Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM

38 posts, read 63,035 times

Advertisements

In my previous thread, I was baffled as to where to start. In addition to the advice here, I've spoken with a couple for realtors. The advice has been, shall we say, inconsistant. I'm noticing a slight bias based on where they are located, with one wanting to talk me out of Klein and the other wanting me to avoid Sugar Land.

In the end, I identified four viable areas to consider - Klein, Sugar Land, Cypress, and Katy. I figured out which schools I approve of in each area and have been focused accordingly.

Since I wouldn't be moving out until the end of June/beginning July, maybe I'm starting too early, but I would think that realtors would be a bit more responsive. Maybe I misunderstood them and I was supposed to call about something to follow up, but one hasn't emailed me after I thought she would and the other hasn't returned my emails a day after sending me one.

Anyway, I digress.

My list of schools is the following:
Klein - Brill, Mittelstadt, Hassler, Haude, Theiss (maybe)
Sugar Land - Parkway, Colony Meadows, Commonwealth, Cornerstone, Settlers
Cypress - Sampson
Katy - Pattison, Holland, Williams, Nottingham, Alexander

Since I can't find anything in my bracket - 2600+ sq.ft., 4 br, 2 ba, <=$2200 (to be neg down to <=$2000) - in Sugar Land, I'm looking at the other three.

I can't find any specific crime data for Klein or Cypress, especially focused on those neighborhoods where the schools are located (Cypress is especially difficult).

My plan, as I see it, is to try to come out to Houston a week before I start work, and stay with family and friends in different parts of the city. Each morning I would drive the commute to work from one of the different zones, and each afternoon drive back out. In the daytime, I would look at properties. After a few days, I would hopefully find the right one, do the paperwork, and be set. I would fly back out over the 6/30 weekend and drive back with my family through 7/4.

So, now that I've started my search, I have some questions:

1) Am I being too hard the realtors in my expectations? This would be especially the case if I'm looking too early (although the only place that I've really liked was already listed as Pending But Still Showing)

2) Is there solid crime data for non-Houston available? The best I found was one that said that Klein is likely to get me murdered and raped; Cypress is just as bad as the rest of Harris county and I'll end up murdered and raped; Katy is inside a magical bubble where nothing illegal ever happens.

3) Am I expecting too much from a house in the listed areas?

4) Am I expecting too much in expecting a potential landlord to negotiate down from $2200 (although I have bookmarked a few 2400 properties as well, just in case)?

5) Is my plan reasonable?

6) Do I ask too many questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I live in the Mittelstadt elementary attendance area, south of the creek. This is as safe as you will find. The crime here is mainly among friends. Although that guy exposing himself at Barnes and Noble was a shocker.

Also, Klein covers a huge area. So does Cypress. I would buy in either place.

Somehow, the 1960 area gets a real bad rap. The same things happen in Sugar Land and nobody notices.

The low rent area around south of 1960 and Kukendahl has created havoc with community. We need more police. The subdivisions are paying protection money for all practical purposes.

The state ruined that intersection when they put in the underpass. That project got dragged out for years. No business would sign a long term lease. Then the TDHCA came in with the low income housing. It looks like they targeted to area to become slum so folks would move to MPC.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

So, to make sure I understand correctly, you are saying that the high crime is south of 1960, primarily at the Kukendahl intersection? Looking at the maps, 1960 is about 2m south of where I'm looking, and the intersection is about 5-7m away.

Around here, 2m is a bit of distance from high crime and 5-7 is another world. However, with my perception that people in Texas have no problem travelling great distances, that could mean that crime is on your doorstep.

I was hoping, since both Klein and Cypress cover large areas, that I could find more detailed data. Since I'm looking at a somewhat small portion of Klein and infintessimal portion of Cypress, I would like to be able to weed out distant crime (or identify that I'm looking at higher risk areas).

Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 PM

392 posts, read 998,929 times
Eh I would not say the Kukendahl/1960 area is that bad however I have not lived there in 10 years but do still drive thru the area.

I think the other end, 1960/249 area is allot worse. I know they recently just cleaned up allot of prostitution shops in that area.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM

That's by the Willowbrook area, right? If my friends who live in the area aren't available to let me sleep on a couch, I was going to get a hotel room there for a couple nights, since it is only a few miles from Champion Forest. Now, I'm wondering if that means crime is too close. Although prostitution is generally not a violent crime, it tends to leave violent crime in its wake.

It's funny how much you tolerate when you are single or just married versus after you have kids.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,482 times
Quote:
I think the other end, 1960/249 area is allot worse. I know they recently just cleaned up allot of prostitution shops in that area.
What? I think this is inaccurate. That prostitution that was just cleaned up was at 1960 near I-45 not 249.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Yea I was talking about the willowbrook area. Have a co worker that lives in the area who says she is scared going to the store to get grocerys.

I don't know how much actual crime goes on around there, or if she is just scared of black people in general lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
What? I think this is inaccurate. That prostitution that was just cleaned up was at 1960 near I-45 not 249.
The 2 shops that I had noticed were both closer to the 249 side. I know there were several shut down in the 1960 corridor so maybe it was all up and down it /shrug

Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
The 2 shops that I had noticed were both closer to the 249 side. I know there were several shut down in the 1960 corridor so maybe it was all up and down it /shrug
Like I said in another thread, in Houston crime is rampant to the point that New Orleans looks like Mayberry.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2 View Post
Like I said in another thread, in Houston crime is rampant to the point that New Orleans looks like Mayberry.
Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston