Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Worldlyman, please!! What on earth??!! Don't be upset because the thread starter wasn't convinced that Houston is his/hers place to move to yet. And once again just because a city has more residents doesn't add up to the better city. Yes Seattle has lots of tourist which to me is a great thing. Its a great thing to know people do want to visit our city. For me I love cities with a vibrant city center. I also love walkable cities with interesting neighborhoods, good public transportation, density, conveniences within walking distance. I'm glad Houston is finally starting to realize that these types of things are important and make for a great city. Thank god they started to do something positive with downtown, midtown and the rest of the inner loop. As far as Vancouver B.C. it is beautiful isn't it? Truely one of my favorite cities in the world. Oh, and where is Rainier Square?
Make no mistake. Houston is improving on its reputation to make it only better. The city is perfectly fine and thoroughly enjoyable to millions of people already. I'm glad we're getting better things, but really, who needs a vibrant city center when you have a vibrant city? That's Houston.

And interesting neighborhoods has never even been close to being a problem for this city.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Houston we have a problem, and I think its PERSON.

Wordlyman, we love our city just like you love yours. Pretentious, plastic people are in every city including Houston. Don't get mad because god created the 'Pristine' natural beauty around here in Seattle. We know our city is not perfect, so don't hate.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who prefer the Southern beauty of Houston. The bayous, pines, giant oaks, spanish moss, kudzu vines, forests, and even the soft clay of the flat plains. Versus anything that's in Seattle.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Actually I find Seattle, San Francisco and New York all larger than life than Houston (SF and Seattle I lived for at least 2 years, NY for half year, LV visited only) and those places certainly has more oddness and eccentricity, IMO.

I find the folks in Houston more down to earth and practical.
I would only say that New York seems more larger than life.

And down to earth and practical is an understatement. If this city was those things, people would not be constantly criticizing it. Houston is as quirky and eccentric as they come.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Make no mistake. Houston is improving on its reputation to make it only better. The city is perfectly fine and thoroughly enjoyable to millions of people already. I'm glad we're getting better things, but really, who needs a vibrant city center when you have a vibrant city? That's Houston.

And interesting neighborhoods has never even been close to being a problem for this city.
What a ridiculous statement. All of our cities have interesting neighborhoods. Its Houston itself that is finally realizing it does need and want a vibrant downtown.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous statement. All of our cities have interesting neighborhoods. Its Houston itself that is finally realizing it does need and want a vibrant downtown.
agreed. but its only a matter of time when the sons and daughters of the woodlands, sugarlands, ranchos residents of houston need to get away from home (+migrants) and bring life to midsection of houston - that is if theyre not going for SF, NY, Chicago and other alot cooler places

Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 135,070 times
You can't even begin to compare the two. What's better, green or purple? There's no answer, only what you prefer.

Oz and H-town couldn't be more different. Populations for one. Geography for two. Do you prefer LA or NY? What about if NY had more scenic beauty and was a MUCH smaller and LA was MUCH more humid and less beaches and no mountains? An oversimplification? Of course. But it's still close enough for conversation sake.

Some say Seattle is like SF but with rain and a little colder.

Anyway. You've got to pick. I chose Houston over Seattle five years ago for cost of living. On that issue, there is no comparison either.

As for diversity, I've heard it said that Seattle is not diverse in complexion, but is in the diversity of thought and opinion. Houston is most likely the diametric opposite. Ive heard of the freeze too but I've also heard the freeze does not exist in the suburbs.

As for the r word, it's very real in many places. The upper class in H town has one complexion and one branch of faith. I guess that's so in all places, but it feels institutional here. If that's an issue for you, it will feel odd down here.

And again, you have to weigh how much that means to you.

Good luck in your choice.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who prefer the Southern beauty of Houston. The bayous, pines, giant oaks, spanish moss, kudzu vines, forests, and even the soft clay of the flat plains. Versus anything that's in Seattle.

Living here for most of my life I have a question. Where's this kudzu at?? I wasn't aware it spread this far west and I've never seen this here. I'd think it would be quite noticeable.

If I may be technical for a moment, the pines & forests that weren't planted by developers are on the N/NE fringes and probably aren't even the city proper; the rest of Houston is a coastal grassland mainly with oaks, mesquites and ragweeds. There's about as much "southern beauty" in most of the areas around here as there is in Victoria.

And our clay is some crazy "soil" - take a hammer to it when it's dry someday. You may mistake it for a lodged piece of concrete!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,464 times
City proper:

Kingwood - Home

Last edited by BearBranch; 09-20-2007 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Kingwood is an exclusive section on the NE fringe and is not typical of the rest of Houston's bio-diversity. Therefore such blanket statements are very misleading. "Lichens and toadstools" is a much more accurate description than "kudzu and spanish moss."

Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
I thought only American men have a weird definition of exotic beauty . I really doubt people are in Houston for its appearance, natural characteristics and geographical layout. Houston is a practical choice, same reason some big corporations and NASA are in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston