Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 PM

44 posts, read 187,950 times

Advertisements

I really want to get a Bachelor's in Finance but didnt get into the business school. My early college decisions are really hurting me at the moment. What are some alternatives? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. May end up choosing Economics as a major now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
University of Houston Downtown and University of Houston Clear Lake offer degrees in Finance. Transfer to one of those schools. It's probably easier to get into their programs.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM

44 posts, read 187,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
University of Houston Downtown and University of Houston Clear Lake offer degrees in Finance. Transfer to one of those schools. It's probably easier to get into their programs.
Was also tginking of raising my GPA while pursuing BS in economics for one semester since you need ro take some of the same courses for both programs. I hear there are many job opportunities with a BS in econ in Houston.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Economics is a good alternative, though I'll warn you: If you're GPA is really that bad (and it's hard to raise a bad GPA too high), your job prospects are going to be fairly limited no matter what major you pursue. I'm not trying to be rude or start a debate, but the people you see on the news who are $80k in debt with student loans and work at Chuy's as a waiter -- those are the people who graduated with a 2.1.

You might look at retaking some of your worst classes (I don't know your schools policy on retaking classes) to see if you can replace some D's with A's. Otherwise, you can try to finish off more of your gen ed classes and reapply, or just choose a different major -- with economics being the closest to finance.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
I thought transferring resets your GPA? As long as you get accepted into the school you want after transferring, you start off at 0.0 essentially (at THAT school). If you graduate from that school with a 3.0 or above, I'm sure employees will look at that, instead of what you did as a freshman. I'm hoping that's what happens at least. My first year in school, my GPA was low (1.8 GPA). Transferred to a two year, and I'm at a 3.0 at my current school. Now, I did retake some classes I made Ds and Cs in as a freshman over the summer.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Check your mail. I hear UCLA sent out 900 erroneous acceptances.

Just kidding... good luck.

Ronnie

Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM

258 posts, read 954,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I thought transferring resets your GPA? As long as you get accepted into the school you want after transferring, you start off at 0.0 essentially (at THAT school). If you graduate from that school with a 3.0 or above, I'm sure employees will look at that, instead of what you did as a freshman. I'm hoping that's what happens at least. My first year in school, my GPA was low (1.8 GPA). Transferred to a two year, and I'm at a 3.0 at my current school. Now, I did retake some classes I made Ds and Cs in as a freshman over the summer.
Yes but having a low gpa at the current school will reduce your chances of getting accepted into the school you wish you transfer into, which I think is the case of the OP.

In fact most departments at a University will have minimum requirements for transfer applications. You can meet those requirements, but not get accepted because of the application pool. You can try again next semester and hope you compare better than the rest of the applicants.

One other thing that most people don't consider is that when you take all of your basics at a community college and transfer to a University to finish your degree, is that now you're only left with degree-oriented classes, so it may be tougher to manage.

Example: Take 2 yrs of basics at Jr college, transfer into an engineering program at a University. Instead of balancing a class schedule with "easy" and "hard" classes, the only classes remaining for you to take are all "hard" engineering classes.

Just a tip.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Economics is a good alternative, though I'll warn you: If you're GPA is really that bad (and it's hard to raise a bad GPA too high), your job prospects are going to be fairly limited no matter what major you pursue. I'm not trying to be rude or start a debate, but the people you see on the news who are $80k in debt with student loans and work at Chuy's as a waiter -- those are the people who graduated with a 2.1.
Really? What was your Doctor's GPA? No one really cares unless you're looking to get to Wall Street or to a post-grad school. No one has ever asked me what my GPA was, just whether or not I had the little letters after my name.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM

129 posts, read 382,554 times
I hire college grads frequently and we always look at the gpa. Obviously it is not the only or the biggest factor, but it is a factor used to narrow the field.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehtown View Post
I hire college grads frequently and we always look at the gpa. Obviously it is not the only or the biggest factor, but it is a factor used to narrow the field.
So, do you look at overall gpa, or latest gpa from the university the person graduated from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: