Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 85,405 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Houston,single lady.

I don't drive. Is it possible to get around Houston for shopping or go to work by public transportation?

I would like to rent 700sqt apartment in a safe area with public transportation easy access. Is it possible? How much would it run? What area would it be?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Houston's public transportation is not very friendly .... hard to live in Houston w/o transportation.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 PM

64 posts, read 413,465 times
I see a lot of buses during my travels inside of beltway 8, and even more inside the loop. I live well outside of the beltway, and have never seen a bus out here. The Houston metro area is really spead out, and would be hard to get around without a car.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Get a car.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
OK....if you live along the Red Line you can pull it off, but it's not easy and you're not going to get to see much of the rest of the city. However it can be done.

Public transit in Houston can be described (gently) as a work in progress. They will start construction on the new light rail line eventually...a few people are holding things up...

Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Houston's public transportation is not very friendly ....
I never had a problem with the light rail when I lived right by it, but on the Metro buses there are some animated characters riding it. Stay safe!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Yes we have light rail and it is easy to use and convenient particulary as TStone says if you live and work along that line. I use it quite frequently but I also enjoy walking so unless the weather is inclement, I do try and walk to my destinations along that path. But other than working, living, recreation along that line it is nothing more than an amusement ride between downtown and Reliant Stadium up and down one street. The city really needed Fannin to be down to one lane each way in the heart of the med center. Planning please..... More light rail ......... I hope not, unless they wise up and elevate it. While most of the accidents are the driver's fault, working downtown I do see the silent creature run traffic lights more often than I'd like to. When the streets flood, the rail line sometimes floods ..... like we need this all over the city. Hopefully residents will continue to resist until this thing goes to places people actually need to go and gets elevated. We'd hate to see them spend the extra dollars on elevating the rail instead of building another stadium with our tax dollars --- geez -- priorities please. And I rarely see anyone paying the $1 or $2 to ride the rail .... well let me rephrase that, I see working people pay. The large groups of unemployed and homeless are never at the pay booth, they are just running across the street to jump on before it leaves the platform....... is that the sound of tax dollars going down the drain?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:40 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Learn 2 drive and get a car if you're planning to move here. You'll be miserable without a car.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
And I rarely see anyone paying the $1 or $2 to ride the rail .... well let me rephrase that, I see working people pay. The large groups of unemployed and homeless are never at the pay booth, they are just running across the street to jump on before it leaves the platform....... is that the sound of tax dollars going down the drain?
You do sometimes wonder......however.....

Anyone who is transferring from a bus, who bought the $2 daily pass, or who has a monthly pass - will do just that - hop on without appearing to pay.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:53 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,183 times
That's probably possible. You'd probably have to live within the inner loop. To me the light rail doesn't cover enough area. And the bus isn't exactly cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: