Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM

352 posts, read 777,818 times

Advertisements

I know these things rack up and a 1.00 toll could turn into 40 bux which is absolute crazy. Admin fees for a toll? What happens if these never get paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
From HCTRA.org:

Quote:
Pursuant to the Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 284, the vehicle owner or renter of record (not necessarily the driver) of a vehicle that passes through a toll facility is responsible for payment of all tolls. Failure to pay tolls is against the law and results in a violation invoice and/or referral to a collection firm. Toll violations may also result in issuance of a traffic citation, independent of an invoice, which carries a significant fine plus court costs.
I had my recharge account balance drop too low and they were not able to refill my account over a weekend. Consequently they suspended my account and we ended up with 3 violations on two of our vehicles. They just send out the invoices and add on their "search fees", which I know are a crock since we have an account with them that has all the information. The fees were like $75 per vehicle. The letter says it would be turned over to an attorney/ collection agency and the fees would then increase even more if I did not pay. Luckily I was able to discuss it with the nice lady at the office in person and she was able to take care of it, so all I paid was the 6 tolls. But I doubt I will get another free pass if it happens again.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM

391 posts, read 922,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
I know these things rack up and a 1.00 toll could turn into 40 bux which is absolute crazy. Admin fees for a toll? What happens if these never get paid?
Your post inspired me to send a nastygram to HCTRA. HCTRA is so far behind the times when it comes to technology. NTTA (North Texas Toll Authority) has no such thing as a toll violation. If you do not have a Toll Tag, EZ tag, Tx Tag, the cameras at the toll gantries will snap a picture of your license plate, open a temporary account and bill you in 30 day incriments for all the times your license plate passes toll gantries. You get 1 bill in the mail instead of in Houston where you have to stop at EVERY SINGLE TOLL GANTRY and pay EVERY SINGLE TIME! Now if you fail to pay the bill, that's when NTTA hunts you down, but atleast NTTA makes it as easy as possible to use their roadways. What an excellent example of a great toll authority!

In Houston on the other hand, if you don't have an EZ tag, Toll Tag, Tx Tag, you get a big violation and must pay it or else you may not be able to renew your drivers license and vehicle registration. HCTRA is incredible unevolved when it comes to technology, so I made note of that in my nastygram to them. Just make sure that if you don't want to stop at the toll gantries in Houston, get some type of toll tag and make sure it is always loaded with funds.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
They can stop you from renewing your registration.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM

504 posts, read 1,149,686 times
i'm still confused why people don't get an eztag. they cost next to nothing and you can carry a very small amount on them.

if i didn't have an eztag I'd blow through the eztag lane, wait for the bill, negotiate the admin fees off and just pay whatever you used.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Are you familiar with "The Saw" series? Pay the Tolls!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
From HCTRA.org:

I had my recharge account balance drop too low and they were not able to refill my account over a weekend. Consequently they suspended my account and we ended up with 3 violations on two of our vehicles. They just send out the invoices and add on their "search fees", which I know are a crock since we have an account with them that has all the information. The fees were like $75 per vehicle. The letter says it would be turned over to an attorney/ collection agency and the fees would then increase even more if I did not pay. Luckily I was able to discuss it with the nice lady at the office in person and she was able to take care of it, so all I paid was the 6 tolls. But I doubt I will get another free pass if it happens again.
I've had an eztag since I've been in houston (13+ years now) and I've gotten those tickets in the mail several times, usually for something like a credit card expiring, or a mixup when getting a new car/new tags. They've always removed the violation fees when I've called as long as I was able to pay the owed tolls.

As to the OP, if you don't want to pay the tolls, stay out off the toll road. Simple as that.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 PM

385 posts, read 967,711 times
I have unpaid tolls from a few years ago, they sent me in the mail the letter stating I would be unable to register a car. It's been a few years and I haven't yet tried to register a car as I don't need one. but I am curious if I can ever register a car in Texas again?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,548 times
from the Houston chronicle, Cindy George consumer affairs blog:

What happens when you don’t pay your tolls? This happens. | The Houston Advocate | a Chron.com blog

interesting reading on a toll violater from Austin, who uses TxTag there, but was charged $157.00 for 7.50 in tolls here in Harris County

Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM

31 posts, read 248,134 times
If you drive through a ez-tag lane without paying, you can call them within 72 hours and pay over the phone. I've done it a few times. Pretty painless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston