Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM

18,042 posts, read 25,061,271 times

Advertisements

Most people in Houston love living in a "boring" city.

Let Las Vegas, Miami, San Francisco, Honolulu, San Antonio be "exciting" and deal with all the c.... that comes with it.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Give me a boring city where you can have a good quality of life and have the ability to save money over a city where you need to be rich (or on welfare) to enjoy and is filled with power-hungry d-bags any day of the week, (IE the area where I currently live in).
I don't know. It's getting just as expensive to live well here as it is Chicago (imho).

Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I don't know. It's getting just as expensive to live well here as it is Chicago (imho).
And Chicago is still less expensive than the area I'm currently stuck in.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,950,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
It was on ABC13. I posted it because it was borderline crazy/funny. However, some of the items mentioned do ring true.

This IS a Houston forum after all and it has to do with Houston - good or bad.
The Houston Homies don't want you to say anthing negative about Houston no matter how true it may be.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 PM

18,042 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
The Houston Homies don't want you to say anthing negative about Houston no matter how true it may be.
How many times do we have to say that we like the fact that Houston is boring?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Most people in Houston love living in a "boring" city.

Let Las Vegas, Miami, San Francisco, Honolulu, San Antonio be "exciting" and deal with all the c.... that comes with it.
San Antonio is NOT exciting!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
That is untrue and we've been through this before. The list was pretty terrible, no clue why the news would pick up an opinion blog like that from... who? Even you yourself have criticized lists (that unlike this one, were actually from respectable sources) just because they were mostly about jobs/economy!

There's a major difference between constructive-criticism and bashing. Too often on this site (and elsewhere), when it comes to Houston it's bashing rather than constructive-criticism. On top of that, they want to hide or cover up anything positive. And let's face it, Houston is perhaps the most bashed and least understood large city in the country, so many Houstonians are already on the defense just because of that. The media and Hollywood don't like Houston, don't understand it, are quite clueless about it and it doesn't fit into their ideal of how they think it should be... always have been and doesn't look like that's changing much. Some cities are much better at marketing themselves than others. Dumb lists/stories like this just fuel the fire, they're not constructive-criticism that could elicit thought-provoking ideas of what to make better. Wrong approach entirely. This shouldn't be that hard to understand.

This weekend, I was able to view several rooms of traveling artifacts from the Titanic on the 100th anniversary to the day of the disaster. Only place in Texas we could do that. One of only a few cities anywhere we could do that (ironically, another of the few cities is Singapore, also on this no-name blogger's "boring" list.) I thought that was quite moving, pretty special and hardly boring. Just one example of the many neat things I've been able to do while living in the Houston metro. Now, maybe some people think that is boring and would rather be wasted-drunk, picking up STDs in bars, blowing their money gambling, or watching all the same-sounding music in bars every weekend. If so than yes, there are many much better cities than Houston for that.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM

710 posts, read 1,393,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Sure. However when the article/list/source is as bad (meaning poor quality) as that one was, or if something's not legit, expect it to get criticism here. Same would likely happen in any other city forum.
Well, yeah. I didn't post it expecting everyone to agree with it. That's the point of a forum - to discuss.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That is untrue and we've been through this before. The list was pretty terrible, no clue why the news would pick up an opinion blog like that from... who? Even you yourself have criticized lists (that unlike this one, were actually from respectable sources) just because they were mostly about jobs/economy!

There's a major difference between constructive-criticism and bashing. Too often on this site (and elsewhere), when it comes to Houston it's bashing rather than constructive-criticism. On top of that, they want to hide or cover up anything positive. And let's face it, Houston is perhaps the most bashed and least understood large city in the country, so many Houstonians are already on the defense just because of that. The media and Hollywood don't like Houston, don't understand it, are quite clueless about it and it doesn't fit into their ideal of how they think it should be... always have been and doesn't look like that's changing much. Some cities are much better at marketing themselves than others. Dumb lists/stories like this just fuel the fire, they're not constructive-criticism that could elicit thought-provoking ideas of what to make better. Wrong approach entirely. This shouldn't be that hard to understand.

This weekend, I was able to view several rooms of traveling artifacts from the Titanic on the 100th anniversary to the day of the disaster. Only place in Texas we could do that. One of only a few cities anywhere we could do that (ironically, another of the few cities is Singapore, also on this no-name blogger's "boring" list.) I thought that was quite moving, pretty special and hardly boring. Just one example of the many neat things I've been able to do while living in the Houston metro. Now, maybe some people think that is boring and would rather be wasted-drunk, picking up STDs in bars, blowing their money gambling, or watching all the same-sounding music in bars every weekend. If so than yes, there are many much better cities than Houston for that.
All can be done in Houston.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,787,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
I can see this in terms of visitors and tourist attractions (which is what this article is about). I always feel awkward when someone visits me here as I have no clue really what to "showoff" about the city.

I guess Houston is a decent place to live - there are definitely more boring places, but there also tons of more interesting places with equivalent attractions. Overall, it's a good city to live fairly cheaply if you are willing to sacrifice other stuff.

Personally, it's not really for me and I'm off to greener pastures after living here 12 years, but thought it was an interesting article...

World's Most Boring Cities to Visit

EDIT: So this has been making the rounds on the local news, etc. and I just realised it's dated April 2010 - almost two years ago! Weird...
This post is rediculous. Houston is FAR from boring. I could spend well over half a day listing things to do in Houston. I agree though that if you don't like the city that you live in, then by all means, move out as soon as you can.

However, like I said, Houston is not boring. If it was, then people like me wouldn't be leaving a city like Dallas frequently to have a good time in Houston on off days and weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston