Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times

Advertisements

I echo Modster's comments. Westbury is a good area to buy into. The higher priced properties will be zoned to better schools. Most of the established neighborhoods in and around the loop are good options for someone looking for stability and convenience.

The remodeled homes are good options too, but can be pricey. We looked into rehabbing a few properties there, but never did. I know there are a few quality rehabbers that like to focus there. Make sure you get a thorough inspection, because not all of the nice looking flips are how they appear. Most are, but I've meet a few guys who purposely cut corners to save money on projects. No bueno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaJT87 View Post
Unfortunately, the area we've been looking at is zoned to Anderson but the house we're really interested in is super close to Bellfort (south side) on Warm Springs Rd (in between Hillcroft & Chimney Rock). If our monetary situation allowed us, we would be looking at some of the neighborhoods "GIS_Gordon" mentioned earlier... But since I'm attending optometry school here, my husband is the only one bringing home the bread. We're just trying to find a house in Houston for the next 5 years (so we don't have to rent) that's not going to break the bank - we just don't want to live above our means if we can keep from it.
Actually, Warm Springs is a good street. The section from about Landsdown west to the curve is the old 1959 Parade of Homes show street. The most architecturally interesting houses in Westbury are in that collection. The first one in the stretch of former Parade houses is on the north side is the one that has the two single car garages on the front, from there west.

If you are looking at the one Bogany has listed, that is one of the old Parade of Homes show houses. If you pay close attention, you will notice how there are more mid-century moderns and generally more interesting looking houses of the period in that stretch, then you turn that corner and the style of the houses just isn't the same.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I've looked around there a few times, wife has some friends there. It reminds me of parts of Meyerland or the oldest parts of Clear Lake City (homes from 1960).

What's with the chicken wire fences in some of the front yards, though? Would that be a good rule of thumb for the OP to keep in mind, no chicken wire = good section?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 35,710 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the area we've been looking at is zoned to Anderson but the house we're really interested in is super close to Bellfort (south side) on Warm Springs Rd (in between Hillcroft & Chimney Rock). If our monetary situation allowed us, we would be looking at some of the neighborhoods "GIS_Gordon" mentioned earlier... But since I'm attending optometry school here, my husband is the only one bringing home the bread. We're just trying to find a house in Houston for the next 5 years (so we don't have to rent) that's not going to break the bank - we just don't want to live above our means if we can keep from it.
warm springs is a nice street you should be fine there

Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 28,415 times
The house we're interested is the house listed by Bogany properties Our "intention" is to buy a property to rehab... but we still want the house to be livable right now - especially since we don't have the cash to do any immediate major renovations.

And how is Westbury High School?? I've read reviews that it was "ghetto", but I also saw where it was the most improved shool in HISD last year... is that because it was just THAT bad?? My husband and I don't have children (and don't plan to until I'm out of school), so the school situation doesn't affect us... but it might be a turnoff to potential future buyers...

And thanks "modster" for the info - I would've never known the history of that street!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
The house we're interested is the house listed by Bogany properties Our "intention" is to buy a property to rehab... but we still want the house to be livable right now - especially since we don't have the cash to do any immediate major renovations.

And how is Westbury High School?? I've read reviews that it was "ghetto", but I also saw where it was the most improved shool in HISD last year... is that because it was just THAT bad?? My husband and I don't have children (and don't plan to until I'm out of school), so the school situation doesn't affect us... but it might be a turnoff to potential future buyers...

And thanks "modster" for the info - I would've never known the history of that street!
The direction HISD is going now (I don't mean good or bad but rather they way things are being run) I wouldn't be as concerned about where your child is zoned to for high school as I would be trying to get them on the magnet track as soon as possible.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 28,415 times
Just had a conversation with a realtor, and I was informed that Westbury is NOT where my husband and I should be looking. She said it wasn't "dangerous" persay, but that areas in close proximity to the neighborhood could be.

Is there any grounds for us to not look at homes in Westbury?? We've driven that area several times now, and it didn't appear scary until you got over into the some of the Fondren area...

And someone mentioned earlier that Westbury has improved over the past few years - do y'all expect it to continue improving?? Like for maybe home prices to increase? OR... does it seem that the area will just remain stagnant at where it is currently or even decrease in value?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I truly appreciate everyone's input!!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Westbury is just fine most of the areas around that are around are pretty good it is just when you west you get to the apts along West Bellfort & Bobwhite Sandpiper & futher west this area is Fondren South West

Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Just had a conversation with a realtor, and I was informed that Westbury is NOT where my husband and I should be looking. She said it wasn't "dangerous" persay, but that areas in close proximity to the neighborhood could be.

Is there any grounds for us to not look at homes in Westbury?? We've driven that area several times now, and it didn't appear scary until you got over into the some of the Fondren area...

And someone mentioned earlier that Westbury has improved over the past few years - do y'all expect it to continue improving?? Like for maybe home prices to increase? OR... does it seem that the area will just remain stagnant at where it is currently or even decrease in value?

I heard those kinds of comments when I was looking too. All I can say is that I'm glad I disregarded them. I love the neighborhood and have seen nothing to justify that kind of negative response.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Quote:

Westbury has crime, just like any other close in area. But I wouldn't consider it unsafe or crime-riddled or whatever. No. Westbury is fine and if you want close in around that price point, it is one of the least transitional type areas you will find. I know people that have lived on that stretch of Warm Springs, it is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston