Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,885,463 times

Advertisements

News on this reminded me of Atlanta's Freaknik back in the 90's. The depravity and lawlessness was epic. As much as the City wanted to demonstrate tolerance in the "New South", they eventually refused to issue permits, barricaded roads, and literally positioned clusters of State Troopers up-and-down the highways demonstrating "zero-tolerance" during the traditional Spring Break. Atlanta had a tradition of letting things get out-of-hand before totally squashing (Light up Atlanta, the Great River Raft Race, etc). Let's hope the local Texas communities learn more quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
I think Kappa in Galveston was mostly college students until others started horning in but the deal at Surfside appears to be more losers than actual students who attended.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,505,449 times
There is a video on news of a fight on the beach it likes like mostly 14 to 18 yrs were there I would say it about 70% high school aged

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM

613 posts, read 997,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
It was a free for all. Parking in peoples yards, pissing, puking, fighting, destroying other's people' property, sex just the scum of the earth over there. Why do think Galveston doesnt want that trash party over there anymore! The families had to pack up and leave because the animals showed up...Maybe I shouldnt insult the animals..sub humans...I have never seen anything like. It was scary...and we had our guns...Makes me so mad just thinking about it....know wonder people are prejudiced....cant say enough about the scummy people (teenagers all kinds) who were just wild....crazy...
Hmm. You just described every huge fraternity rave I have ever attended regardless of the race of those involved.

Any time you have young men, alcohol and women around then things will be a bit out of control. The bigger the party, the more out of control it gets. I wonder if you'd be as critical if it was white kids doing the exact same thing?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think Kappa in Galveston was mostly college students until others started horning in but the deal at Surfside appears to be more losers than actual students who attended.
Most of these events start out good. Then they become regionally and perhaps nationally popular and all hell breaks loose. The Kappa was at its highest around the late 90s into 2000. But from what I heard, the beach party fell off so bad that people just spent their April weekends in Austin at the relays. That is also now starting to have trouble. Ask Miamians about the memorial day fest. Similar type of party as the beach party in Galveston. Miami residents usually leave the area around that holiday because of the event.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM

568 posts, read 957,908 times
The most amazing thing was the mayor of Surfside on Teevee this morning saying he "they" didnt think it was going to be that big of a deal - this shows how naive he is...does he not know about Twitter - Facebook? The brochure that as circulating around should have as big a flag as the hurricane warning...he should be impeached/recalled for his ignorance and I gues thinking "that wont happen here". And yes - any group - black/white/purple that acts in an UNCIVILIZED way will get my criticism MIBS98.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Hmm. You just described every huge fraternity rave I have ever attended regardless of the race of those involved.

Any time you have young men, alcohol and women around then things will be a bit out of control. The bigger the party, the more out of control it gets. I wonder if you'd be as critical if it was white kids doing the exact same thing?

it must suck to be wrong all the time

Surfside wants beach party promoter to pay - Houston Chronicle

4th of July, isnt that when white kids go to the beach ?
Quote:

The unusual amount of trash made for an even worse aftermath, Gutierrez suggested. Village crews on Monday carted away 400 plastic bags of debris, far more than the 150 plastic bags usually gathered after a Fourth of July weekend, one of the most crowded beach weekends of the year, Gutierrez said. He said he had to triple the number of cleanup crews.

Quote:
The violence combined with revelers urinating behind houses, parking on private lawns, blocking driveways and clogging streets to make the Texas Beach Party, as it was called on Twitter, into a thoroughly unenjoyable weekend for Surfside residents.
Quote:
The promoter took extraordinary measures to thwart village efforts to discourage people from attending a beach party organized without the required village permit, Davison said. Because so many people learned about the party through Twitter, "We had somebody do a rebuttal site Friday on Twitter saying it wasn't going to happen."
The promoter got Twitter to shut the account down, Davison said.
"We're going to get the district attorney to see if there was criminality," he said. "In this country you should be held accountable for stupid stuff like that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston