Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM

250 posts, read 658,734 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from Irvine, a suburb of Los Angeles. Irvine has a Mediterranean climate and experiences 13 inches of rain, the vast majority of it in the winter. In the summer it is bone dry, and the summer humidity is about 20%, but the temperatures can rise over (38 C) 100F. However, once a month, we would have a random thunderstorm nearby, and the humidity might rise to 70% with temps in the low 80s.

In Hong Kong, the summer humidity was much higher. The humidity metre on the local television channel usually read 96% in the afternoon, and the lowest it would get was 85% in the morning. 85% was accepted as unusually comfortable, and sometimes we had 100% humidity with temps higher than 35C (95F).

Thus, I've experienced both dry and humid heat. I think dry heat is more intolerable. Typically, in Irvine, it was 20% humidity with 100F and 0mph winds, 10 miles inland, no cloud cover (e.g., VERY intense sunlight). In Hong Kong, it was 96% humidity at 95F with (maybe) 2 mph breeze, 1 mile insland, and there was some cloud cover with maybe some jungle mist.

I know people will argue that humidity makes people sweat more, but dry heat can be even more painful-it feels like being on fire, AND you still sweat alot (but maybe not as much). Would you rather be sweating profusely or sweating slightly less AND be fried?

So, how humid is Houston? I heard it is humid, but is it Hong Kong type, constantly 96% humidity? I heard Washington DC has its "90/90" days with 90F and 90% humidity, but if that is so, then Hong Kong has its "100/100" days, with 100F and 100% humidity (without any rain.) And what do you think about dry heat, like in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Death Valley and Los Angeles vs. humidity in Houston and Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
95F with 50% humidity in the daytime, 80F with 90% humidity at night is pretty usual.

Dry heat is much more tolerable to me at our temperatures. Once it gets to a certain temperature though, then it's equally uncomfortable or worse. Take Dallas-Fort Worth for example-- that area feels like a blast furnace in the peak of summer. However they have nice summer mornings where ours are still sticky and hot.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,315,810 times
Houston is humid but not as humid/hot as Singapore. Ive not spent enough time in Hong Kong to compare to it. Singapore's typical day is like the worst (hottest temp and high humidy) Houston summer day. I prefer dry heat to humidity as a warm natured person but will agree the lack of clouds in dry heat areas makes a difference. The radiant heat from sun baking down on cars or roofs is not meaningless. I will take Dallas to Houston weather wise, Dallas is lower humidity than Houston but not as baked as desert climates like Phoenix and area I am familiar.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,082,359 times
houstons heat is pretty bad. sometimes you have to throw in the mosquitos to make it even worse. when i lived in san antonio for 3 years i actually didnt mind the heat at all there, there were less mosquitos and it was also cooler at night.

i lived in burbank this past year and although it got hot in july, aug and september, its nothing compared to the south texas gulf coast region. i didnt even have to worry about putting the A/C on once it got to around 9pm. i could leave the door open, let the cool air in and not worry about bugs coming in either.

ive never been in phx during their summer (only spring and fall months), but vegas was pretty brutal, felt like an oven, but i think i can also tolerate that type of heat more than houston humidity.

LA is in there, but only the valley LA region gets hot. west LA gets warm, but always cool at night.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,502,384 times
Late spring to end of summer hummidity stay at about 70%+ day & night

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM

403 posts, read 676,436 times
Humidity doesn't make people sweat more. A higher moisture content in the air simply disallows the body to cool via evaporative processes. Thus the feeling you get of not being able to dry off; the air simply won't allow sufficient moisture transfer from your skin. It is not at all unusual for humidity to increase at night due to the ambient temperature coming down closer to the dew point, which tends to fluctuate less in these kinds of environments in the summer. Thus any "cooling" that might occur due to a lowering temperature at night, is often minimized due to the higher heat content of moist air relative to drier air. There's a comfort balance point for many people. A dry heat can allow sweating without the feeling of moisture on your skin due to the rapid transfer of moisture from sweat glands to the surrounding environment. In fact, if you've ever gone somewhere like Keystone, CO, in the winter, it can be pretty freakin' cold, but due to the dryness and the elevation, you can lose a tremendous amount of body water in a short period of time. This is exacerbated during exertion as well (skiing/snowboarding), as every exhalation contains a fair amount of moisture from the lungs. In general, places at latitudes such as Houston, or most of SE Asia for that matter, tend to be humid enough as to be pretty uncomfortable for a good portion of the year. However, most of the desert SW in the U.S. can have similar tendencies, at the other end of the heat/humidity spectrum. I've been down in Death Valley during the Badwater Ultramarathon. It is phenomenal how much moisture you lose, in just minutes, and you don't feel a thing. Any extended stay in that area requires consumption of gallons of water per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston