Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Exxon Mobile
Back when I was recruiting for the energy companies I worked for, inability to spell the company name correctly generally led to disqualification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Back when I was recruiting for the energy companies I worked for, inability to spell the company name correctly generally led to disqualification.
Sorry "Mobil". And its not that serious DUDE.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
True that :-) Try recruiting for Schlumberger :-) When I go to college campuses is hilarious to hear them kids pronouncing Schlumberger, forget about spelling it... But we still hire them if they meet the more important criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post

Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM

25 posts, read 59,714 times
IT is the one area I think makes it silly easy to get into the Oil & Energy sector. If accounting does not pan out, you may want to consider IT. Hardware makes decent money, software can really rake it in.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM

131 posts, read 520,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddamiv View Post
IT is the one area I think makes it silly easy to get into the Oil & Energy sector. If accounting does not pan out, you may want to consider IT. Hardware makes decent money, software can really rake it in.
I've been trying to applying to National Oilwell. I submitted my app almost a month now. Still not decision heard back from HR manager, what's up with that?

I have an accounting degree, and been working in IT for a year now.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlan View Post
I've been trying to applying to National Oilwell. I submitted my app almost a month now. Still not decision heard back from HR manager, what's up with that?

I have an accounting degree, and been working in IT for a year now.
Not a big shortage of these skills in oil and gas,

The shortage is in engineers and geoscientist as the demographics of this group is a lot reaching retirement age now. Few new grads in these degrees over the past 20 years to rebuilt their pipeline of talent. With increasing global demand for energy there is a big shortage of these skills now. Accounting, IT, HR, Procurement etc are not in short supply so fewer openings in those areas in oil and gas. The green movement in the US at least has reduced the numbe of engineers or geoscientist as young adults dont want to work for what is perceived to be big evil oil. The pay and benefits for oil are very attractive due to the wealth creation of this manufacturing industry so Asians, Middle-easterns, some Eastern Europeans, French and Africans who have this education and want this work are getting the jobs.

These degrees in demand arent fun majors in college as they leave little time for work, play etc. They also require someone with advanced math skills to handle the work. The best way to get into oil and gas is to show a willingness to go to the more remote work locations like ND, Pa. Another way into oil and gas is as reservoir tech or production tech with great math skills and some understanding of economics someone with a degree can apply for these openings and get into oil and gas this way.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 04-17-2012 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM

23 posts, read 68,739 times
I would also suggest that you network and check postings on the energy group on Linkedin

Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM

286 posts, read 739,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsfan View Post
I have a degree in finance and I worked as an analyst for a consulting company for a few years.

The recruiters told me that I'll probably have to start off in the mail room or do data entry for a few months before I can get one of the positions that requires a degree (analyst/technician roles). I'm ok with that, I just want to get started as soon as possible.

Suggestions? Thanks
That can't be right at all. I got in just by applying to jobs I saw that looked interested (try oil & gas based career sites like rigzone.com or applying directly to the companies you're interested in). I started as an analyst in the corporate office. No mail room or data entry for me.

Write a good resume and a good cover letter that highlights your experience and accomplishments and network a lot. And oh, it helps to read up on the challenges in the industry so you can talk knowledgeably about what's going on -- rigzone, the Houston Chronicle, and Oil & Gas Journal are just a few that can help keep you to date.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
True that :-) Try recruiting for Schlumberger :-) When I go to college campuses is hilarious to hear them kids pronouncing Schlumberger, forget about spelling it... But we still hire them if they meet the more important criteria.
You hired applicants who couldn't spell Schlumberger?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You hired applicants who couldn't spell Schlumberger?
We're talking about the Oil and Gas business right?

Anyhow, why not apply at the grunt level? Hydraulic Well Service crews use IT and guys with Chemical back grounds all the time. I mean at some point you have to pay your dues. Ask anyone in the business an they started out doing grunt work learning the business from the ground up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston