U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,753,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree1007 View Post
We are being relocated. Husband will work in The Woodlands. I have been online researching every possible area to live in. We prefer older homes, great schools, a safe community with older and younger residents (we have four small children and they love playing outside with neighbors). Is the Champions Forest neighborhood a good choice? I love it online but can't tell if it's in a decline and we should go with newer homes and possibly younger families. Please advise.
If working in the Woodlands, why not live in the Woodlands? Most homes are not particularly old, but certainly meets all other criteria. Unless other personal factors, I suspect very few people working in The Woodlands would choose to live off 1960.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,521,988 times
I had to leave the Woodlands and Conroe/Willis off my list because of another family members commute. Montgomery county probably offers a better deal on property tax.

I live north of Cypress creek quite a ways from FM1960 and I understand why someone might avoid the area. 77069 Huntwick area really looked nice to me but nothing got on my radar in my "timeline".

I looked in Westador, Ponderosa, Olde Oaks and Greenwood forest all near or just off of FM1960. Ponderosa had the best mix of homes and most were in better shape. Olde Oaks really looks like its starting to fall off. Greenwood has a nice feel and a lot of great home styles. Westador, I really liked a few of the homes but it just did not work out for me.

All of the 77090 and 77066 subdivisions had areas that are in the 100 year flood plain.

All of the above did not have the best school ratings. I do not have kids but, I can see it as a resale sticking point.

I really liked some of the homes I saw in the Cypresswood sub. Nothing that was for sale during my timeline fit my gotta haves list.

77379 area does have a lot of great homes from the 1970's and newer and some great schools. (Also has 100 year flood plain.)

Use the Harris county flood mapping tool to help make the best choices and save a few bux on flood insurance.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM

110 posts, read 282,573 times
My wife and I are seriously contemplating a move to the Champions Forest area next year. We're familiar with the area and love the architecture and look of the homes. Having always lived in or very close to the 610 loop, it's a bit of paradigm shift for me. But, with us having children now, space and affordability are important considerations. My wife works in the area currently, but I work in the Galleria area. Traffic is my major concern, since I've been acclimated to traveling contra-flow, or in my current location, walking to work.

What is the commute time from Champions Forest to the Galleria area? I don't have to be to the office until 9AM, and I usually leave between 6:30 and 7PM.

Also, I'm a big proponent of energy efficiency (and keeping cash in my pocket). For those of you who live in the area, how much does your utility bill run, and how large is your home? My utility bill tops $200 in the summer months even now, in the 1,400 sq ft apartment we're in. I'm guessing the patio sliders are leaky, and all the windows are single pane. I don't want to be hit with a $450 utility bill if we buy a house in the Champions Forest area. I assume any home we purchase in that area is going to need windows, a radiant barrier, and some insulation upgrades in the walls.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,151,585 times
What zip codes does this area include? Any houses for ~$100k?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,470,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
My wife and I are seriously contemplating a move to the Champions Forest area next year. We're familiar with the area and love the architecture and look of the homes. Having always lived in or very close to the 610 loop, it's a bit of paradigm shift for me. But, with us having children now, space and affordability are important considerations. My wife works in the area currently, but I work in the Galleria area. Traffic is my major concern, since I've been acclimated to traveling contra-flow, or in my current location, walking to work.

What is the commute time from Champions Forest to the Galleria area? I don't have to be to the office until 9AM, and I usually leave between 6:30 and 7PM.

Also, I'm a big proponent of energy efficiency (and keeping cash in my pocket). For those of you who live in the area, how much does your utility bill run, and how large is your home? My utility bill tops $200 in the summer months even now, in the 1,400 sq ft apartment we're in. I'm guessing the patio sliders are leaky, and all the windows are single pane. I don't want to be hit with a $450 utility bill if we buy a house in the Champions Forest area. I assume any home we purchase in that area is going to need windows, a radiant barrier, and some insulation upgrades in the walls.
Can't help with the commute, but with those hours I wouldn't think it would be too bad.

We live in Huntwick Forest, 3300 sq ft approx, house built in 1979 with a pool. Our highest electricity bill last year was $276. I have to qualify that as we do not use the upstairs too often and usually keep that a/c at 80. Ceiling fans in most rooms. Downstairs we keep it at about 72 except if I leave for a few hours then I will turn it up to 78. Our highest gas bill this winter was $98 and the corresponding electricity bill was $91. In July last year we had extra insulation, 2 new roof turbine vents, more vents in the soffits (?) plus radiant barrier put in also got a new variable speed pump for the pool which should help our bill this year. All the windows had been upgraded before we bought but we put new badly needed weatherstripping on the doors. A lot of the houses here have been upgraded so maybe you wouldn't have to do all that much. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM

2,084 posts, read 3,878,674 times
Quote:

Be prepared - I have a coworker (Galleria area) who lives off Champion Forest north of Spring Cypress, hideous commute, I believe its an 1hr 20 on a good day and longer if it rains etc. He'd move if other factors weren't in play. Do you have any other options?

EDIT: he gets in for 9, leaves at 6. 7 might be ok.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,298,955 times
Quote:

The energy efficiency in most of the older homes is not great, unless they've upgraded it. It's just a trade-off.

That commute to the Galleria area from Champions will be bad. If it's for the type of homes you like, take a look in Sugar Creek as an alternative; might find some similar homes but much better location/commute and good schools.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM

27 posts, read 44,321 times
I recently moved to Huntwick. It is an awesome place! I felt a little hesistant at first because of what some had said about 1960 however I feel safe and so does my wife. Just use common sense like not leaving your car doors unlocked on the street. We originally looked at Champon Forest but a lot of the homes are not as well maintained with the landscape. Huntwick has the neighborhood charm that has been lost with all these new subdivisions and no trees. There is also a lot of places to walk to. BTW my utility bill this past month was $102 and gas was $45 (we have double paned windows but no radient barrier). For the price this neighborhood cant be beat.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM

811 posts, read 1,470,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarmy View Post
I recently moved to Huntwick. It is an awesome place! I felt a little hesistant at first because of what some had said about 1960 however I feel safe and so does my wife. Just use common sense like not leaving your car doors unlocked on the street. We originally looked at Champon Forest but a lot of the homes are not as well maintained with the landscape. Huntwick has the neighborhood charm that has been lost with all these new subdivisions and no trees. There is also a lot of places to walk to. BTW my utility bill this past month was $102 and gas was $45 (we have double paned windows but no radient barrier). For the price this neighborhood cant be beat.

Welcome neighbor!! You will get a newsletter every month with a police report in it. The latest one states we have the safest subdivision in this part of town.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM

21,010 posts, read 12,635,365 times
DH commuted to Bellaire. It took an hour +/-. A neighbor went to I 59 @ 610, took an hour. She just went down International Alley to Shepard to Kirby.

It is easy to retrofit energy stuff. We did low-e windows, added lots of insulation and caulked like crazy, SEER 16 HVAC. It is not as good as a brand new plastic house out in a rice field, but we like trees and old stuff. It evens out.

Cabot, does that radio home improvement guy, Tom Tynan live in your subdivision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston