Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:56 PM

175 posts, read 370,230 times

Advertisements

Thinking of enrolling my kid into the School of the Woods, but for some reason there isn't much info out there about this school compared to other private schols. Any experiences with the School of the Woods? Pros/cons? Areas of concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 AM

381 posts, read 1,093,520 times
My son attended SOW for 3 years-all in Early Childhood Education. We moved to San Antonio but we were planning on keeping him at SOW through high school! We loved SOW. Its a little on the small side and didn't have a lot of extra circular activities to offer (at least at the preschool/Kinder level) but the school has a very intimate, homey feel. The grounds are so beautiful.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks for your reply. The school looks good, but my major concern is the level of academics. That is what most people complain about Montessori type programs. How was the academic part of the school?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Its hard to say since my DS was only there for preschool/K. I've heard this concern before in regards to Montessori. However the great thing about Montessori is that grades/levels are combined (preschool and K are together, 1-3rd are together) so each child can work at a more advanced level if capable.

I had no concerns with the academics at SOW and did not hear about any.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Thank you. I'm waiting for their open house, which will be in OCtober. Hope I can see everything for myself. Was it difficult to get in? I'm looking at pre-K or K for starters.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 PM

14 posts, read 36,278 times
I went to SOTW from preschool through elementary in the 1980s, then left for public jr. high and high school in SBISD. At that time SOTW did not have tests or homework--I don't know if this has changed. I never took a test (except for the year-end standardized tests) until I went to jr. high.

When I got to jr. high, I made straight A's and was quickly put into GT and other advanced programs, then I graduated *** laude from Memorial High School. My brother's experience from SOTW to public school was similar and today my brother and I both have doctorate degrees.

I've been to SOTW reunions and most of my former classmates have graduate degrees. So I'd say it's a great path to a lifetime of learning.

My only concern is the small size. It's bigger now but when I was there it felt very small by the time I was 10--like only a few kids per grade once you enter jr. high. Perhaps these small numbers contribute to the lack of information for you to find.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM

I appreciate your information. I scheduled a visit to SOTW next week. I'm definitely insterested. I did not know much about Montessori, but now, after reading more about the method, I realized that my own teaching (I'm a teacher, but my degree is from another country) is very much montessori-like.
I personally do not mind small classes. I graduated from a class of 24. It may be an advantage to my child, because she has a slight anxiety about big classes, big schools, crowds, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 PM

I put my DS on a waiting list about a year before he was to enroll in pre-K. We had no trouble getting in.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM

That's great! The lady on the phone mentioned a waiting list, so I'm a bit concerned, but I do have time. My baby is only 3 y.o.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston