Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdozier View Post
Perry's have improved greatly in the last 5 os so years. I chose a Ryland base on the poor cabinet quality in the Perry. When I purchased 7 years ago Perry would build cabinets onsite from poor quality materiels and it was not uncommon to see cabinet doors falling off in the models. We recently shopped and purchased a new Ryland Rhapsody that is currently being built. The good news is the new Perrys had modern cabinets, but I could never get past the doors falling off in the past.
Nice floor plan! We were trying to decide between that one and ours (a cantata) but it was a brand new plan at h time and didn't have any built that we could see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Our Ryland is 22 yrs old and we love it!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Perry rules, Ryland drools.

Ronnie

Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
In the under 200k range we went with Perry because of all the things that came standard did circles around other builders. Ceiling to Floor windows, very nice quality cabinets, granite and great fit and finish of most things. It is the little things in quality that matter.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:26 PM

538 posts, read 1,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdozier View Post
Perry's have improved greatly in the last 5 os so years. I chose a Ryland base on the poor cabinet quality in the Perry. When I purchased 7 years ago Perry would build cabinets onsite from poor quality materiels and it was not uncommon to see cabinet doors falling off in the models. We recently shopped and purchased a new Ryland Rhapsody that is currently being built. The good news is the new Perrys had modern cabinets, but I could never get past the doors falling off in the past.
You're going to love your Rhapsody! I'm sitting here with the front door open, while my two dogs are sunning themselves in the courtyard.

This house is perfect for us.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 AM

2 posts, read 10,233 times
Default Ryland and Perry Merger. . . WONDERFUL!!

Just sold our Perry Home in Cinco Ranch - 5000 sq. ft. $5K, plus

Great resale value on Perry homes; but, mainly because of the location in Cinco Ranch.

Perry builds a nice house but not without construction issues, too. All Perry houses in our subdivision had inferior Goodman A/C units. Every Perry resident had to replace or deal with major A/C issues within the first two years. Other builders' home owners did not experience any such problems.

Perry's electrical contractors are not good at all. Our media room was not wired properly and after house was completed we were stuck with exposed wires to accomodate future installations. The placement for the TV was on the wrong wall. There was a window in the room as well, (not media-like). Watch out for electrical outlets, internet and phone line jacks being arbitrarily misplaced. My husband noticed that the electrical wiring was not being done according to code. The workers agreed with my husband but admitted that Perry instructed them to do so. My husband talked with Perry's on-site building contractor and he agreed to do what needed to be done without a fuss. . . and quickly!!

Perry gives lots of closet space, large rooms and wide doorway accomodations. However, "No perks", can't change anything, not accoding to their building plans.

We are downsizing and decided to purchase a Ryland house. We have observed many complaints about Ryland online but love their Award-Winning Cantata floor plan. We are being watchful and cautious since we know stuff just happens during construction. We are also praying that the contractor has ethics and values that will not allow sub-standard work to be done on our last house.

Design Center experience at Ryland is second-class; nothing like Perry (which was a more knowledgeable and professional experience).

Watch out and report anything that is suspect and not working properly. Insist upon replacement instead of just repetitive repairs and the same problems exist. That's a signal that Perry knows something is wrong and just waiting out the 2-yr warranty period.

I would love to have a Perry Home with the Ryland features and upgrades!!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Bob Perry is a jerk every time the Texas Legislatures has a new bill that has something to do with a new homes he pays someone off in the Texas House to get the bill shut down. Another thing this guy does is if there is a some law he does not like that makes it a little harder to build new homes what does he do he pays someone off in the Texas Legislature to get the law changed. Check this site out for more info
http://www.thenationalhomeownersadvo..._BUILDER/18175

If Bob Perry gave me a 4000sqft to 5000sqft home I would set it on fire I do not support people that pay off people in the Government to change or deny new bills laws so they can make more money sorry
This has nothing to do with whether or not Perry builds a good product or not. I'm looking for a quality home and the person's political activities don't phase me as long as it doesn't affect the product I am paying for.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM

47 posts, read 175,555 times
Don't do Perry's in-house lender. We tried that route and they tried to screw us on multiple occasions. We eventually had to back out.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM

833 posts, read 1,885,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houselooker View Post
Don't do Perry's in-house lender. We tried that route and they tried to screw us on multiple occasions. We eventually had to back out.
We used Perry's lender without a problem but we also had them pay 100% of closing to use their lender as part of the deal. Perry's lender sold it the bank that actually bank with so it worked out well.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM

538 posts, read 1,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnkaty View Post
Just sold our Perry Home in Cinco Ranch - 5000 sq. ft. $5K, plus

Great resale value on Perry homes; but, mainly because of the location in Cinco Ranch.

Perry builds a nice house but not without construction issues, too. All Perry houses in our subdivision had inferior Goodman A/C units. Every Perry resident had to replace or deal with major A/C issues within the first two years. Other builders' home owners did not experience any such problems.

Perry's electrical contractors are not good at all. Our media room was not wired properly and after house was completed we were stuck with exposed wires to accomodate future installations. The placement for the TV was on the wrong wall. There was a window in the room as well, (not media-like). Watch out for electrical outlets, internet and phone line jacks being arbitrarily misplaced. My husband noticed that the electrical wiring was not being done according to code. The workers agreed with my husband but admitted that Perry instructed them to do so. My husband talked with Perry's on-site building contractor and he agreed to do what needed to be done without a fuss. . . and quickly!!

Perry gives lots of closet space, large rooms and wide doorway accomodations. However, "No perks", can't change anything, not accoding to their building plans.

We are downsizing and decided to purchase a Ryland house. We have observed many complaints about Ryland online but love their Award-Winning Cantata floor plan. We are being watchful and cautious since we know stuff just happens during construction. We are also praying that the contractor has ethics and values that will not allow sub-standard work to be done on our last house.

Design Center experience at Ryland is second-class; nothing like Perry (which was a more knowledgeable and professional experience).

Watch out and report anything that is suspect and not working properly. Insist upon replacement instead of just repetitive repairs and the same problems exist. That's a signal that Perry knows something is wrong and just waiting out the 2-yr warranty period.

I would love to have a Perry Home with the Ryland features and upgrades!!
Uh... why? After what you wrote, I would never want a Perry again.

I used to sell Perry homes in Lakeshore. I now own a Ryland. The quality of a production built home, is only going to be as good as the builder that is placed inside of the community.

The best of the best for Perry was placed in Lakeshore (at the time I was there). I've heard we have one of the very best for Ryland in my development.

Perry and Ryland are both very conservative companies. Neither will be willing to make many changes. IMO, and I have experience with both as well, Perry and Ryland are on par with each other, as far as construction quality. I will say though, I'd rather have shop-built cabinets, than those that Perry touts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston