Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
You could start with a 6 month lease in The Woodlands and then scout out where you want to be longer term. The Woodlands is a nice safe area and 6 months will fly by.
The woodlands is equally far from 45 and beltway 8 as midtown and he'd be driving in with traffic. Far better to stay in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
You say that now.. wait till you are in your car for an hour or more per day.. that can get quite frustrating..
I used to commute close to 40 minutes each way here in Cincinnati during a few of my co-op terms and it never really bothered me. I'm also assuming that traffic leaving the city in the AM and returning in PM could be worse (hopefully that is a correct assumption).

Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
You say that now.. wait till you are in your car for an hour or more per day.. that can get quite frustrating..
So where are you suggesting he stays? Clearly he can't stay in the immediate area, nor is the Woodlands a good option for a college graduate.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM

391 posts, read 922,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown2te View Post
Hey Everyone,

So at the beginning of July I'll be graduating from college and moving to Houston at some point later in the month for a new job that I've taken. I have absolutely no idea where to start as far as looking for apartments and hoped that someone here may have some advice. I'm 22, male and would prefer to be in an area with others close to my age/other young professionals as I feel it will be easier to make new friends that way. Does anyone have an suggestions for me? Thanks!!
If you are working in the Greenspoint area I would suggest not living around there. Downtown, heights, Washington heights and midtown would be good. It is a reverse commute, but your patience will be tested on I-45. I believe the indian translation for I-45 is 'he who sits in traffic'!

I am sure you will love all of those places so it will more than make up for the traffic. In any case, welcome to Houston!!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Stay in midtown or the Heights for a year and decide if you like it.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I would avoid living near i-45 and sam houston (beltway 8) because of crime and not many things to do for an upwardly mobile young person. The Woodlands is nice, but people I've known in your age bracket tend to find it boring. So, I would agree with The Heights, Montrose, or Midtown. Any place inside the 610 loop that is not a slum, actually. Houston is quite big, and has good and bad neighborhoods. The perception people have when they move here from outside seems to depend a lot on where they actually wind up residing. So, it's good to get opinions from people and then check them out in person.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 9,566 times
What do you all think of West University? I've been looking at an apartment there that someone I know has looked at recently (she already lives in Houston) and she suggests that I would love that area. The Belmont is the apartment complex, to be exact.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I would avoid living near i-45 and sam houston (beltway 8) because of crime and not many things to do for an upwardly mobile young person. The Woodlands is nice, but people I've known in your age bracket tend to find it boring. So, I would agree with The Heights, Montrose, or Midtown. Any place inside the 610 loop that is not a slum, actually. Houston is quite big, and has good and bad neighborhoods. The perception people have when they move here from outside seems to depend a lot on where they actually wind up residing. So, it's good to get opinions from people and then check them out in person.
Just curious what exactly is your definition of "slum"?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
What do you all think of West University? I've been looking at an apartment there that someone I know has looked at recently (she already lives in Houston) and she suggests that I would love that area. The Belmont is the apartment complex, to be exact.
I live in West U. Great area for families. The suggestion probably relates to the proximity to Rice Village ratherthan West U itself as it would be a strange place for a 22 year old to live. I know a lot of people at the Belmont. It is full of medical professionals doing their internships at the Medical Center, especially those with kids as it zones to West U Elementary which is the best public elementary school in the general med center area.

Did you say somewhere here what your budget is?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 AM

391 posts, read 922,911 times
Quote:
The job is near where I45 and the Sam Houston Tollway cross north of Houston, around 30 mins I believe. I don't mind the commute so much if it means being in an area of interest and an area that would make my transition to a completely new city a little bit easier. Thanks everyone for the input!
Try the heights, downtown or Washington Ave areas. Unfortunately the traffic on 45 is going to test your patiences and your sanity, so get an EZ Tag or TxTag and get very familiar with the Hardy Toll Road =)

You will love it here though, tons of things to do to keep you entertained. Welcome to Houston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston