Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 28,288 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at houses in the Westbury area - all east of Hillcroft and north of Airport and most just south of Bellfort. Can anyone help us in deciding if this is a decent area?? From past posts it seems to be - I just didn't know if things had changed at all. We've only been in Houston a year (currently renting in West U) so we're just looking for reliable info. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM

124 posts, read 319,074 times
Westbury certainly is a nice area. Like many neighborhoods in the area it does border some less than savory apartment complexes and maybe sees some property crime issues as a result. If you like Westbury also have a look at Willowbend, Post Oak Manor, and Westwood. All are nearby and have the same great commute times as Westbury. Westbury also borders a new large park called the Willow Waterhole Greenspace, which is pretty cool.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM

19 posts, read 35,524 times
its decent in some parts but closer to westbury high school its pretty sh.tty on gasmer especially over by airport and hilcroft .. if you knew the things i knew bout this neighborhood you wouldnt want to live there, atleast not on the south/southwest part of westbury

Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,020,513 times
I live in that area, not far from where you're describing. I think that part of Westbury is fine. Some people Bellfort as the "line" you don't want to cross (i.e., stay north of it) but from what I've seen, the section you're describing is fine.

One consideration might be schools... if you can get zoned to Parker (would yours be zoned to Anderson?) you'd have a better school, and better home value in the long run as a result.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Unfortunately, the area we've been looking at is zoned to Anderson but the house we're really interested in is super close to Bellfort (south side) on Warm Springs Rd (in between Hillcroft & Chimney Rock). If our monetary situation allowed us, we would be looking at some of the neighborhoods "GIS_Gordon" mentioned earlier... But since I'm attending optometry school here, my husband is the only one bringing home the bread. We're just trying to find a house in Houston for the next 5 years (so we don't have to rent) that's not going to break the bank - we just don't want to live above our means if we can keep from it.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM

My husband and I are both in our mid-20s - we're just looking for somewhere clean, quiet & decently safe at kind of the midpoint between my school and his job (in Katy). This has just seemed like the best financial situation with easy access to the loop thus far... but we are totally open for suggestions. Thanks again for all the input!!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM

766 posts, read 1,246,417 times
Westbury is clean, quiet, and safe. Getting to katy will be a pain though just so you know.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 PM

7,536 posts, read 11,517,179 times
Westbury is not that far from the beltway you could take the beltway to I10 out to Katy

Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM

124 posts, read 319,074 times
Easiest way to Katy is via the Westpark tollway.

There are plenty of couples in their 20's and early 30's (myself and my wife included) in this area...you wouldn't be the only ones.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,800,126 times
Westbury is a good safe choice. It is something like a 5,000 home subdivision though, so different sections "perform" differently from a real estate perspective.

The sections zoned to Kolter and Parker elementary typically cost more than sections zoned to Anderson. If you run HAR you will notice that typically the houses at the top end of the price spectrum are in Westbury 1 & 2, (sort of east of Chimney Rock), and section 4, more southwest closer to Hillcroft and Airport, will be towards the bottom with Westbury South at the very bottom. That rule won't hold 100% true, but generally speaking you will see a trend. If you are east of Hillcroft, south of Bellfort, I think the sections north of Ludington, I think it is Cartegena north, tend to be nicer IMO. Be sure and check the flood plain map in there. Some sections are in the flood plain.

Westbury has been improving at a fairly rapid clip over the years. There are some sections that lag, but for the most part it is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston