Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM

328 posts, read 471,337 times

Advertisements

I've always been intrigued by the Shamrock Hotel which opened in Houston in 1949. Anyone out there have any interesting stories to tell?

Shamrock Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SHAMROCK HOTEL | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
Shamrock Hotel - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
When I was a teenager in the late 1950's-early 1960's, the Shamrock Hilton was the place to have prom dances, graduation parties and any other very-special events. I have many wonderful memories of attending dances there and, even at such a young age, I was always impressed by the showy decor. I dont think it could have been called "elegant" but it was certainly impressive, especially for that time.

It was also the hotel for any visiting dignitaries, movie stars and other celebrities. I recall standing outside the hotel doors on weekends, autograph book in hand, waiting for Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor and other stars to enter/exit. I cant even remember whether I ever got any autographs but I do remember just enjoying being there. I actually felt as though a part of my youth died when they tore it down.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 AM

23,966 posts, read 15,063,270 times
In my teenaged mind, the swimming pool was huge, and available. Like Texasfirewheel said, lots of dances, concerts,etc. High school kids had many more formal dances in those days. A group of 5 or 8 kids would get together and get the club, hire a band and throw a party. Plus the ones from school clubs.
They also had big fireworks displays on the lawn in front.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I remember in the early 60's, when I was just a little kid, my grandparents traveling from Dallas to Houston to spend a few days there to celebrate their anniversary. My grandmother was so excited to get to stay there.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Oh yes...the swimming pool! I'd forgotten about it. As crone said, it was huge and so awesome! And there were always waiters bringing drinks and goodies to poolside. Such luxury!

There were often photos in the Houston Chronicle and the Houston Post of visiting celebrities sunning themselves by that pool.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
The florist I worked for back then did the decorations for the final party in the ballroom. We spent hours in the ballroom blowing up balloons and creating centerpieces for the party. I remember it well because I had just bought a new 86 Mazda pickup and used it to carry some of the helium tanks to the hotel, and one of them dented the inside of my truck's bed! #$%^ My bedliner was on order and had not come in yet. But luckily I was able to spot paint it and the liner covered it up.

It was a neat hotel in its day, but was in need of refurbishing.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times
Back in early 80's they used to hold scuba diving conventions there annually over certain weekends. Several of us divers would book rooms just to stay and enjoy the exhibits, seminars and activities. We would check out all the new equipment lines in the pool and had a great time. Still have a few ashtrays and other trinkets from the hotel that somehow found there way into our bags. It was a great historical hotel, but when we used to stay there the rooms were out dated and rather small.

I also remember attending several car shows that were out front of the hotel. There was a car club that showed off their T-Birds many times.

Also used to be a great steak house across the street from the hotel. But after so many years, I just can't remember the name.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
I read about the Shamrock Hotel yesterday on Wikipedia. According to the article, the hotel was built too far from downtown Houston and ended up too far from the Interstates when they were opened. I wonder if it ever made a penny in profit.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I remember my mom telling me that it was where the celebrities and dignitaries stayed but they also stayed at The Rice Hotel downtown. The Rice may have had them on elegance as it was smaller. JFK stayed at the Rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston