there for 7. I also have friends who live there. They do send out letters and enforce. In addition, all of the walking trails are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston