Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times

Advertisements

It depends on the price range you are looking for. I agree that if you can afford it that West University or Southhampton would be ideal for you.

Now crime is on the uptick in Houston in general and alot of native Houstonians (of all races) blame it on the influx of criminals and gang members that got moved here during Katrina. While a lot of decent New Orleans' families moved here - so too did a lot the criminal element that N.O. simply lost track of. So you might hear a lot of complaints from Houstonians about crime and people relating it to what they call the Katrina element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 AM

1,188 posts, read 3,466,172 times
I'm a guy a lot like you who has 3 teenagers and doesn't want to experience crime but still want to be close to the loop and have a decent commute, nearness to cultural amenities etc. About 3 years ago I found a great place in SW, about 14 miles from downtown called Lakes of Fondren. There are two similar sub-divisions nearby called Frontenac and Fondren Lakes. All but Frontenac are built on a Lake with a circular drive around it (not quite Pontchatrain! :-) ). Houses are similar to your Lakeview - all custom homes (no cookie cutter mass-produced) from about 3000-6000 sq ft (mine is 5600 6 bedroom). Subdivisions started 1983 but ran out of steam in the oil bust and maybe half were built in last 10 years to pretty much fill up to present. Now the downside is it zoned to Westbury HS - pretty poor - but the next nearest school is probably the highest-performing in the whole state of TX (judged by Nat'l Merit Scholars) - Bellaire - and Bellaire can be gotten into under the international magnet program if your kids are sharp. Also, great catholic schools St Agnes and Strake Jesuit are about 4 miles up Gessner. The nearest apartments aren't too bad by SW standards and at least 1 mile away on Fondren (none within thae subdivisions themselves). Several were tore up by Ike and have been rebuilt nicer with higher rents and better caliber of clientele. We've experienced no crime at all that I've noticed and our newsletter mentions only minor stuff (mostly couples squabbling). I think it helps that our security is a private force led by a former HPD assistant chief who knows every owners' car in the subdivision and goes off to follow any outsiders. Very nice but hardnosed guy. You might just like it here - not the normal MacMansion white-bread suburbs but a very interesting semi-urban diversity like NO or even LA/NY - my neighbors are a wealthy young black architect, an Asian physicist and banker, a Cameroonian pharmacist and drugstore owner, a black female surgeon, and a white and Persian couple who own their own distribution business.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,295,378 times
Since the original post is a year and a half old, I'm sure they've already made a decision.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 PM

74 posts, read 179,073 times
chuckle...but it does answer others same questions who are looking now and do not want to post a thread...

Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 659 times
Sugar Land is also a really good area!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:40 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,671,788 times
This post is 9 years old Sugar Land marketing dept.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 15,694 times
How about considering further north of Houston in The Woodlands? There are a variety of very nice neighborhoods and the school districts are popular. HAR.com also has a neighborhood section you can look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston