Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 8,697 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and my company will be sending me to Houston ISD for the coming school year. I was initially thinking of finding an apartment in Katy or the Sugarland area but was worried about the daily commute since i will not know which school(s) i will be reporting to until July. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods near or within HISD? Maybe an apartment complex that's within the $700-$900 range for a two or three bedroom?I would prefer to be very near a good school for my kids ages 6,5, and 4 so i don't need to purchase a 2nd vehicle. I've done a lot of research but Houston is just so big and could not determine where to go. We will be scheduling a visit there in the summer to check out the neighborhoods so please feel free to point me in the right direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Maybe something off FountainView or Voss.77057. It's within HISD and zoned to Briargrove Elem.(Excellent neighborhood school within an affluent neighborhood) It can be a somewhat walkable area when the weather is nice. But I don't think you could get three bedrooms zoned to better schools within the city. Might be able to get two bedrooms for close to the 1000 range.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndujuncoSLP View Post
Hello everyone! I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and my company will be sending me to Houston ISD for the coming school year. I was initially thinking of finding an apartment in Katy or the Sugarland area but was worried about the daily commute since i will not know which school(s) i will be reporting to until July. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods near or within HISD? Maybe an apartment complex that's within the $700-$900 range for a two or three bedroom?I would prefer to be very near a good school for my kids ages 6,5, and 4 so i don't need to purchase a 2nd vehicle. I've done a lot of research but Houston is just so big and could not determine where to go. We will be scheduling a visit there in the summer to check out the neighborhoods so please feel free to point me in the right direction
$700-$900 is going to push you out into the suburbs or into some borderline shady areas in the city. And I'm talking about for a one bedroom in that price range.

You might want to think of renting a house in the suburbs based on your situation.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM

169 posts, read 450,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
$700-$900 is going to push you out into the suburbs
Then the suburbs will push you right back , $900 won't get you more than a 1 bedroom if you want really good schools in a good neighborhood. There are apartments that have great views of chemical plants for that price tag.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw7337 View Post
Then the suburbs will push you right back , $900 won't get you more than a 1 bedroom if you want really good schools in a good neighborhood. There are apartments that have great views of chemical plants for that price tag.
She can probably find a modest 2 or 3 bedroom house in the suburbs. maybe Tomball or somewhere like that.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
$700-$900 is going to push you out into the suburbs or into some borderline shady areas in the city. And I'm talking about for a one bedroom in that price range.

You might want to think of renting a house in the suburbs based on your situation.
You really think that?

You need to get out more.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM

169 posts, read 450,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You really think that?

Well you have consider that a good school & neighborhood are included in the criteria. & it's all relative to the area you know best for example I know Baytown better than anywhere else. so when you take these examples (bellow) in my area and add the fact that the location needs to be more central, the consensus would be that the price is higher.

example:
Hunt Road Apartments
Baytown
Memorial High School/Walker Elementary (new high preforming schools)
in the heart of Baytown's shopping area
quiet street (for another year at least)
1 bed room $800.

Camden Baytown
Baytown
okay schools
near shopping
on a busy avenue near hospitals
view of chemical plant (2 miles away)
2 bed $900

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You really think that?

Are you talking to me?

Where are you going to find a 3 bedroom apartment in the inner loop that is safe, not really old, and serves a good school?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 8,697 times
Ok thanks for all the info guys! Quick question though... what range should i budget for housing? Currently i am in a luxury apartment in Las Cruces, NM and i only pay $770. Pretty good deal and we were lucky to find this place... If anyone has any suggestions please do post it

Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
If You're an SLP in HISD, you should be making enough to afford more than that. What kind of contract did they offer you? I work with those services in metro Houston and most of my slp friends are pulling down some mega bucks. But they don't have three kids to provide for. I'd be wary of anything near HISD that rents a three bedroom for 900.

It's also a large district so you should see in what area you'll be working. There are some apartments in the timbergrove area where you might get a decent two bedroom for 800 or so. It's a safe area with great parks and decent schools. It's the western half of the 77008 zip code. There are also decent townhouses around there and just north in oak forest (77018) where you might find something closer to 1000 for a three bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston