Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

I drove though Galveston Tx on my way to El Paso, spent a day there looking around, and I was very impressed. The wife was offered a job at a dennys there while we were eating, and the Manager even said he knew a guy renting a 3 bedroom house he could work a deal on it for us. I work Security, and found a job there that same day as well. But I was not able to act on this at this time, I have to get to El Paso to help family. But I am considering it.. am I foolish to do so?

I fell in love with the city rather quickly.. but I was just a day visitor, and dont know anything about the city.. can someone from the area clue me in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I drove though Galveston Tx on my way to El Paso, spent a day there looking around, and I was very impressed. The wife was offered a job at a dennys there while we were eating, and the Manager even said he knew a guy renting a 3 bedroom house he could work a deal on it for us. I work Security, and found a job there that same day as well. But I was not able to act on this at this time, I have to get to El Paso to help family. But I am considering it.. am I foolish to do so?

I fell in love with the city rather quickly.. but I was just a day visitor, and dont know anything about the city.. can someone from the area clue me in?
Galveston has been experiencing a boom. The schools are not that great but if you don't have kids that won't be an issue. There are certainly a lot of restaurants there now and so there would be opportunities for your wife above and beyond Denny's.

While there are still plenty of affordable places, with the increase in people purchasing week-end cottages in the city, prices have been rising and putting a squeeze on people of more modest means.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM

What do you consider Affordable? And what is the average wage paid there? In Gulfport Mississippi 8.50 was pretty much the average pay as an example. Where the federal Minimum is pretty standerd in El Paso TX where I am now. Speaking of El Paso, do you think the schools in Galveston are better than El Paso, or about on par with one another?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
What do you consider Affordable? And what is the average wage paid there? In Gulfport Mississippi 8.50 was pretty much the average pay as an example. Where the federal Minimum is pretty standerd in El Paso TX where I am now. Speaking of El Paso, do you think the schools in Galveston are better than El Paso, or about on par with one another?
Gosh, I couldn't tell you in comparison to El Paso. I am not familiar with it at all. I have spent time in Gulfport and my impression (not anything more than that) is the economy was a lot more limited there than in Galveston and the bay area.

I think there are still a lot of cheap rentals in Galveston, but the city continues to gentrify more and more. It used to be completely dead. The cruise ship business and the market for second homes has really turned things around. If it continues on that path, and you continue to rent down there, you could have trouble finding affordable rentals a few years down the road.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:16 PM

So compaired to Gulfport where rents range from 800-1200 a month for a small 2-3 bedroom house or Apt.. but where jobs ranged in pay from $8.00 - $12.00 an hour.. would you say that Galveston pays better and rents on par or better than that?

Yeah Gulfport was a great place to live, but I did notice that the cost of living there was rather high, food and utilities were very high. All the people who lived around me were working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet.. and like I said thats at 8-12 an hour.

I work in the Security Field, would you happen to know what they are paying in Galveston for that field? I was the Chief of Security for the Fort Bliss Inn a 2000 bed facility.

I also have 3 kids from 14,12 and 9. And from what I understand the Schools there are no better or worse than the ones in El Paso. So I am not too worried about that.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Any info would be nice.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Galveston: Visit But Don't Live Here.

(Somebody needs to hire me as their tourism slogan thinker-upper.)

Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 PM

LOL, why do you say that?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:17 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
LOL, why do you say that?
Because it's too expensive, it's too close to the water (hurricanes), the traffic sucks, there is only one way to get out if you need to get out...I could go on, really.

Plus...I know there are people who rag on Houston because it's not a trendy tourist spot, and that's exactly why I live here. If I wanted to live in a tourist trap I'd go to New Orleans or something.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Ahh.. well considering I have lived in Gulfport MS for the last 6 months, and have no fear of Hurricanes or bad traffic, and the cost of living was much more there than from what I have found out so far in Galveston.. I will consider your opinion as one of a person unhappy with where he/she lives.

See I would never live in New Orleans.. too much crime and the whole living below sea level thing is not for me. I happen to like the whole tourist trap look and feel of Glaveston, but I saw more of the city than just that.. there is history and old buildings and a cutting edge art scene, and much more.

Hurricanes give you some warning.. so you can get out if need be.. I also noticed Texas has a pretty advanced Hurricane plan.. so thats a plus.

But thanks for your opinion.. I will consider it. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston