Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM

9 posts, read 48,127 times

Advertisements

Moving to Houston and will be working out of home. Was given the above providers. I am needing a fast and reliable internet provider as I will be using a VPN. I want to get the most for my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,221,327 times
Comcast has faster speeds than Uverse....however, it's all relative.

You basically "share" you cable outside your home. The more people log on, the slower the speed becomes.

Uverse is a dedicated line and the speed is consistent.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,112,710 times
Never had a speed issue with Comcast but then I'm not a heavy user of bandwidth. If you sign up to Comcast make sure to sign up as a business user as they offer those customers an enhanced service. I do like the Xfinity on demand TV and movie features.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,893,316 times
I have no experience with U-Verse but my Comcast experience is terrible. Perhaps because I have a couple of neighbors who work from home, one being a graphic designer, but there are times when the internet speed is so slow as to be useless. Forget about streaming Netflix. We have the bundled service and the home line is also basically unusable. Very frustrating but admittedly I'm too lazy to have switched yet.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 AM

1,993 posts, read 3,492,757 times
Keep in mind U-Verse is supposed to eventually enforce a 250GB per month bandwidth cap, if that makes any difference. Not sure if Comcast has a cap.

I have U-Verse and work from home full time. VPN works perfect with no issues. Their internet has been rock solid reliable for me over 2 years. I only recall one time when it when out, and it was because some construction workers next door cut the line to my house. AT&T had my line replaced the next day. Very quick customer service.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM

700 posts, read 1,227,826 times
Speed - Comcast
Durability - Uverse

Old 03-24-2012, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 48,127 times
Thank you for your answers.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM

613 posts, read 999,107 times
Comcast customer service is horrible. They make it such that it is nearly impossible to actually talk to a human being. When you have an issue and can actually get a human being, their tech people have a script of trouble shooting they must follow. Even if you know what you are doing and can pinpoint the issue, they run through the script.

"Did you press the on button" - Yes I bloody well did. I rebooted it too.
"OK, let's try rebooting" - I just told you I rebooted it, you bloody moron
"OK, I am going to have you shut it down and then restart it" - That's it, where do you live, I am coming for you.

You get the general idea. No idea what UVerse customer service is like.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM

413 posts, read 1,176,592 times
Speed: Comcast
Uverse: 100 dollar cashback

Both suck at customer service.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM

413 posts, read 1,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Comcast customer service is horrible. They make it such that it is nearly impossible to actually talk to a human being. When you have an issue and can actually get a human being, their tech people have a script of trouble shooting they must follow. Even if you know what you are doing and can pinpoint the issue, they run through the script.

"Did you press the on button" - Yes I bloody well did. I rebooted it too.
"OK, let's try rebooting" - I just told you I rebooted it, you bloody moron
"OK, I am going to have you shut it down and then restart it" - That's it, where do you live, I am coming for you.

You get the general idea. No idea what UVerse customer service is like.
LOL. I called comcast customer service today and it took 4.5 minutes to reach a real person. Press 1 for this, 3 for this, 2 to go back....finally after almost 5 mins, a real person picked up. ufffffff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston