U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 19,854 times

Advertisements

We live in the Tanglewood area, : I have an 4 years old daughter has been accepted to Annunciation Orthodox School and Duchesne Academy. Its really hard for us to make the decision which school should we choose. we've read a lot of reviews too, and we really like to hear your opinions. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 AM

53 posts, read 189,793 times
I would definitely recommend Annunciation Orthodox School. I have not heard very good things about Duschene Academy, but I have about AOS. AOS has good athletic opportunities as well as artistic opportunities. Have you considered St. John's, Kinkaid, River Oaks Baptist, Presbyterian?
The schools pretty much rank in this order, especially academically:
1. St. John's (SJS)
2. Kinkaid (KHS)
3. River Oaks Baptist (ROB OR ROBS)
4. Presbyterian (PS)
5. Annunciation Orthodox School (AOS)

I wish you luck; feel free to dm me if you would like

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 19,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello2200 View Post
I would definitely recommend Annunciation Orthodox School. I have not heard very good things about Duschene Academy, but I have about AOS. AOS has good athletic opportunities as well as artistic opportunities. Have you considered St. John's, Kinkaid, River Oaks Baptist, Presbyterian?
The schools pretty much rank in this order, especially academically:
1. St. John's (SJS)
2. Kinkaid (KHS)
3. River Oaks Baptist (ROB OR ROBS)
4. Presbyterian (PS)
5. Annunciation Orthodox School (AOS)

I wish you luck; feel free to dm me if you would like
Thank you. We are gonna apply St.John's next year. We really don't like Kinkaid, one of the family member was a teacher there. We also tried ROB twice, but didn't get accept.

Last edited by DingDing0220; 03-13-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingDing0220 View Post
Thank you. We are gonna apply St.John's next year. We really don't like Kinkaid, one of the famyily member was a teacher there. We also tried ROB twice, but didn't get accept.
If she's 4, what grade is she going to?
St. John's will be hard if your child didn't get into ROB.

How about Presbyterian?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 17,637 times
Hi, I have one daughter in Duchesne now and another one that graduated. Duchesne is a very hard academic school and their goal is to educate your daughters and get them into a very good University or College. Kids that graduate from Duchesne have been accepted at all the Ivy League Universities in the country including West Point with 4-year scholarships. The school is also very technologically advanced.

Yes their sports is not tops when compared to the other schools on that list but they do have sports and also a Robotic Team that competes Internationally. Over the years several girls have gone on to win tops sports awards in the state. They also have a very fine Fine and Performing Arts program.

There is allot of homework even when they go out for sports or the Arts. This is not an easy school.

If you want more information please let me know.

Mark

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5scuba View Post
Hi, I have one daughter in Duchesne now and another one that graduated. Duchesne is a very hard academic school and their goal is to educate your daughters and get them into a very good University or College. Kids that graduate from Duchesne have been accepted at all the Ivy League Universities in the country including West Point with 4-year scholarships. The school is also very technologically advanced.

Yes their sports is not tops when compared to the other schools on that list but they do have sports and also a Robotic Team that competes Internationally. Over the years several girls have gone on to win tops sports awards in the state. They also have a very fine Fine and Performing Arts program.

There is allot of homework even when they go out for sports or the Arts. This is not an easy school.

If you want more information please let me know.

Mark
But there is NO doubt whatsoever that AOS has a bigger name in the community, and the socialite families would rather their kids to AOS, ROBS, PS, SJS, and KHS then to Duschene

Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 17,637 times
Duchesne goes through HS and we have our share of "socialites". It all comes down to why you send your child to private school vs public school, to get a great education, and to give your child a head start in life.

Welcome to Houston and whatever school your daughter goes to I'm sure will be fine.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM

Yes, but there is no doubt that not NEARLY as many kids graduate from Duschene and go to the Ivy Leagues...
Look at the statistics:
Duschene: http://www.duchesne.org/html/SchProfile2011.pdf
St. John's: St. John's School ~ Matriculation
Kinkaid:http://www.kinkaid.org/uploaded/Abou...profile-v2.pdf

I am sorry to say this, but there is no doubt in the community that SJS and Kinkaid are better schools than Duschene and AOS is too..... AOS kids usually go to EHS/SJS/KHS

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

49 posts, read 121,313 times
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where the girls from those schools were accepted and enrolled.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notready View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where the girls from those schools were accepted and enrolled.
which schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>