Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 PM

976 posts, read 1,057,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I think they should scale back and get a bullet train to Austin instead, I think it would be utilized more than one to Dallas. Imagine, 45 minutes to Austin? I bet many peolple would consider a move and commute if it went to Austin.

Houston and Dallas are metros with 6+ million people and easily the two most dominant metros in the state.... if not the entire region. Austin is a metro with under 1.75 million people. While it is growing quickly it is still minor league compared to Dallas and Houston.

Do the right thing and conned Houston and Dallas first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Why not a Bullet Train for all over the USA?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Houston and Dallas are metros with 6+ million people and easily the two most dominant metros in the state.... if not the entire region. Austin is a metro with under 1.75 million people. While it is growing quickly it is still minor league compared to Dallas and Houston.

Do the right thing and conned Houston and Dallas first.
Houstonians want it to go to austin so they can feel like they have a lay-out like Dallas and Ft.Worth....You know the reigon that they bash for having two cities against 1....Its funny to me. They feel like if they could get to austin in 45 minutes it would closely resemble the TRE and Austin could then be added to their Metro because of commute patterns....You guys kill me...I knew yall loved and envy DFW.......yall just hate to admit it.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-15-2012 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Ideal corridors for HSR are between 100-500 miles , anything longer then that would be Intercity Rail which is capped at 125mph. So only select areas the US could handle HSR like Texas between its large cities , the Northeast , Midwest between the large cities , California and Cascadia Corridor where demand is high for HSR. The Only reason Japan is investing in Texas is due to the land and regulations being laxed.

California High Speed Rail Network
Size : 800+ Mi (1,300kms)
Number of lines : 6
Stations : 25+
Projected Ridership : 95 Million a Year or 260,730 Daily
Top Speed : 220mph (350Km/h)
Cost : 68.5 Billion $

Midwest High Speed Rail Network
Size : 700 Mi+ (1,296Kms)
Stations : 76+ (Feeders factored in)
Lines : 6+ with 7 Feeders
Projected Ridership : 43 Million a year or 120,000 daily (Feeders factored in)
Top Speed on Trunk lines : 220mph (350Km/h)
Top Speed on Secondary / Feeder lines : 125mph (201Km/h)
Cost : 70 Billion $

Texas High Speed Rail Network
Size : 680 Mi+ (1,259kms)
Stations : 15
Lines : 5
Projected Ridership : 18.5 Million a year or 55,000 Daily
Cost : 15-45 Billion $

Cascadia Corridor
Size : 407 Mi (753km)
Stations : 11
Lines : 1
Projected Ridership : 12.8 Million a year or 35,000 Daily
Top Speed on Trunk lines : 170mph (273Km/h)
Cost : 20 Billion $

Northeastern High Speed Network
Size : 1940 Mi+ (3,592kms)
Lines : 4+ with 6 Feeders
Stations : 90+ (Feeders factored in)
Projected Ridership : 127 Million a year or 350,000 daily (Feeders factored in)
Top Speed on Secondary / Feeder lines : 125mph (201Km/h)
Cost : 120 Billion $

Taken from MWHSR , CAHSR and AMtrak Next gen sources and other sources

Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houstonians want it to go to austin so they can feel like they have a lay-out like Dallas and Ft.Worth....You know the reigon that they bash for having two cities against 1....Its funny to me. They feel like if they could get to austin in 45 minutes it would closely resemble the TRE and Austin could then be added to their Metro because of commute patterns....You guys kill me...I knew yall loved and envy DFW.......yall just hate to admit it.

Sorry, I can't keep silent on this any longer.

What does this have to do with anything? You really are the worst Dallas representative on this site. You really are a troll and you serve no purpose other than trying to stir things up with Houston people. This post is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the conversation of HSR between Houston and Dallas. It's embarrassing how worked up you get about nothing. Maybe you are joking, but nobody can tell. So in the end, you sound like an ignorant dumbass. Get a new hobby.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
There's something called "Being realistic" which involves thinking of a plan that actually has a good chance of being done and successful.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Sorry, I can't keep silent on this any longer.

What does this have to do with anything? You really are the worst Dallas representative on this site. You really are a troll and you serve no purpose other than trying to stir things up with Houston people. This post is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the conversation of HSR between Houston and Dallas. It's embarrassing how worked up you get about nothing. Maybe you are joking, but nobody can tell. So in the end, you sound like an ignorant dumbass. Get a new hobby.
I was thinking the same.
Houston-Austin would be a great short route and UT students would fill it up during spring and fall. It should just be a triangle rail loop.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Layout like DFW???

LMAO. Give it up sweetypie. Austin is just way too far.

lol, that did give me a good laugh though. Thanks I needed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was thinking the same.
Houston-Austin would be a great short route and UT students would fill it up during spring and fall. It should just be a triangle rail loop.
I agree. a triangle route would be good.

But the Dallas route should stop in Houston then go on to Galveston
Then A Dallas to Corpus route would be good with stops in SA and Austin. Then a Route from Austin to Houston with a Stop in BCS.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I think they should scale back and get a bullet train to Austin instead, I think it would be utilized more than one to Dallas. Imagine, 45 minutes to Austin? I bet many peolple would consider a move and commute if it went to Austin.
Why Austin? It's way too close to Houston to be drivable and make the train travel slower.

San Antonio is a better choice because it's not too far (DFW) or too close (Austin) for a test run. Houston-San Antonio is the most traveled route because of weekend getaways to Sea World, Fiesta Texas, and the Alamo/Riverwalk.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
All of which one pays voluntarily.
Of course,
because I'm sure somewhere there's somebody that actually took the other option of walking 20 miles to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston