Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM

135 posts, read 179,560 times

Advertisements

I'm an Angeleno. I love In 'N' Out, but I came across this article today.......

Quote:
So this Italian boxer named Andrea Magi opens a pizza joint in London. Then he adds a second London store.
And then he takes on Houston.

Mascalzone, which is known for its eponymous half pizza/half calzone concoction, will open Aug. 18 on Westheimer near Kirkwood.

“I chose Houston for Mascalzone’s first U.S. location because of its vibrant, growing international community and adventurous palates,” Magi said in a release. “I’m excited to bring old and new favorite Italian dishes to the community and offer an experience that is 100 percent Italian and 100 percent unique.”
Bottom line, the food options in Houston are better, more diverse, and more "sophisticated", if you will, than any other place in Texas, and its not even close. I've forgotten more about In 'N' Out burger than anyone in this forum will ever know, and I am a bit happier that Houston gets good restaurants, as opposed to becoming just a reliable satellite to another American macro-chain (big hint - In 'N' Out will not change your life). You will get your double-double in due time, but please, enjoy one of the best food scenes in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Never eaten at in-n-out in Dallas, or anywhere in TX, but I lived in L.A. for a few years, and later lived in Las Vegas after they expanded there... and I can definitely say, without the slightest trace of doubt, that the Vegas locations were nowhere near as good as anything in SoCal. I have heard the same thing from people who have eaten at all the expansion locations. Phoenix, Dallas, Austin... it's always the same opinion.
I agree with you. I've ate at a couple in Cali and once in Dallas earlier this year. The Dallas In-N-Out was horrible compared to the ones from Cali. I thought to myself, really? This is the burger I've been telling everyone that's great? In Cali it's great, outside of Cali it's mediocre imo.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,231 times
^it's funny how we all have different perspectives/tastes. Having grown up in Cali, we had In n out almost weekly. Recently went to the one in Austin and it tasted exactly as I remember it to taste. So delicious and fresh! Can't wait until they open up in Houston.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
Lightbulb In-N-Out is the best FAST FOOD burger

I absolutely find it amusing that all these trolls sit here on CD and comment as to why In-n-Out is not in the city of Houston. There have been some fantastic points made, and a lot of utter BS made by stubborn narrow minded people, who thrive on ignorance.

I say all that, purely in reference to IaO, and why people think they are not in Houston. I was born and raised in Southern California, so yes, I grew up eating Double Doubles. I have eaten at IaO burgers all up and down California, in Nevada, Arizona, Utah and in Texas. I have driven to Austin and Dallas both to experience it. I have eaten at the original, store #1. I have also sent time at In-n-Out University. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but Im sure others would. And I would venture to guess I know more about IaO then 95% of people on CD making the arguments. There are many people on here arguing for and against IaO. I would like to throw my knowledge and two cents in:

First, I will state that I believe that In-n-Out makes thee best Fast Food burger out there. And I will tell you why. First, there needs to be a distinction made in my statement. I never said it was the best. Living here in Houston, there are many fine eateries that serve great burgers. Hubcap grill is certainly one of them. But Hubcap Grill is not a fast food joint. To put it, and Red Robin and other restaurants in the same league as IaO, is not fair for the specialty restaurants. You basically have lowered their standards in comparing them to IaO.

Make no mistake, I would take a double double any day over many restaurants though. But here is why I find IaO burger to be the best fast food burger: Everything is FRESH, never frozen. The menu is simple, and Im not referring to that secret menu stuff either. Burgers, fries, drinks. Thats it. Simple. The way its always been. They never freeze a single ingredient. IaO has a philosophy, that if you are going to put an ingredient on a burger, it needs to e incorporated in to every single bite. So if they put a tomato on it, and it only covers 1/2-2/3 of the burger, they put another tomato on. Lettuce covers the entire bun. French fries come from fresh potatoes, cooked in a vegetable oil blend as opposed to peanut oil or canola. The shakes are made with real ice cream, no non-dairy product like McDonalds uses. And everything is made fresh to order. The secret menu exists as a way to offer alternatives to the simple menu, but the secret menu is only using items that originate off the original menu.

People don't understand this, or know, that IaO had to build a meat processing plant and distribution center outside of Dallas. Because nothing is frozen, every store must be within a 10 hour drive by truck from the center in order to be viable. They chose Dallas, because it puts them within reach of other states to the north, and other large metro areas as far away as St. Louis. Logistics wise, it made sense. Dallas also has a lot of transplants from the west coast, so they had a fan base.

IaO operates under the 7% expansion rule, meaning they will only expand their business by 7% each year. Each store is still owned by the family, there is not a singe franchise. This allows the family to keep tight reigns on control and consistency. If they expand faster then 7%, they won't be able to deliver and execute the same at every store. When Dallas was first launched, after the distribution center was running, they launched 8 stores at once. Now, years later, they are at close to 20 in the DFW metro.

As it pertain to Houston, here is where I will offer my opinion. As a resident of Space City now, and a fan of IaO. Houston is a large city. We all know that. Its the 4th largest in America. With lots of transplants and natives alike. First, IaO had to deal with the Hubcap Grill legal mess. It happened as soon as they entered the state. Which many people have pointed out, it left a negative taste in Houstonians eyes when it happened, and the Cease and Desist burger became immensely popular. Fast forward a couple years, its an after thought. Like an "oh yeah, I kinda remember something happened about that." Only the ardent enthusiasts know the details of what went down. Combine the fact that they had to let time, and legalities rest, with the fact that its the 4th largest city. When IaO makes the move for Houston, which they will, it will be like Dallas.

The saw that they could successfully launch 8 stores at once in a city. Then they hit Austin and Round Rock. Now San Antonio and New Braunfels. Smaller markets compared to Houston, but it builds anticipation. It allows them to grow in the state, and within the 7%. When they finally announce Houston, I believe it will go down like Dallas, and they will launch multiple sites at once. They will most likely look for a site or two inside the loop, then one in Katy, Sugarland, the Woodlands, League City, Pasadena, maybe Humble and Cypress. They will blitz, far and wide and invade Houston all at once. You cannot launch one store in Houston, and expect everything to be ok.

Its going to happen. The fa base is here. There are haters, because they are food snobs. But again, you can't say its the best burger ever, because its not. It is the best fast food burger. With minimal ingredients which are always fresh. And thats what sets it apart. Not to mention, its a great burger thats about half the price of Five Guys or Smashburger.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,727 times
^
|
|
|

Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
We Do not need another burger place we already have these awesome burger places

Hubcap
Burger Bus
Wild Kitchen
Cues
Roadster
Jax
Broiler Burger

Old 02-08-2015, 06:07 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgordon View Post
I absolutely find it amusing that all these trolls sit here on CD and comment as to why In-n-Out is not in the city of Houston. There have been some fantastic points made, and a lot of utter BS made by stubborn narrow minded people, who thrive on ignorance.

I say all that, purely in reference to IaO, and why people think they are not in Houston. I was born and raised in Southern California, so yes, I grew up eating Double Doubles. I have eaten at IaO burgers all up and down California, in Nevada, Arizona, Utah and in Texas. I have driven to Austin and Dallas both to experience it. I have eaten at the original, store #1. I have also sent time at In-n-Out University. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but Im sure others would. And I would venture to guess I know more about IaO then 95% of people on CD making the arguments. There are many people on here arguing for and against IaO. I would like to throw my knowledge and two cents in:

First, I will state that I believe that In-n-Out makes thee best Fast Food burger out there. And I will tell you why. First, there needs to be a distinction made in my statement. I never said it was the best. Living here in Houston, there are many fine eateries that serve great burgers. Hubcap grill is certainly one of them. But Hubcap Grill is not a fast food joint. To put it, and Red Robin and other restaurants in the same league as IaO, is not fair for the specialty restaurants. You basically have lowered their standards in comparing them to IaO.

Make no mistake, I would take a double double any day over many restaurants though. But here is why I find IaO burger to be the best fast food burger: Everything is FRESH, never frozen. The menu is simple, and Im not referring to that secret menu stuff either. Burgers, fries, drinks. Thats it. Simple. The way its always been. They never freeze a single ingredient. IaO has a philosophy, that if you are going to put an ingredient on a burger, it needs to e incorporated in to every single bite. So if they put a tomato on it, and it only covers 1/2-2/3 of the burger, they put another tomato on. Lettuce covers the entire bun. French fries come from fresh potatoes, cooked in a vegetable oil blend as opposed to peanut oil or canola. The shakes are made with real ice cream, no non-dairy product like McDonalds uses. And everything is made fresh to order. The secret menu exists as a way to offer alternatives to the simple menu, but the secret menu is only using items that originate off the original menu.

People don't understand this, or know, that IaO had to build a meat processing plant and distribution center outside of Dallas. Because nothing is frozen, every store must be within a 10 hour drive by truck from the center in order to be viable. They chose Dallas, because it puts them within reach of other states to the north, and other large metro areas as far away as St. Louis. Logistics wise, it made sense. Dallas also has a lot of transplants from the west coast, so they had a fan base.

IaO operates under the 7% expansion rule, meaning they will only expand their business by 7% each year. Each store is still owned by the family, there is not a singe franchise. This allows the family to keep tight reigns on control and consistency. If they expand faster then 7%, they won't be able to deliver and execute the same at every store. When Dallas was first launched, after the distribution center was running, they launched 8 stores at once. Now, years later, they are at close to 20 in the DFW metro.

As it pertain to Houston, here is where I will offer my opinion. As a resident of Space City now, and a fan of IaO. Houston is a large city. We all know that. Its the 4th largest in America. With lots of transplants and natives alike. First, IaO had to deal with the Hubcap Grill legal mess. It happened as soon as they entered the state. Which many people have pointed out, it left a negative taste in Houstonians eyes when it happened, and the Cease and Desist burger became immensely popular. Fast forward a couple years, its an after thought. Like an "oh yeah, I kinda remember something happened about that." Only the ardent enthusiasts know the details of what went down. Combine the fact that they had to let time, and legalities rest, with the fact that its the 4th largest city. When IaO makes the move for Houston, which they will, it will be like Dallas.

The saw that they could successfully launch 8 stores at once in a city. Then they hit Austin and Round Rock. Now San Antonio and New Braunfels. Smaller markets compared to Houston, but it builds anticipation. It allows them to grow in the state, and within the 7%. When they finally announce Houston, I believe it will go down like Dallas, and they will launch multiple sites at once. They will most likely look for a site or two inside the loop, then one in Katy, Sugarland, the Woodlands, League City, Pasadena, maybe Humble and Cypress. They will blitz, far and wide and invade Houston all at once. You cannot launch one store in Houston, and expect everything to be ok.

Its going to happen. The fa base is here. There are haters, because they are food snobs. But again, you can't say its the best burger ever, because its not. It is the best fast food burger. With minimal ingredients which are always fresh. And thats what sets it apart. Not to mention, its a great burger thats about half the price of Five Guys or Smashburger.
Excellent post! I heard 2015 so lets hope for the best! While I respect how Whataburger is run and operated, In n Out >>>> Whataburger any-day.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Here in Ohio, Wendy's and Tim Horton's have some locations joined in the same building (like Taco Bell/Pizza Hut) from when the two were under the same corporate ownership.

If there were ever INO/Krispy Kreme outlets in Houston, heads would explode.

Probably arteries, too.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Here in Ohio, Wendy's and Tim Horton's have some locations joined in the same building (like Taco Bell/Pizza Hut) from when the two were under the same corporate ownership.

If there were ever INO/Krispy Kreme outlets in Houston, heads would explode.

Probably arteries, too.
Free cardiologist visit with every 10 purchases.

Agree that we have many burger options already. I don't see how this one is hugely better than others. Yes, Ive had them a few times.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:06 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
^
|
|
|
The oldest didntreadlol.gif out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston