U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM

31 posts, read 37,793 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a job by Highway 290 and Barker Cypress. The Cypress area is nice but is pretty far from most of my family and friends that live in the West/southwest area of Houston. I was looking at apartments close to the beltway and interstate 10 and also the Eldridge and Interstate 10 area but wanted some input on the commute. The route I would be taking would either be Eldridge or the beltway all the way to 290 and the hours would probably be during rush hour. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,272,128 times
Do you want to be inner west or outer? If you want an urban area, I'd look at the TC Jester between 610 and 11th, lots of decent apartments that aren't overpriced, great hike and bike trails, close to the washington corridor for nightlife and a not too bad anti commute in the morning going out 290.

Outer West, I'd suggest Eldridge for an apartment if you have money (it's the energy corridor between 10 and westheimer, nice places but some charge practically inner loop prices because they can get it).

Also, along I-ten near Hwy. 6 there are ok apartments that wouldn't be too far from work going up 6, but lots of traffic lights. There's also not too much out there for the younger crowd. That's why I always loved TC Jester area.

The beltway gets pretty bad traffic both ways in the morning. I tried it once to see if I could live in NW Houston and work in SW and it just wasn't worth it. It was like paying for parking, in my experience.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM

90 posts, read 171,809 times
I would look at city center area!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Do you want to be inner west or outer? If you want an urban area, I'd look at the TC Jester between 610 and 11th, lots of decent apartments that aren't overpriced, great hike and bike trails, close to the washington corridor for nightlife and a not too bad anti commute in the morning going out 290.

Outer West, I'd suggest Eldridge for an apartment if you have money (it's the energy corridor between 10 and westheimer, nice places but some charge practically inner loop prices because they can get it).

Also, along I-ten near Hwy. 6 there are ok apartments that wouldn't be too far from work going up 6, but lots of traffic lights. There's also not too much out there for the younger crowd. That's why I always loved TC Jester area.

The beltway gets pretty bad traffic both ways in the morning. I tried it once to see if I could live in NW Houston and work in SW and it just wasn't worth it. It was like paying for parking, in my experience.
Thanks for the helpful information! I really like the area between Eldridge and the beltway just on the south side of interstate 10. How bad would you say the traffic is going north on the beltway to 290 from interstate 10? Also, do you have any idea how bad the traffic is on Eldridge if I am taking it from interstate 10 to 290? I'm assuming they're both against traffic but they still might be pretty bad. How would you say the traffic is taking 290 north in the morning and taking it south for afternoon/night? I've seen it become a standstill during rush hour times but it is usually when I am traveling with traffic.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemberly283 View Post
I would look at city center area!
That's one of the areas I was looking at! Just worried about the traffic on the beltway.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM

63 posts, read 109,645 times
Beltway traffic usually flows well- its 290 that'll get ya but you'll have a reverse-ish commute which will ease the pain.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,123,563 times
The apartments in the Energy Corridor can be kind of expensive. You might want to check out the Westchase area. The commute to Cypress will take you about 30 minutes.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,272,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The apartments in the Energy Corridor can be kind of expensive. You might want to check out the Westchase area. The commute to Cypress will take you about 30 minutes.
Yeah, Westchase is cheaper. The Energy corridor has inflated rents because of all the young engineers in the area and british transplants plus great park/trail system and less crime. but it would add a little to the commute, going closer to hwy 6 (example, marquis briar forest on briar forest at six is way cheaper than a mile east on briar forest and eldridge).

I'd say the commute up to 290 from the area would be 20 minutes or so from hwy 6 and briar forest, but all the stop lights would bug me.

Another option, some decent apartments right north of briar forest and dairy-ashford along the trail system. Dairy-Ashford goes straight up, passes ten and curves to hit eldridge. I liked the places right there.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Okay so I'm looking at a 20 minute commute to Barker Cypress and 290 from the Westchase area, but what if I take Eldridge all the way from Interstate 10 to Barker Cypress and 290? I'm just trying to see if I can avoid the tolls.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM

657 posts, read 2,440,483 times
Even Eldridge at 10 is a long drive to Barker Cypress at 290. 290 from 10 is like a V, so you're going further north the further out you get. At rush hour you're going to see heavy traffic on 10 and 290. I would look at Eldridge and Dairy Ashford right there near 10 or maybe further west in Katy like north Fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston