Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

Well long story short I'm thinking about relocating to Houston. I am starting a new chapter in my life and feel that moving is necessary to my growth. I'm a 29 year old, african american male. I have a degree in Computer Information Systems and several other IT certifications. I recently lost my job and have no real desire to work in the corporate world anymore. I always have had an entrepreneurial spirit and would like to start my own green business in the IT field. I have a couple of questions and thought that you guys/girls would know best. 1. Is houston entrepreneur/small business friendly? 2. What areas would you suggest living in for work/play? (I wouldn't have a car yet so walking/public transportation would be my options) 3. What's a good resource for finding a job locally even though I am currently in ny? (I would ideally would like to have a job before I relocate since I do not know anyone out there). Thanks in advance for taking time to read my post. I appreciate any information/advice/suggestions that you all may have.

KJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
Can't help with the other stuff...but if you plan to live and work in Houston, you will need a car.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 PM

40 posts, read 83,082 times
I'd recommend joining a meetup.com group when you get here. Their are a lot of groups geared toward entrepreneurship that not only provide great info but are a great way to network with like minded people.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM

385 posts, read 967,955 times
One good source to find local jobs is Texas Workforce Commission - Workforce and Unemployment Resources work in Texas.
also indeed,monster.com, craigslist, chron.com, and thegreensheet.com may be good places to look for jobs.
For housing har.com
You don't have to have a car if you live inside the loop. The metro is pretty reliable.
METRO Schedules & Maps

Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
1. Yes Houston and texas are business friendly.
2. If you plan on having a dating/social life, you need a car.
3. Its not what you know, but who you know, so networking is the key to finding a job. Also try LinkedIn. And the usuals like Craigslist, career builder.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Thanks for all the responses. It seems like I will have to get a car asap when I get out there. I have just been spoiled living in nyc and public transportation being so convenient. I will take all of the suggestions and start networking right away. I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for all the input.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM

312 posts, read 797,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjfresh View Post
Well long story short I'm thinking about relocating to Houston. I am starting a new chapter in my life and feel that moving is necessary to my growth. I'm a 29 year old, african american male. I have a degree in Computer Information Systems and several other IT certifications. I recently lost my job and have no real desire to work in the corporate world anymore. I always have had an entrepreneurial spirit and would like to start my own green business in the IT field. I have a couple of questions and thought that you guys/girls would know best. 1. Is houston entrepreneur/small business friendly? 2. What areas would you suggest living in for work/play? (I wouldn't have a car yet so walking/public transportation would be my options) 3. What's a good resource for finding a job locally even though I am currently in ny? (I would ideally would like to have a job before I relocate since I do not know anyone out there). Thanks in advance for taking time to read my post. I appreciate any information/advice/suggestions that you all may have.

KJ
May I recommend strongly considering the Westchase area as a place to live and work. I'm biased because I live in the area and like it very much. Westchase is about 10 miles west of downtown. Westheimer Road and Richmond Avenue are two main streets that run through it. Westchase is the main commercial drag with several major shopping areas, restaurants, fast food, etc.

Lots of ethnic diversity. You will see Black (including immigrants from the African countries who are very entrepreneurial), Hispanic, Asian, South Asian (Indian), and White. Houston's main "Chinatown" is just to the south of this area along Bellaire Boulevard.

Many businesses in Westchase both large and small. Schlumberger has a major facility in the district. Heavy presence of engineers, geologists, etc., because of the oil and gas industry. You will be able to find office space for a reasonable price.

Be advised that Houston and the South and Western states are very suburban oriented, if you have been to California or Arizona, Houston is very much like a Los Angeles, Vegas or Phoenix in that people drive everywhere and almost all shopping is mainly clustered in shopping centers with massive parking lots. You can do public transit here, but it takes checking the schedules, which you can easily do on Google Maps. I do not own a car and take the bus to and from work, but I DO rent from Avis at least twice a month, which is great for running shopping errands on the weekends. There are Avis locations scattered throughout town.

Another area to at least take a quick look at is on the north side of town near Greenspoint Mall, but be advised, that area is not well respected, mainly because of the large blue-collar Black population in the apartment complexes there - many service workers for the Bush Intercontinental Airport live in this area.

Get to know the freeway system here, some of the major roads are toll roads, so you may want to get an EZ Tag if you buy a car. Most rental vehicles in this city will have an EZ Tag installed, or you can just drive on the roads and you'll get a bill for the toll after you return the vehicle.

Texas has no state income tax which is very attractive to a lot of folks, especially entrepreneurs.

So you have some research to do about the bus system, the freeway system, and neighborhoods. Browsing through these forums is also a great way to learn. Google Maps is your friend, especially Street View.

Last edited by micmac99; 03-08-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Another area to at least take a quick look at is on the north side of town near Greenspoint Mall, but be advised, that area is not well respected, mainly because of the large blue-collar Black population in the apartment complexes there - many service workers for the Bush Intercontinental Airport live in this area.

Greenspoint is also known as Gunspoint. I'm amazed anyone would recommend it. Its not respected because of the high crime rates in the apartments in the area and some high profile shootings in the past. Also, the public transportation would be very difficult there as there is limited service.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Greenspoint is also known as Gunspoint. I'm amazed anyone would recommend it. Its not respected because of the high crime rates in the apartments in the area and some high profile shootings in the past. Also, the public transportation would be very difficult there as there is limited service.
Yeah. I live in Gunspoint. The house next door has been broken into 3 times, there was a buy beating his wife in my driveway, the woman beating her boyfriend on the other side of me, a shooting 3 houses down, etc. But I do get along with the neighbors. They are always cool enough to offer me bbq, beer, and blunts even though I'm white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: