Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If I may be technical for a moment, the pines & forests that weren't planted by developers are on the N/NE fringes and probably aren't even the city proper; the rest of Houston is a coastal grassland mainly with oaks, mesquites and ragweeds. There's about as much "southern beauty" in most of the areas around here as there is in Victoria.
All of the pines in Memorial Park and in the neighborhoods on the west side that run along Buffalo Bayou are planted??

Old 09-20-2007, 03:11 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
All of the pines in Memorial Park and in the neighborhoods on the west side that run along Buffalo Bayou are planted??
My bad, should've said "most." There are plenty of oaks in Memorial park as well.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Quote:
My bad, should've said "most." There are plenty of oaks in Memorial park as well.
Yes, I used to live in that area. Loved it. Definitely did not look like planted trees, looked very natural.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What a ridiculous statement. All of our cities have interesting neighborhoods. Its Houston itself that is finally realizing it does need and want a vibrant downtown.
You're the one who made the comment about interesting neighborhoods, as if Houston doesn't have them. A lot of Houstonians do want a better downtown, but most of us could care less. Life doesn't stop because your city's downtown sucks.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Living here for most of my life I have a question. Where's this kudzu at?? I wasn't aware it spread this far west and I've never seen this here. I'd think it would be quite noticeable.

If I may be technical for a moment, the pines & forests that weren't planted by developers are on the N/NE fringes and probably aren't even the city proper; the rest of Houston is a coastal grassland mainly with oaks, mesquites and ragweeds. There's about as much "southern beauty" in most of the areas around here as there is in Victoria.

And our clay is some crazy "soil" - take a hammer to it when it's dry someday. You may mistake it for a lodged piece of concrete!
You obviously aren't talking about Houston, Texas because the kudzu is all over the place. And actually, the pine is the second most populous tree in Houston (which is about 28% forest, I believe...after development). But most of Houston isn't grassland, though. The city is under a blanket of trees. Most ugly, but it's lush nonetheless.

Remember that Houston sits at a geographic junction, which pretty much seperates the south central and southeastern U.S., so different areas of the city look pretty different from one another.

TPWmagazine says that the most common invasive tree in Houston is the Chinese tallow at 23% of forested land (large, gorgeous tree)
The Loblolly pine is the most common native tree in Houston at 19%. Other common plants are the longleaf pine, elms, hickory, oak, and ashes (to name a few).

Here's the kudzu map: according to this map, the plant can pretty much be found in every inch of the city. I'm sure most Houstonians would question how you missed it. I've seen it as far west as the Cameron, Texas area.

Last edited by mpope409; 09-20-2007 at 08:14 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I thought only American men have a weird definition of exotic beauty . I really doubt people are in Houston for its appearance, natural characteristics and geographical layout. Houston is a practical choice, same reason some big corporations and NASA are in it
If you say so, but no one's really cared for your opinions.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,552,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I thought only American men have a weird definition of exotic beauty . I really doubt people are in Houston for its appearance, natural characteristics and geographical layout. Houston is a practical choice, same reason some big corporations and NASA are in it
I agree somewhat, and it does hold true for me that my reasons for being here are practical. Thanks for your opinion.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM

657 posts, read 2,534,839 times
You've got to know where to look in Houston. There's lots of parks and Hershey Trail is nice.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
You reminded me about the chinese tallow and the ash trees. We had those growing up in Sugar Land. Having berry fights we planted a tree in the process.

Kudzu - the map attached tells me it stopped growing in Texarkana and Mississippi and blew over to Harris county... has Houston used this ornamentally in the spots I need to look for? Because it's the only county within the metro area to have it. When I think of Kudzu, I think of Atlanta. Green vines everywhere. We did not have that green in Sugar Land or Clear Lake... I only see trees going across south 610, and I don't see it along the coast - Alvin to Freeport to Galveston to Clear Lake. Have I been blind for this long?
(Show me some pictures please.)

Read paragraph #5 of:
Asian soybean rust found in southeast Texas

“In this particular region of Texas, there’s hardly any kudzu." -- referring to Dayton, Liberty County (far northeast).
Attached Thumbnails
Houston vs Seattle-kudzu_distr.jpg  

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
You reminded me about the chinese tallow and the ash trees. We had those growing up in Sugar Land. Having berry fights we planted a tree in the process.

Kudzu - the map attached tells me it stopped growing in Texarkana and Mississippi and blew over to Harris county... has Houston used this ornamentally in the spots I need to look for? Because it's the only county within the metro area to have it. When I think of Kudzu, I think of Atlanta. Green vines everywhere. We did not have that green in Sugar Land or Clear Lake... I only see trees going across south 610, and I don't see it along the coast - Alvin to Freeport to Galveston to Clear Lake. Have I been blind for this long?
(Show me some pictures please.)

Read paragraph #5 of:
Asian soybean rust found in southeast Texas

“In this particular region of Texas, there’s hardly any kudzu." -- referring to Dayton, Liberty County (far northeast).
Kudzu, which you will likely not find along a coast, is not a plant native to America. It's an invasive plant that was intentionally introduced to the southeastern U.S. (Houston included) for farming purposes. Evidently, the city of Houston doesn't have it in abundance as much as Atlanta because we are further west, but it's here and all around. In fact, as I've said before, I see it all over the eastern half of Texas. While Houston may not be covered in the vine, it is a plant characteristic of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston