Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

I used to Drive for Swift and would be in Phoenix all the time.. And let me tell you it can be as humid there as Houston any day. 120 degrees and humid at night time.. yeah not fun.

Houston is way to congested for me.. there was this one spot on Interstate 6 that is the farthest western road around the city.. and I saw a place that was all red brick.. it looked like a prison, and to me it was very ugly, it went on for miles. Personally I would not live in either city.. Now Galveston I would consider... its crime seems to be equal with El Paso's and people keep saying El Paso is one of the safest cities in the state.

Is there a place thats green and not so humid in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I used to Drive for Swift and would be in Phoenix all the time.. And let me tell you it can be as humid there as Houston any day. 120 degrees and humid at night time.. yeah not fun.

Houston is way to congested for me.. there was this one spot on Interstate 6 that is the farthest western road around the city.. and I saw a place that was all red brick.. it looked like a prison, and to me it was very ugly, it went on for miles. Personally I would not live in either city.. Now Galveston I would consider... its crime seems to be equal with El Paso's and people keep saying El Paso is one of the safest cities in the state.

I would not recommend Galveston, if you want to live in a nice neighborhood you will pay through the nose, otherwise you better watch your back. Then there are the public schools, not exactly the best in the area.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:19 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Having lived in Phoenix and Houston, I can say that Houston is 10 times better than Phoenix. Houston has a much more diverse population, more things to do, and although it can get humid, I will take humidity over any 115 F "dry heat" temperature. Also, Phoenix is truly a cesspool, it attracts some of the shadiest, lowest, trashiest people in this nation. Houston attracts a diversity of people from all over the world and Houston has a much better job market as well. Houston is not a perfect place by any means, but way better than Phoenix IMO

lukeache ... you are correct as you do see many , many derelicts in areas of Phoenix ..... you nailed it Houston is not perfect , but it is head and shoulders above Phoenix .

Old 09-15-2007, 02:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

Highway 6 way out west isn't really indicative of Houston. That may or may not even be in the city limits. There actually is a minimum security prison unit off 6 outside of Sugar Land.

The traffic volume and crowds are not for everyone - big-city life is not for everyone - but you might visit the Museum District and Hermann Park. Houston has green if you want to get off the freeways and find it.

You will pay more to live in a good place in Galveston than you would to live in a good place in El Paso...don't know a whole lot about EP other than that it's not very expensive to live there. It is expensive to live in Galveston and not be in the *hood*

Old 09-15-2007, 03:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Highway 6 way out west isn't really indicative of Houston.
City of Houston -- ZIP Codes Reference -- 77082

City of Houston -- ZIP Codes Reference -- 77083

There are some unincorporated areas out there that use Houston, Sugar Land or Richmond zip codes. The maps in those pages show the incorporated parts of the city and Highway 6 runs right through it.

I grew up in there. About 20 yrs ago, this area used to be a good suburban shopping place. It went through some rough times with Target, Wal-Mart, and Randallas stores shutting down. Dollar stores then came up. A nice little steak house with the Pac-Man table called Cattle Company shut down too.

This is area is very indicative of the SW side in general.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So all of Houston is like the SW side, right?

Old 09-15-2007, 03:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So all of Houston is like the SW side, right?
Last time I checked, the SW side was still part of Houston.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:26 PM

42 posts, read 181,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian/Traveler View Post
I think dwilke is originally from Wyoming, thus the snow comment, right?
Correct, Historian/Traveler.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Last time I checked, the SW side was still part of Houston.
So your answer to my question is yes then?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:52 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
people are rude
I have no idea where you are living, but the people in Houston have not been rude to me. The people here have been friendly. I have been helped with directions and our neighbors have just been fantastic.

Yep, the heat and humidity are awful (Phoenix heat is worse and I don't really see that the dryness is such a big help). The traffic is horrible, but that's why you look for housing that is closer to your job. We would have loved to live in Sugarland as my dil has relatives there, but the commute for my ds would have been horrible. Now that he has found good routes to work, his commute is under 1/2 hour.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston