Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 44,410 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody

We are going to move in Sugar Land this year. The first reason of choice is my wife is going to work in the health care discipline. Thanks to any comments I read concerning our house hunting. I have an other concern about...me that I ask forum members to be adviced. I got a degree in geology, does any one know how to get jobs as a geologist? My degree obtained in a foreign country not in the US.

Best

RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Have you tried indeed.com?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jordan View Post
Hi everybody

We are going to move in Sugar Land this year. The first reason of choice is my wife is going to work in the health care discipline. Thanks to any comments I read concerning our house hunting. I have an other concern about...me that I ask forum members to be adviced. I got a degree in geology, does any one know how to get jobs as a geologist? My degree obtained in a foreign country not in the US.

Best

RJ
Indeed is a good place to start. Oil and gas hire a lot of geologist and of course oil and gas jobs are plentiful in Houston. Most oil and gas companies want a geologist with a MS but with the shortage in the business a BS should get you in the door too. Sugar land does have as many oil company jobs as the energy corridor does but if sugar land is where you are moving regardless of job, count on it taking more time to keep your commute short. What is your experience as a geologist?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
My husband is a geologist, and he works in the oil and gas industry (but he has a PhD). A lot of his coworkers have degrees from outside of the US though. I would also try rigzone.com for job listings. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 PM

Hi Johnhw2
There are some of my geologist esperiences: Geological mapping (1/50,000), Aerial picture analyse, mud lodging.
I have BS in geology science.
Thanks for help

Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Hi Johnhw2
There are some of my geologist esperiences: Geological mapping (1/50,000), Aerial picture analyse, mud lodging.
Thanks for help
Thats helpful experience and the non US degree isnt an issue its common in oil and gas in the US these days since we dont produce enough engineers in the US. You might apply to some geological tech jobs to get your foot in the door at an oil, if you hit resistance in applying for geologist positions over the BS only degree. Good luck

Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM

37 posts, read 86,933 times
Quote:
Hi Johnhw2
Thanks for help

Have you looked at chlumberger, Halliburton, or TransOcean lately? One of their main businesses would be providing drilling technology and services to the big domestic and international oil and gas companies.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM

12 posts, read 19,149 times
Default Try these

Hey there,

As a recent new hire to a Houston based company I suggest you check these sites: oilcareers.com, earthworks.com (under petroleum geoscience heading), set up a linkedin profile and indicate you are in the area and employable, worldwideworker.com and glassdoor.com. The latter will give you an indication of the salaries for your experience level and education level and there are plenty of job adverts on there as well.

I don't think US companies are too concerned on where you did your degree so long as its a recognized school and you have the right to work in the USA. More importantly they will want to know about your experience/training.

Even in boom times like now, most supermajors won't hire unless you have a MS but you might find an exception to that if you search hard enough. If you have limited experience I would stongly suggest going back for a MS at an "oil school" like Texas A&M etc. and this would ensure you would be competitive in applying for a position in the future. There are a lot of MS and PHD geo students at schools across the US and Canada that are applying for the same job.

You could also start attending industry networking events, there should be many in Houston (check out AAPG.org or the local houston geological society or similar) and try to meet some porfesionals. If you are a young professional, join the AAPG YPP organization, this is another great way to network. Its a very small world so the more people you meet the better the chances you will land a job with an operator, especially if you have limited experience and a BSC. You mentioned you had mud logging experience, if so I would focus on the service companies as a previous poster mentioned but this will involve plenty of work in the field and crazy hours so be prepared for that.

I wish you luck in the search!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Chevron is having a job fair at Hyatt Downtown I believe May 15/16. Google it and be there

Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks Canuck123, what you ve mentioned is really I am seeking for, an instutution where I can refreshed my knowledge and learn skills in a short time. To be franc, I left the field for a while, now I want to be back.
Are there some schools in the geologist field which belong to the companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: