Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM

41 posts, read 96,001 times

Advertisements

So we found fleas in our rental house in January and had them treated by Natures Pest Control. We also had the outside of the house sprayed for general pests. We don't have any pets inside our house and the occasional cat that strolls through our yard or under the house. I have 2 of those flea traps with the light and sticky pads.. I changed the sticky pad a couple days ago and already I see a couple fleas in there How are these guys getting in here? Is it fairly common to find fleas in a no pet home in houston? And since the pest control has come, we are seeing MORE of the tree roaches... what the heck?! Is it the weather? Do roaches and fleas come inside when it rains? Help me understand... these bugs are totally new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,421 times
You will never rid them 100%. Impossible. But you can keep it under control.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 PM

41 posts, read 96,001 times
Okay, so I shouldn't panic if I find a couple here or there?

When we initially moved in the summer the fleas must have been really bad because we kept getting bitten but had NO idea what was biting us... then the bites kind of just died off... then in Jan the bites started again and after asking around we determined it was indeed fleas. I had never even seen one before that.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 PM

61,678 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Adult fleas can live as long as two years without feeding.
Here you can read about:
Fleas In Lawn - Yards
Clean and Clutter-free: I have no pets but I found millions of fleas in my basement.

You can use vinegar to kill fleas inside your house:
All you have to do is to place a bowl of vinegar in the affected room each night and in the morning it will be full of dead fleas. They are attracted to the smell and climb in and drown.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 AM

621 posts, read 1,332,993 times
They get on your shoes and pants/socks when you walk thru the yard....Then into your home

I have even had them in my truck...It sucks, but treat regularly and it should be ok

Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,131 times
That is kind of weird to have fleas in your home but no animals. We have animals in our home and no fleas. Fleas don't generally try to live off of humans. I'd say your experience is not normal for Houston.

I would be looking for some type of animal living in your walls or attic. or if it's a rental what kind of people lived there before you. I'd have a professional come in and take care of it. I never have a problem with fleas catching a ride on me to get into the house. If you find feces in your yard remove it. it'll help stem off all types of bugs.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 PM

105 posts, read 168,857 times
Default Fleas

You can get rid of them, call a nursey or a feed store & get you some DE, do not get the kind for a swimming pool. Shake it on your carpet and vacuum it.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,161 times
Or give one of the cats a permanent job inside your home, and voila, no more fleas on you! (they prefer the cat)

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,733,169 times
Having fleas in your home is not common to Houston that I am aware of, sounds like you have an infestation from the previous renters. Keep getting regular pest treatments along with other suggestions such as DE and vinegar and over time you should be able to wipe them out. Just be sure you don't bring them along with you when you move to your next place.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,476 times
We're in a rental and I have a large dog and guinea pigs. No fleas in the house or on the dog and I don't use those nasty chemical flea treatments regularly...just once every few years.

I know that my rental had animals before us and again, we haven't seen any fleas. If you had an infestation before you lived there I can see that they would still be around. The life cycle of a flea is very short (24 hrs..36hrs?) so if you vacuum every day and empty the canister into a sealed bag outside trash can daily it will help dramatically reduce the population. Also you can sprinkle boric acid (Borax washing powder) that will kill them and is certified for organic use. Also, you can spray live beneficial nematodes in your backyard and they eat the flea larvae. You can order these online, attach to your hose (like you do fertilizer) and spray down the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston