Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

While I mostly agree; I think you're exaggerating. Houston has one of the best arts scene in the country and the numbers prove it. Having the Musuem of Fine Arts and the Menil Collection is not too shabby. Not to mention MFAH attracts over 1.2 million people a year.
Exaggerating about what? I didn't say that Houston didn't have a good art scene. My response was to the question of "why does Houston not have the best art museum in the US". I like the Houston art museums. Let's face it, though, the MFAH attendance figures are heavily driven by special exhibits (like the current King Tut exhibit) and not by permanent collections. It is very difficult to compete with well established museums like the Art Institute, MOMA, National Art Gallery, etc.

By way of comparison, MFAH has about 55,000 pieces of art in its collection. The Art Institute has over 260,000 pieces. The Art Institute has an impressive list of some of the most recognizable art in the world. MFAH has very few, if any, pieces that the casual museum goer would recognize.

That doesn't make the MFAH bad by any stretch of the imagination. It is a good museum, probably under recognized by locals. It's annual attendance figures do put it in the top 10 of museums nationwide.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
That really has nothing to do with the large population in Houston.......

Houston had little to do with the closing of Astroworld; your beef should be the Sixflags HQ. DFW's public transit is a joke and trust me that hardly any tourist are using that thing.

While I mostly agree; I think you're exaggerating. Houston has one of the best arts scene in the country and the numbers prove it. Having the Musuem of Fine Arts and the Menil Collection is not too shabby. Not to mention MFAH attracts over 1.2 million people a year.
no no no.....Houstons transit system is the joke.....no matter how many thousands of busses they have clogging the streets.And tourist do indeed use DART while here.We have interesting TOD's on at our stations.We didnt drag our line through already established stale neighborhoods with the hopes of the stubborn owners to sell their family businesses for some newbie developer to SOME Day build something interesting that justifies the transit stop.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Exaggerating about what? I didn't say that Houston didn't have a good art scene. My response was to the question of "why does Houston not have the best art museum in the US". I like the Houston art museums. Let's face it, though, the MFAH attendance figures are heavily driven by special exhibits (like the current King Tut exhibit) and not by permanent collections. It is very difficult to compete with well established museums like the Art Institute, MOMA, National Art Gallery, etc.

By way of comparison, MFAH has about 55,000 pieces of art in its collection. The Art Institute has over 260,000 pieces. The Art Institute has an impressive list of some of the most recognizable art in the world. MFAH has very few, if any, pieces that the casual museum goer would recognize.

That doesn't make the MFAH bad by any stretch of the imagination. It is a good museum, probably under recognized by locals. It's annual attendance figures do put it in the top 10 of museums nationwide.

Really???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
17 of the World's Top 100 are in the United States
US Rank/ Museum/ Annual Visitors
1 Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York 5,216,988
2 National Gallery of Art, Washington DC 4,954,914
3 Museum of Modern Art, New York 4,775,114
4 De Young Museum, San Francisco 2,043,854
5 Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago 1,612,780
6 Getty Center, Los Angeles 1,205,685
7 National Portrait Gallery, Washington DC 1,144,494
8 Museum of Fine Arts, Houston 1,125,000
9 Guggenheim Museum, New York 1,105,352
10 Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington DC 1,100,000
11 Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles 914,356
12 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 911,216
13 Freer Gallery of Art/Sackler Gallery, Washington DC 795,627
14 San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco 700,000
15 Hirshhorn Museum, Washington DC 630,774
16 Seattle Art Museum 551,683
17 High Museum of Art, Atlanta 509,000

http://www.theartnewspaper.com/attfig/attfig10.pdf

Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
Quote:
That really has nothing to do with the large population in Houston.......
Actually, it has EVERYTHING to do with why Houston has experienced the amount of growth over the last half century. Do you seriously think people are moving to Houston because its a place that they've always wanted to live? No. People move there mostly because of the great economy,low cost of living,and many opportunities for employment. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Houston had little to do with the closing of Astroworld; your beef should be the Sixflags HQ.
I have no beef. Regardless of who owned Astroworld, I stand by my belief that the city can and should do more to lure similar businesses to Houston. That was my main point.

Quote:
DFW's public transit is a joke and trust me that hardly any tourist are using that thing.
This shortsightedness is common in Houston and its the reason why Houston's public transit is playing "catch up" to its growth now. Most cities plan for growth. What are the stats that show that hardly any tourists use DART? Just curious. Theres a Dart station near the Dallas Convention Center/Hotel and I can't help but believe that that plays an instrumental role when Dallas tries to lure convention business as it provides access to other parts of the city. Thankfully, Houston is now realizing this and the plans for the Convention District and Metro will benefit the city greatly.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
no no no.....Houstons transit system is the joke.....no matter how many thousands of busses they have clogging the streets.And tourist do indeed use DART while here.We have interesting TOD's on at our stations.We didnt drag our line through already established stale neighborhoods with the hopes of the stubborn owners to sell their family businesses for some newbie developer to SOME Day build something interesting that justifies the transit stop.
Never said it wasn't......

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Actually, it has EVERYTHING to do with why Houston has experienced the amount of growth over the last half century. Do you seriously think people are moving to Houston because its a place that they've always wanted to live? No. People move there mostly because of the great economy,low cost of living,and many opportunities for employment. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, that's not the reason it's the 4th largest city. Its land size is.

I have no beef. Regardless of who owned Astroworld, I stand by my belief that the city can and should do more to lure similar businesses to Houston. That was my main point.

This shortsightedness is common in Houston and its the reason why Houston's public transit is playing "catch up" to its growth now. Most cities plan for growth. What are the stats that show that hardly any tourists use DART? Just curious. Theres a Dart station near the Dallas Convention Center/Hotel and I can't help but believe that that plays an instrumental role when Dallas tries to lure convention business as it provides access to other parts of the city. Thankfully, Houston is now realizing this and the plans for the Convention District and Metro will benefit the city greatly.
With just a measly 7 mile line in Houston; our numbers can compete with DART 70+ miles.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM

561 posts, read 972,485 times
Quote:
Really???
Are you serious? Houston is only number 8!

The way some of the people on this forum talk about the MFAH, you would think it was number 2 right under Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York !!!!

Wow I dont think having the number 8 museum in the country while being the 4th largest city in the country is something to be bragging about...

By our population and size as a city we should actually be higher on that list!But as it stands right now.. its really not something to be bragging about.. but I guess it could be worse...

Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
Quote:
However, that's not the reason it's the 4th largest city. Its land size is.

Nope. Jacksonville, FL and OKC are both larger than Houston in terms of land area but relatively few people live there because they don't have the economy or opportunities of Houston. People historically move to places for economic reasons.

Quote:

With just a measly 7 mile line in Houston; our numbers can compete with DART 70+ miles.
I cringe everytime Houston people use the ridership of its 7mile line as evidence that Houston's public transportation isn't inadequate.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlandtech View Post
New York City= Crime, filthy, a$$holes.
Miami= Crime, snobs, A$$holes.
Chicago= Crime, A$$holes, Major a$$holes.
Seattle= Crime, Bad weather.
come on!! hahaha, houston has ALL of those, except for the filthiness (I guess it helps to be only a small fraction of NYC's size).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I love Amusement parks, so even if it's built in Sugarland or the Woodlands, I'm there.
me too!!!! houston could become a destination for nearby states at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Wow I dont think having the number 8 museum in the country while being the 4th largest city in the country is something to be bragging about...
i think with the money that houston and its industries have, it could definitely be higher if an effort was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Trust me, more tourists is a giant pain in the rear. When you live in places like London, Paris, Chicago you very rarely go to the museums or other amenities that the tourists come for because they are packed with.... tourists!
tourists do kind of hamper things, but only to an extent. i could definitely see that in nyc. but in chicago, the locals definitely do use the museums/aquarium/lakefront/etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post

Nope. Jacksonville, FL and OKC are both larger than Houston in terms of land area but relatively few people live there because they don't have the economy or opportunities of Houston. People historically move to places for economic reasons.

I cringe everytime Houston people use the ridership of its 7mile line as evidence that Houston's public transportation isn't inadequate.
You're just talking rail transit, btw. Let's not act like DFW is San Francisco, or like there isn't more rail construction going on in Houston now.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Are you serious? Houston is only number 8!

The way some of the people on this forum talk about the MFAH, you would think it was number 2 right under Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York !!!!

By our population and size as a city we should actually be higher on that list!But as it stands right now.. its really not something to be bragging about.. but I guess it could be worse...
Being 8 really is impressive because those are all world class cities with a lot of artsy and intellectual people. Houston does not have the demographics to have world class museums. While there may be a good "arts scene", I don't think anybody could ever describe Houston as "artsy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston