Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times

Advertisements

Is Galveston still unsafe at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Probably so... Galveston has an extremely high rate of rapes per capita.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:44 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
Galveston is a troubled little island. It is not safe but neither is it unsafe. Places like Miami and New Orleans had my negative gut-feelings on overtime when it came to unsafe.

But it is what it is. It's a trap for the economically challenged but a wonderful getaway from Houston. It does not have the bluest surf (especially) summer but as a place of diversion it is infinitely more ambient than the relatively safe, vanilla (boring!) Clearwater Beach, Florida and eccentric than the plastic and pretentious cookie-cutter beach towns across coastal Southern California.

I've lived in some of the beach towns of Florida and Southern California and that's the way I've seen it.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 41,055 times
I think Galveston is in the process of experiencing a major turnaround. A lot of people there are actually taking into consideration it's long heritage and slowly but surely it's being cleaned up. However the crime warnings are mostly correct. Here's a link that explains why:

Which Houston-Area Cities Have Highest, Lowest Crime Rates? - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/4422587/detail.html - broken link)

Some parts of the island appear to be a "tourist trap" but the longer you stay there and the more you poke around into the older parts of the city, the more wonderfully interesting history you dig up.

If you're looking to get rich, I wouldn't recommend living there, but if you are (as you say) just looking for a decent living, I don't think it would be beyond your reach. As for hurricanes- there's always something somewhere. Earthquakes, snow, volcanoes- Mother Nature is everywhere, LOL! But seriously, after Rita, the mayor of Galveston and governor of Texas will be taking NO chances when it comes to people's safety. It was a costly lesson, but they learned that long ago, even before Rita.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM

150 posts, read 693,863 times
Default FWIW, a local's thoughts on Galveston

We've lived in Galveston for 6 years and live here now. It is a very unique and diverse place. We are moving because the public schools are not great, and ... we are just ready for a change. But, Galveston is not a bad place to live. It took me awhile, but I have come to appreciate what a neat little city it is. Here are some random thoughts that come to mind...

If you are interested in history, you will be fascinated by Galveston's.

If you have kids, there are good (and very affordable private schools). And there is a huge waterpark, fabulous aquarium, surfing lessons, lots of sports and activities and festivals for kids. Activities galore throughout the year.

There is a beautiful historical district (where we live) where you can live in a Victorian historical home and be within a short walk to restaurants, shops, the beach; several churches; a castle; a wonderful library; a major cruise ship terminal; a major medical school and hospitals; and the downtown area (shops, restaurants, loft apartments, theater, etc.)

There are housing projects here, and they are visible. Avoid those areas. There is a Salvation Army on the main thoroughfare. Many cities have the homeless, but in Galveston they are very visible. The city does not, by any stretch, have a clean and unblemished look to it. It kind of has a grittiness/edginess to it. I personally don't think that's necessarily bad.

The humidity, especially in July and August, is oppressive and stifling. The mosquitoes can be too. But in the fall, you can sleep with your windows open.

There are beautiful neighborhoods on the bay with very expensive waterfront homes, docks, boat slips, etc. There is a private country club and a private and public golf course.

There are pockets of family-oriented middle-class neighborhoods scattered throughout the city. There are several nice apartment complexes.

The beach water stays warm for much of the year, so you can swim well into fall. The beaches are not white-sand, blue water, but they are not "dirty" either. The water appears brown due to the sandbars and the dark color of the sand.

You can see dolphins during your drive to Wal-Mart or the grocery store.

The city recently got a Marshall's, a Ross Dress for Less, and Hooter's.

The city is changing for the better. More money is being spent on beautifying the seawall area and upgrading parks and rec facilities. It's really not a bad place to live. In all my years here, I have never felt afraid or threatened. Crime happens, but it must be concentrated in areas that the average person would naturally steer clear of anyway.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Thank you Isle_Gal. That post was very informative. I have lots to consider.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
When we went though there it was very clean and it had a good vibe. The Wal*Mart on the sea wall was very clean and nice.. it was being retro fitted when we went in, but it was still very clean. I have this thing I do.. every city I plan to live in I visit the Wal*Mart.. you can get a good idea of its peoples diversity that way.. and from what I saw Galveston is very diverse.

I'm not looking to get rich.. just live some place with a good vibe, a diverse population, a beach with crashing waves, and with history to it. Galveston gave me all that while I was there. And thats why I am looking forward to living there.
Well, compared to El Paso, this definitely is a world away, Muhnay. At least you'll be back in Texas now. But I do think you're going to enjoy Galveston. And Saltgrass is a longtime favorite of mine for steak. I'm hoping I can get to go back to the island in the springtime.

If you get some more city shots, pass them on!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
The beach water stays warm for much of the year, so you can swim well into fall. The beaches are not white-sand, blue water, but they are not "dirty" either. The water appears brown due to the sandbars and the dark color of the sand.
Man Infected With Flesh-Eating Bacteria Finally Goes Home - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/14401936/detail.html - broken link)

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 PM

150 posts, read 693,863 times
Default An ounce of prevention ...

Iin my 6 years here, during which we and our friends/neighbors have spent many days at the beach, I have never heard of anyone who lives here encountering the "flesh-eating-bacteria." It is extremely rare, which is why it made headlines. The locals know that if you go swimming w/an open cut or sore of any kind, dab it w/rubbing alcohol when you get out of the water to kill any germs.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 AM

Yeah, I think the guy had diabetes and some other issues besides no common sense. Harmless mud or not, I personally will never hit any Texas beach barefoot, nor will I get in the waters. I save that for the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston