Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

The simple answer is yes...but be prepared to double your commute time, depending on where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
To me the light rail doesn't cover enough area. And the bus isn't exactly cheap.
Well, you're right, but the rail we have is just the start of the new system. I don't understand why people thought/think that the one line was the be-all-end-all of LRT in Houston and that it was a failure just because it didn't come through where they live. (And then there are those who don't want it where they live at all). But constructing the whole system would have been impractical - aside from the cost, it would be disruptive to traffic in a more widespread area.

Before there was one giant leap there was one small step...

As for the cost of the bus, if you are only traveling *local* (e.g. the Inner Loop or the outlying edges) the monthly bus pass is $35. Compare to one fill-up for the average personal vehicle, then insurance and upkeep...relying on public transit is always cheaper in the end than owning and operating a car. Houstonians pay more to get around than anyone else.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
How can we get information on the long term plan for public transportation? Are there public meetings going on anywhere?

My suggestion would be to put a rail line in the median on 288 and perhaps another rail line down the median of whatever east-west route is heavily commuter.

Dorothy

Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How can we get information on the long term plan for public transportation? Are there public meetings going on anywhere?

My suggestion would be to put a rail line in the median on 288 and perhaps another rail line down the median of whatever east-west route is heavily commuter.

Dorothy
METRO Solutions

Of course much of what you see other than the University Line are strictly proposals at this point...there are some powerful anti-transit forces at work in this city...

Old 09-16-2007, 08:06 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,008 times
I'm the guy who likes to get a taste of all kinds of transportation not only in Houston but in many cities around the world. As I said before, one of the best alternative or mass transportation will be in Manhattan so I don't know where you are coming from.

If you've been comfortable with the bus system in another city, then Metro will be pretty generous to you 7 days a week. I can afford not to ride on Metro bus and rail but I do it just because I'm open to buck the status quo around Houston's narrow thinking, "I MUST have a car." If you see the Metro map, it will take you practically anywhere in and around the Loop. It's fairly safe, clean, and practical. The Metro Transit stations are a big deal around here because they are bright-lighted transfer stations with at least a Metro patrol prowling around frequently looking to tackle any lurking problems.

A new thing, by December 31, 2007, all city buses will have bike racks and you should be able to travel further with your bus and bicycle.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
I've been to Houston many times but one time for 1 day I decided to leave the rent a car and took the bus and light rail. I stayed at the Hyatt downtown. The bus stop was on Louisiana. (not sure of the bus #) I caught the bus to the Heights, the Galleria, Midtown, Reliant Stadium and Texas Southern U. It was clean, fast and efficient. Maybe Houstonians should take the time to know their public transportation system. At least those who live close in. Its no worse than other big city systems. In fact I found the buses ran more often, are cleaner and cheaper than most others I've used around the country.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 PM

48 posts, read 178,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaygift View Post
I would like to move to Houston,single lady.

I don't drive. Is it possible to get around Houston for shopping or go to work by public transportation?

I would like to rent 700sqt apartment in a safe area with public transportation easy access. Is it possible? How much would it run? What area would it be?

Thanks
Houston is non friendly inter city for familes.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:18 PM

107 posts, read 569,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutloose View Post
Houston is non friendly inter city for familes.
She said she's single. Not to mention that there are plenty of inner loop neighborhoods that are family friendly.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
She said she's single. Not to mention that there are plenty of inner loop neighborhoods that are family friendly.
Well if she is a mom, im sure she considers her self to have a family.
Im not sure why she dont have transportation, if its do to funds, where could she afford to live inside 610, that would be family friendly? Just courious, i cant think of any off hand,

Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Well, you're right, but the rail we have is just the start of the new system. I don't understand why people thought/think that the one line was the be-all-end-all of LRT in Houston and that it was a failure just because it didn't come through where they live. (And then there are those who don't want it where they live at all). But constructing the whole system would have been impractical - aside from the cost, it would be disruptive to traffic in a more widespread area.

Before there was one giant leap there was one small step...

As for the cost of the bus, if you are only traveling *local* (e.g. the Inner Loop or the outlying edges) the monthly bus pass is $35. Compare to one fill-up for the average personal vehicle, then insurance and upkeep...relying on public transit is always cheaper in the end than owning and operating a car. Houstonians pay more to get around than anyone else.
I believe hou long term plan is those hov lanes with the barriers, will become a train system, this in what i beieve. There are very few cities with barriers used in the hov lanes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: