Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM

32 posts, read 134,837 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I moved from Rhode Island about 4 days ago and Im 30 weeks pregnant. Hes originaly from Deer Park and were staying with innlaws a bit until we get on our feet.

Our plan was to find a job in austin and stay here for a bit but its getting closer to my due date and he already found a great job down here in deer park... Our goal is someplace north of austin but for now we might be looking for some apartments around houston..

Anyone know of any nice safe affordable apartment complexes around the area? We saw a few new ones went up when we visited kemah the other night but Im not sure how much they are.. If you guys have any info about a nice family orented place to live around this area please let me know cause Im just a lost silly yankee down here with a weird accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,791,932 times
I'm not familiar with apartments around Deer Park. I am more familiar with inner-loop & edge of loop areas. Have you considered renting a small house or duplex instead?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 PM

I would love to although Im just not sure if the 600-800 price range is suitable for a duplex or house. Where trying to save a bit before heading into the higher prices.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
I don't think you can get a decent 2 bedroom place for 600 anywhere around unless you want to drive from even farther east. 800 is a more reasonable price for a safe 2 bedroom in this area. And a good estimate for a house is the rent is going to be about 1% of its value. Therefore a house worth $80,000 will be about $800/mo for rent. That's probably as low as a house goes for around here. (You could get lucky, though.)

Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsymeg View Post
I would love to although Im just not sure if the 600-800 price range is suitable for a duplex or house. Where trying to save a bit before heading into the higher prices.
I saw a small ranch for rent in Glenbrook for $825 on HAR. I think you are better off in a house than an apartment complex (if possible).

Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks so much guys, was a big help, If anyone else knows anything dont hesitate to let me know

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM

70 posts, read 429,351 times
To be in a safe and nice area, you'll need to pay a little more. The Broadwater is off Hwy 8 in Pasadena. Check out their website to get more info. Just google Broadwater Apartments.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM

690 posts, read 2,622,619 times
If your husband has a job in Deer Park, I'd try to stay on the southeast side of town. I commute from Deer Park to the Heights every day and it can be hell.

Deer Park only has, if I recall correctly, a few decent apartment complexes. The Alexan is nice, but IMO, way too high. There are some nice complexes off of Spencer Highway near San Jacinto College that you can look into, but those may be higher, as well. There is a fairly new complex - Fairmont Oaks, I believe? - on Fairmont Parkway and Underwood that looks really nice that you might check into, as I hear it's reasonable.

Otherwise, you may want to look into renting a house, as others have suggested. There are quite a few homes for rent in Deer Park - best way to find them is to either look in our local paper (Deer Park Broadcaster/Progress) or simply jump in the car and drive around. The neighborhoods in Deer Park can vary tremendously in price, so try different areas and see what you like!

Since I live in Deer Park, if there's anything local I can help you with, please let me know.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:07 PM

There are some decent duplex/fourplexes in Idylwood on Lawndale facing the golf course. There are usually just signs in the yards on those. Depends on if you like older places like that or if you want a more suburban environment.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
Pasadena may be in your price range, but there's a reason it's cheaper, because it is in possibly the most industrial part of town.

Urban Dictionary: Stinkadena

My wife and I have gym memberships in the new section out there and I'd say half of our funny/crazy stories about random people's antics come out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston