Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 PM

61 posts, read 166,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
It will take a couple of years to get rid of most of the home sickness...but you will never forget home and always have a longing for it. But once you see all that extra cash in your pocket, the extra free time...you're quickly get over it and continue to live your new life in Houston.

Good luck and welcome to Houston.
You are so right.. It seems like the days feel longe here in houston. Lol. And i am being able to save more cash. I think ill talk to my wife about taking a different position in work where she can be home on days..

Are you in houston too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,950,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
Which part of 1960? It is a very long road and I can't say that I have noticed any.
After you turn onto 1960 from 45 about a mile or two down the street you will see a Starbucks. Right past that both sides of the road have a few brothels (massage parlors) there. The girls were standing outside with a cop a couple of nights ago chatting it up when I was at Caribbean Hot Pot.

Law enforcement targets massage parlors along FM 1960 corridor - Houston Chronicle

I know this link is a few years old, but it shows the problem on 1960.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
Hehehehe my wife is colombian too. Im lucky as well.
Oh really? Where is she from? 2 things. There is a chain called Pollo Riko. www.polloriko.com/ It is ok and cheap. There are a few Colombians there on Sunday mornings. Also, there is a food truck outside that terrible place Mi Pueblito on the weekends. They have great street food albeit pricey. It is a good place to meet Colombians. They have the salsa going and people are just standing outside chilling.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM

61 posts, read 166,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Oh really? Where is she from? 2 things. There is a chain called Pollo Riko. www.polloriko.com/ It is ok and cheap. There are a few Colombians there on Sunday mornings. Also, there is a food truck outside that terrible place Mi Pueblito on the weekends. They have great street food albeit pricey. It is a good place to meet Colombians. They have the salsa going and people are just standing outside chilling.

I looked up the address to polloriko and its a bit far from where we live (we are north of beltway 8 near Summerwood). my wife is from Cali and she really likes interacting with Colombians and i guess that contributes to missing being back in NJ since we dont know many people here.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
I looked up the address to polloriko and its a bit far from where we live (we are north of beltway 8 near Summerwood). my wife is from Cali and she really likes interacting with Colombians and i guess that contributes to missing being back in NJ since we dont know many people here.
My girlfriend is from Cali too. She misses the Colombian community from up there too. Colombians are not really unified here or have much of a sense of community (regardless of what non-Colombians will try and say).

Old 05-19-2012, 12:58 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
I also don't get homesick, in fact, I look forward to new scenes. However, I think meeting new friends will help her, although that can be hard as working adults. Once the kids are here, that will help. Once theyre in school, you guys will meet other parents and become friends with them, get more involved with school activities, etc. Ask her to give it until Xmas at least.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Ride down Richomd Ave, then come up and go down 1960 and see all the "massage" parlors. This is not a negative for me, but the abundance of these establishments and even human trafficking in Houston is well known (not only Houston obviously, Portland actually leads the nation in Human trafficking oddly enough).
Sadly human and animal trafficking happens all over this planet. It is not unique to Houston or Portland.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM

180 posts, read 319,545 times
We left all our friends and family in 2008 to move to Houston. We were not happy for the first couple of months. But then we bought a house and made new friends and really got plugged into the community and we ended up loving Houston. Now we have moved back to our family and we desperately miss Houston and want to come back. Just give it some time. You will adjust.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,770,063 times
Two things matter the most: People you love, and ability to make a living. If you can make a living in NJ, sounds like there are people your wife loves who are there and going back might be best. If you can't make a living there, you have to build a life here and try to visit family there as often as feasible.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM

830 posts, read 1,716,632 times
It's too early to decide if you guys will like it here or not. Maybe you can make a deal with her--if she still hates it in 1 year, you guys will move back. Not having the kids with you probably makes a difference too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston