Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, here is a quick run down of my situation. I have roamed these threads looking for information and have found quite a bit but I have some other questions that some of you might be able to answer.

I grew up in Katy, went to college and have now returned to Houston to work. I have been living in Katy for the last few months getting my feet on the ground, but I am financially stable now and looking to buy my own place. I am a single 24 year old male and will be living alone. I work at the beltway and 45 north and I'd like to keep the commute to less than half an hour. I have been looking pretty heavily in midtown, montrose, washington ave areas for townhomes and condos and have come close to putting contracts on a few places but now I am thinking I might want to go ahead and buy a real house outside of the beltway. My budget tops out at $200k.

My question is, are there any other places that might be a good fit for me in a place such as Spring? I want to be close to bars and restaurants but I also like open spaces to walk the dog and just relax. Am I crazy to think that places like this exist in the suburbs? Should I just stick to my original plan inside the loop?

I am looking for a good low crime area but at the same time I don't want to be a single guy surrounded 100% by families and children. I know I'm kind of describing Utopia. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
My question is, are there any other places that might be a good fit for me in a place such as Spring? No

I want to be close to bars and restaurants but I also like open spaces to walk the dog and just relax. Am I crazy to think that places like this exist in the suburbs? Yes

Should I just stick to my original plan inside the loop? Yes

Try to find a condo/town home in The Heights. There are young people in the Spring area but they will mostly be young married couples who hang out in tight knit groups. It will be kind of hard to meet people in the area unless you already know people living there. There are plenty of open space areas to walk dogs and relax within the loop. I take my dog to Memorial Park just about every weekend. Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Don't buy. Rent and save up. Stay in the loop. I grew uP in Spring. You will not be happy in Spring. Once you've got a budget to afford what you want ITL then buy. Moving outward just to buy a house will not make you happy.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,305 times
Why being single do you want to buy? Houston has overall a very level housing market. 5 years from now you will not have much equity and being single things in your situation can change, why do you want to be tied down to a home you are stuck in.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Rent until you can afford a townhouse in the Heights or in the Loop somewhere

Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times
Thanks for everyone's opinions. I'll keep looking until I find the right one.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Why not get a small house in Oak Forest for between $200K - $220K? At that price it will not have granite, but you can add that when you can - sell later and actually make a profit. Close to Inner Loop - reverse commute to work - good appreciation. Neighborhood is made up of older retirees/young professionals that get along very well. Stay east of TC Jester - it makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: