Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,147 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a home that has had foundation repair done in the past. Just recently i found this area where grass was not growing and pulled up the dead sod that had been laid down to find this hole at the edge of my home.

Should this be filled in with sand or some type of soil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
You should have gotten the foundation repair warranty with your closing paperwork. I would suggest looking there and contacting the repair company to come out and look at it and make the correct recommendation.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,147 times
I have contacted the company, in fact i've called a few times with no answer, left a voice mail with no response and i've sent an email with a copy of the warranty information and a the picture of my problem. No response yet.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Call Jericho to have them come out and give a bid and offer their opinion on what is going on with the house. Very honest company. That's the problem with transferable warranties on foundation repair - it's only as good as the company itself. Church and Olshans both do good work - but the one I trust is Jericho. I have had them come out several times for questionable houses under contract - and 50% of the time, it is not an issue. Olshans will ALWAYS say there is a problem, whether there is or not.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
I agree with Cheryjohns on Jericho. We had them come out because we were concerned about our foundation. They said we just had some very minor settling and it was nothing to worry about. It's good to know that we have honest companies still around.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
I've seen houses on repair piers with voids under them like that. I'm not sure that necesarily indicates a problem.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,974 times
Question: Is an engineers report filed anywhere with the city once foundation repair is completed? My husband had foundation work done years ago on our home and somehow in the process of reorganizing and moving things around, we have misplaced the warranty and engineers reports etc. which shows where all the piers currently are. We are pulling old boxes out of the storage shed to hopefully find them there. But we believe there are new/more problems with the foundation and the company he originally used is out of business and we cannot find any way of contacting them. We have Olshan coming to look at it this week for a free estimate but we would like to sell the house and need to know the best way to go about resolving this situation. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarae View Post
Question: Is an engineers report filed anywhere with the city once foundation repair is completed? My husband had foundation work done years ago on our home and somehow in the process of reorganizing and moving things around, we have misplaced the warranty and engineers reports etc. which shows where all the piers currently are. We are pulling old boxes out of the storage shed to hopefully find them there. But we believe there are new/more problems with the foundation and the company he originally used is out of business and we cannot find any way of contacting them. We have Olshan coming to look at it this week for a free estimate but we would like to sell the house and need to know the best way to go about resolving this situation. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Suggesting Jericho over Olshans - really.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
There could be foundation repair piers under there but that hole SHOULD still be filled and compacted with regular soil (what you find in your yard). you can do this yourself the best you can. not a good sign about your foundation warranty if you arent getting a response from them. were you able to transfer the warranty? sometimes there is a rule like new owner must contact/sign some form within 30 days of purchase to transfer. was this checked out?

is the concrete of foundation edge on the far left of the picture higher than the ground? in the picture it kind of looks out of line with the soil level

if an independent structural engineer did not check out the foundation before purchase hire one now. they can tell you if it looks like the work was not done well or the house is out of level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston