Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

~Houston is certainly not boring~

However it is not a vacation get away destination....and so what?

Houston is a great city but not for everyone.

Last edited by TVC15; 04-14-2012 at 03:33 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Houston suffers from being the 4th largest city because, as someone else said, it's compared to the top 3--and it can't measure up. Now, if Houston was the 10th largest city, I don't think we'd be getting all these arguments because the expectations would be lower and it would shine among the cities lower down the ladder.
4th largest city?
Are you sure that Houston is larger than DFW?

Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
The people who made this list need to visit Brasilia, Brazil. I'm here right now and talk about BOOOORRRRIINGGGG!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
4th largest city?
Are you sure that Houston is larger than DFW?
The key word is city. Houston is the 4th largest city, DFW is the 4th largest metro area.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Well even these cities rate higher for visitors, I'm sure. Well ATL and Dallas atleast. Its bad to say but Houston is doing good when people visit and say "Houston's ok; its not as bad as I thought" like during Superbowl. But when put in situations where its compared to more "visitor friendly" cities, it fails. I'm still defending the city from the year that it hosted the Essence Music Festival.

I guess I think differently when it comes to comparing cities. As the 4th largest city in the US, I expect Houston to atleast try to be on the level of its peer cities.. Dallas does and its just as boring as Houston...probably moreso . In my mind, I think Houston should atleast strive for Chicago status as a destination city.
No, Houston has more visitors.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
No, Houston has more visitors.

I'm talking about tourists; not visitors for business

Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Wasn't that like a last minute thing that only happened because of Katrina? I doubt Houston is solely to blame for anything that went poorly.
It wasn't the organization of the event that people complained about;it was the city. The complaints were pretty typical of alot of visitors to Houston. The early closing and the fact that everything is spread out all over the place without public transportation to get there.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I hope you enjoy your next city. I here depression meds, SAD, suicide and vitamin D deficiencies run plentiful in Seattle. If I were you I would take a picture of the sun before you leave just in case you forget what it looks like or the COL forces you to pawn your camera.
Ha, yeah, it has a bad rep. but it's actually not as bad as they say. That's the secret, they want you to stay away! The last couple of weekends have been plentiful sunshine. However, the winters ARE dark and gloomy with only a handful of sunny days. For me though, I'll trade it for the unbearably hot, humid summers here. I'm from the UK originally, so I'm used to Seattle's type of weather anyway. I'm more temperature sensitive than weather sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
it has always been my view if you cant find things to do in a city of 2.2 million people, your prob a boring person to begin with..I have found things to do in towns no larger than my high school..truth be told if your not a avenures person you will be bored no matter where you are.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think it's all in what you like to do in whether you find a city boring or not. I like the outdoors, so really that's the only reason I find Houston 'boring'. It's so flat and not many places to hike, etc. that are exciting. True, you can find lots of things to do in Houston - if you like the sort of things offered here (museums, sports, etc.).

Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
What I see here is a terrible minset on native Houstonians. Houston has always sucked so why work to make it better? Well, for several years now the city has been working to make itself better. Houston has made great strides, and there is no reasonn to stop now. Houston has come a long way since it was known as the worst big city in America (although this article doesn't help with perception). Houston has people from all over the country and the world now, and most people are not going to be happy with a sub-standard city. So many people come here on business. Would it be a bad thing to have them spend a few tourist dollars here? Big cheesy tourist attractions? Sea World is fun. 6 Flags is fun. 6th Street is fun. The River Walk is fun. Why can't Houston be fun?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 AM

682 posts, read 834,367 times
I NEVER travel to a city to experience what "visitors" experience. I go to different cities to try in a short short time experience what the residents of that city experience. I don't want to live in Houston and travel to a city that is like Houston...or visa versa...I want a city that has an identity and has its own take on day to day living and experiences.

When living in Chicago/San Francisco/Portland/San Antonio...I hated hated hated all the tourist crap. Didn't hate tourist...but why the hell fly all the way to Chicago to make Navy Pier the number one destination....it is a crap hole....just like Fisherman's Warf/Pier 39 is to San Francisco. The only good thing about those places...they keep the boring tourist out of our way. Love when I bump into visitors at my neighborhood restaurant....those are the kinds of people I love....to visit with and be.

P.S. I agree with some posts on here about Houston's horrible inferiority complex. For some reason it is easier to believe the crap others say or try and compare to other places than just say we are a city of 6 million....vibrant...people...we have tons of culture and tons of beauty (if you measure a city by what it looks like via the Interstate please stay at the Holiday Inn nearest the airport and go home). Houston just needs to focus on all the huge resources and talents that are here now....and pull them all together....lift them up and for GOD SAKE stop saying biggest best...sounds like penis size contest sometimes. P.P.S. Galveston...oh my God that could be a destination in just a generation if they would get some new blood down there (the old families....are killing it).

Last edited by Chicago3rd; 04-14-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston