Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 9,431 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

For those who've bought or built a new house in Telfair or Riverstone, I have a question for you just so I have something to compare to while on my search for building in either of those communities.

Question: How much is your household pre-tax annual income (incl. bonuses, other income, etc.) and what was the final price for your house?

There are some beautiful houses in both those master-planned communities, but I have no clue what type of income the families have to purchase those homes. And also, I'm not referring to the homes that are $1MM+.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 PM

Oh, and I know that your house price should depend on your personal financial situation and account for how much debt you have, how much you want to save for retirement, education, vacations, etc. However, I'm just asking to get some basic demographics so just want to know the top-level information such as household income and house price.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times
It does not matter what 'their' income is...what matters is your income.. You dont know 'their' liabilities and financial situation..but you know everything about yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6drvr View Post
Hey guys,

For those who've bought or built a new house in Telfair or Riverstone, I have a question for you just so I have something to compare to while on my search for building in either of those communities.

Question: How much is your household pre-tax annual income (incl. bonuses, other income, etc.) and what was the final price for your house?

There are some beautiful houses in both those master-planned communities, but I have no clue what type of income the families have to purchase those homes. And also, I'm not referring to the homes that are $1MM+.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
The debt to income ratios the bank use for qualifying loan mortgage applicants is, in my opinion, too high (47.5% of gross, I think). I'd try to keep your payments at or below 25% of your net pay and bear in mind your taxes and insurance are on top of that. In a perfect world, put down 20% and get a 15 year fixed mortgage, right now the rates are below 3%.

I think the most people stretch to a total mortgage of 2 x gross income, sans bonus, but less is sometimes more on the sanity scale.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM

300 posts, read 757,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
The debt to income ratios the bank use for qualifying loan mortgage applicants is, in my opinion, too high (47.5% of gross, I think). I'd try to keep your payments at or below 25% of your net pay and bear in mind your taxes and insurance are on top of that. In a perfect world, put down 20% and get a 15 year fixed mortgage, right now the rates are below 3%.

I think the most people stretch to a total mortgage of 2 x gross income, sans bonus, but less is sometimes more on the sanity scale.
2X Gross at a stretch? That is very conservative, and not what most people follow, expecially with rates this low. A good figure is 1/3 of net income for PITI, which is very managable, and for most should be a guide. In this market, one should be able to afford a 300 K mortgage, figuring 4% at 1432 per month, insurance at 110 a month (a guess), taxes 750 a month for about 2200-2300 a month total, plus HOA (maybe) and PMI (maybe). Assuming one nets 6.5-7 K a month, that is pretty affordable and still conservative for saving and a car payment, as long one isn't saddled with debts.

I admit a 15 year and 2X gross is smart(I suspect you are frugal), but that is out of the reach of most families.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Currently, I'm looking at houses that would be about 23% of our take home but it would include PITI, PMI and HOA. I guess that is a sound purchase...however, it would be 27% of our take home if I do not include my over-time pay, bonus and investment income. Still good?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM

But anyone going to answer my initial question???

Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM

418 posts, read 741,882 times
Quote:
But anyone going to answer my initial question???
I would never ask someone how much they made! Maybe others are more comfortable with that, but I think that's a private matter, and I would not expect that you will receive a lot of answers to that particular question.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM

300 posts, read 757,778 times
Quote:
Currently, I'm looking at houses that would be about 23% of our take home but it would include PITI, PMI and HOA. I guess that is a sound purchase...however, it would be 27% of our take home if I do not include my over-time pay, bonus and investment income. Still good?
Yes, that is very good, and you can easily afford it--assuming it is what you want. As to what people make, I imagine a good houseold income in Houston is 110 K or so, which would afford that hypothetical mortgage I pondered.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM

164 posts, read 364,292 times
For double income professional family, 200k is the minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston