Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,698 times

Advertisements

Let me explain. During the boom years I remember oil workers were very smug and like to talk about their new trucks. I remember the term "party like a rockstar" being used frequently to describe the average weekend. Oil workers liked to to talk about how a college degree would only hold you back. There was money to be made with only a high school education.

Now the forces of macroeconomics have swung against the oil patch. I hear people talking about when the industry will recover, but the truth is the industry will never recover. OGP has been changed forever. The days of paying workers $25 an hour to do work that was valued at only $14 are over. The industry has become more efficient and that means that the workers will have to be more productive will less compensation.

This is the new normal. Even if oil prices rebound that will not lead to higher wages for the workers only more profits for the company. Why didn't the oil workers understand that the past few years were a bubble? That is why it is called a bubble, because you can't see when it will pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,676 times
Take satisfaction in other people's misfortunes? Grow up.
I have worked in Oil and Gas for a long time. Myself as well as many of the old timers knew it was a bubble. The younger folks maybe not so much.
When the next boom happens workers will get paid whatever the market dictates. This ain't the first rodeo man.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:40 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,874 times
I know people who don't live in this state who do take satisfaction in the downturn. They think "we" deserve it. It makes me so angry. My husband went to school for 11 years to earn 3 degrees to get his job in O&G and we live responsibly. No big trucks or anything like that over here. So for people to think that O&G workers deserve misfortune is completely wrong, childish, and mean-spirited.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM

226 posts, read 306,864 times
OP:

Oh right, because all o&g workers are HS diploma field hands? What about those that have 1-2 college degrees, work desk jobs, make decent $ (not 100k+), and have been let go? Putting kids through college, paying mortgages and other bills, then that "super high o&g salary" doesn't go that far.

Why do people believe every person tied to O&G is a millionaire with a HS diploma? Are there some out there that blow wads of $, sure, but that exists in all facets of life. Are there also many out there that saved up, don't "party like rockstars" and live normal lives, yes plenty.

But go ahead and keep lumping them all together and praising the doom on them. Stay classy.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM

447 posts, read 488,348 times
Excuse me?????? Take satisfaction in the misery of others? That's pathetic. No matter what you see, or hear, to enjoy when somebody else is suffering, no matter what d..head that person is, is simply wrong.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlonghorn View Post
Let me explain. During the boom years I remember oil workers were very smug and like to talk about their new trucks. I remember the term "party like a rockstar" being used frequently to describe the average weekend. Oil workers liked to to talk about how a college degree would only hold you back. There was money to be made with only a high school education.

Now the forces of macroeconomics have swung against the oil patch. I hear people talking about when the industry will recover, but the truth is the industry will never recover. OGP has been changed forever. The days of paying workers $25 an hour to do work that was valued at only $14 are over. The industry has become more efficient and that means that the workers will have to be more productive will less compensation.

This is the new normal. Even if oil prices rebound that will not lead to higher wages for the workers only more profits for the company. Why didn't the oil workers understand that the past few years were a bubble? That is why it is called a bubble, because you can't see when it will pop.
cool story bro.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
It's not limited to oil and gas, look at the people who are orgasmic about the collapse of the coal industry. Both industries are cyclical. Oil will come back, coal probably won't.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-26-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 AM

186 posts, read 209,526 times
smh. i have no words.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,293 times
But they speak so highly of you.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,057,357 times
Feed not the trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston