Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,231 times

Advertisements

We are looking at renting a home in the Shadow Creek Ranch subdivision. Husband will be working at the Med center. I have two questions. Ok, maybe three. First, is that a generally safe area to live? Second, can can anyone tell me approximate commute times if he needs to be at work at 7am? Third, would it be faster to take Almeda or 288? Thanks so much for any information you can give us. We are both from out of state and have only spent a couple of days in Houston so we are really unfamiliar with the area!

Last edited by Emcredible; 04-30-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
Shadow Creek Ranch is relatively safe if you are renting a house. Commute times should not be long leaving so early in the morning. It will depend on where in Shadow Creek Ranch you are though in relation to 288. I would say 288 is better than Almeda, but I don't commute. 288 can get bad if there is an accident or if there is a big backup getting onto 610 or the beltway. Commute to the med center is rated to be about 15 to 30 minutes, but that would be after you get on the freeway, I imagine.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,573,060 times
Shadow Creek Ranch is very safe, very walkable, very friendly! The problem is once you get inside the beltway (north of Pearland), you have some of the poorest neighborhoods in Houston that are vastly underserved by retail so a lot of them make their way down to the nice shiny shops around Pearland Town Center. There have been issues in the shopping areas (robbery, carjackings, one shooting a year or so ago and certainly not a frequent event), but not in the neighborhoods of SCR. They're pretty safe

I would definitely take 288 over Almeda as it goes through some funky neighborhoods (I wouldn't worry about getting carjacked, but you might get hassled for change at the stoplights and Almeda isn't a very nice surface to drive on). 288 CAN be awful after 7am but you're not on it for too far. It could take between 15 and 40 minutes but if you're out around 6:30, you should be at work with time to spare.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,186,573 times
[quote=timtemtym;24102648]I would definitely take 288 over Almeda as it goes through some funky neighborhoods (I wouldn't worry about getting carjacked, but you might get hassled for change at the stoplights and Almeda isn't a very nice surface to drive on).

Don 't agree with this at all. We leave every morning around 6:45AM and take Almeda. You couldn't pay me to take 288. Our commute is to downtown, Louisiana St. and takes 35 - 40 almost every day. Almeda isn't a "funky neighborhood" at all. It's primarily industrial until you cross over Holmes, then it's Med Center City.

I've lived in SCR for over two years and have never once seen a panhandler on Almeda from SCR to the Med Center... okay, maybe once.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,629 times
I am not familiar with SCR but can tell you that 288 is not too bad if you get on it before 6:20. I work at Stella Link and Bellaire and it only takes me about 25 or 30 mins. to get to work if I leave at 6:20. I sometimes use Almeda Rd to get home if it is past 5:00, otherwise 288 is fine until that time. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,186,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I am not familiar with SCR but can tell you that 288 is not too bad if you get on it before 6:20. I work at Stella Link and Bellaire and it only takes me about 25 or 30 mins. to get to work if I leave at 6:20. I sometimes use Almeda Rd to get home if it is past 5:00, otherwise 288 is fine until that time. Good luck with your move!
Unless they're replace the sewer lines on Almeda. LOL We dodge around and come back out @ Holly Hall and Almeda.

What's up with that anyway? They seem to replace the sewer lines every other year.

ronnie

Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,058,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcredible View Post
First, is that a generally safe area to live? Shadow Creek Ranch is pretty safe. Nothing really to worry about other than the normal precautions that everyone should take like locking doors and being vigilant. It's a great area surrounded by almost all the shopping you could want and need. Maybe too much! Traffic can be a pain going to and from the retail areas from most of the Western sections of Pearland.
Second, can can anyone tell me approximate commute times if he needs to be at work at 7am? 30-45 minutes sounds about right at the time.
Good luck!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM

184 posts, read 315,212 times
Anyone familiar with Shadow Falls Ln off Regents Bay? I think the neighborhood is Regents Glen? Wife and I are looking at a nice 4 bedroom over there.
We haven't made up our minds between SCR and ST yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: