Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard that he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Been told that by several different people. If so, the houses in Huntwick are well recommended.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 PM

That's good to hear! Will have to ask my neighbors about him.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 40,031 times
Just an update from Greenwood Forest...from Greenwood_Insider.

We moved to Greenwood Forest over two years ago and we continue to love it. We purchased our home at the very bottom of the market in mid-2012. We were optimistic, but rather skeptical--we certainly loved the house but, what would the future hold for our investment?

Two years later, our home has increased in value by about 55K! We had an intuitive feeling that this house in this beautiful neighborhood--with nearly 3,500sf, pool, and, stately brick façade--was listed well below its future market value. We would have willingly paid 30K back in 2012. Our intuition has proven correct and our very well informed real estate agent agrees. Houses in Greenwood Forest and adjacent neighborhoods--namely Huntwick, Champion Forest, Oak Creek Village--are going up, particularly those with pools. We have watched houses on our street sell for prices 30K to 45K higher than comparable listings in 2011-12. Moving to older neighborhoods often requires a bit of investment. If you move here, you will most probably need to renovate a kitchen and a bathroom or two...

I firmly believe that the best neighborhood reports come from the people who actually live there now--not ten years ago or 'back in the 1970s'--and certainly not fearful posters from elsewhere who rely on hearsay. The FM1960 neighborhoods have, of course, matured from their early years. Everything changes. And although we used City-Data to attempt to understand the Champions and Klein areas--it was through our own investment in learning about this place and investigating--boots on the ground--that revealed its hidden truths and values.

We were extremely careful when we purchased our home--invested over nine months in a search paired with a fantastic real estate agent who has lived here for 35 years. As she gained our trust, we piled over hundreds houses all over the Champions area and made offers on several that did not go through. We looked in Ponderosa Forest (and loved it...), Old Oaks, Westador, Huntwick (beautiful...), Champion Forest (idyllic...), Spring Creek Village--basically every neighborhood between Spring Cypress and FM1960. In the end, our favorites were--and still are--Greeenwood Forest, Huntwick, and Champion Forest. If we remain in Houston, we will no doubt move between these three neighborhoods. We are the sort of family pegged to live 'in the Inner Loop--the Heights" or somewhere comparable, but we love it here in Champions.

In retrospect, we are extremely happy to have settled in the 'Champions' area rather than The Woodlands. We began our search looking exclusively there. Now that we live here, the Champions area feels 'more real', 'more lived in', and certainly less 'regulated'. And while living within the sprawling boundaries of 'unregulated' Houston offers upsides and pitfalls--the truth is that we would prefer to be in a more organic part of a larger city, rather than a fabricated "enclave" that feels like an amusement park. So, while we can appreciate the allure of the near-perfect world in The Woodlands, we are always far happier to come home to live in Champions.

The central FM1960 area is a diverse area that mixes classic middle-upper middle class suburban Americana with a wonderful dose of international Houston--great Mexican restaurants, an Asian marketplace, Persian restaurants, Vietnamese cafés, and a South Asian grocery. We love that sort of diversity! And since we're originally from the Northeast--these neighborhoods offer the "lived in", heavily forested, and substantial qualities that we miss from back home.

Closer to home, Greenwood Forest looks much like it did two years ago, and if I personally had to make an assessment, it even looks better. There are far less houses for sale now, and the few that were in foreclosure during 2011-12 have been purchased and upgraded. Two years ago, it seemed like many of the 'lowest priced' houses were the result of estate fire-sale liquidations. In that regard, it is important to note that many of the original residents in these established neighborhoods in the FM1960 corrdior--lifelong homeowners from the 1970s who moved here on day one--were retiring, down-sizing, or regrettably--passing away. In recent years, sales activity in many of these classic, 1970s neighborhoods reveals similar trends. Empty houses with new paint, new carpeting, and kitchen upgrades are being placed on the market by the children of original owners. I suspect that this type of sales activity will continue for the foreseeable future. There is undoubtedly a generational shift occurring along the FM1960 and Cypresswood corridors evidenced in part through quick-sale desires.

Houses in these neighborhoods--Greenwood Forest, Huntwick, Wimbledon, Champion Forest, Ponderosa Forest, Olde Oaks--reveal a social and demographic diversity that typifies Houston, the fourth largest city and most diverse metropolitan area in the United States. Original owners, empty-nesters, young families, married couples, singles, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, straight, and gay--there is no 'typical' situation here. In this sense, the 1960-Cypresswood area shares more in common with high-end, gentrifying, multicultural Inner Loop neighborhoods than the conservative far-flung 'rural' suburbs. It is a 'suburb' in transition to something far more cosmopolitan--far more complex and interesting. I am proud to be invested in this type of community. That said, if you are looking for homogeneity, this will not be the place for you.

Our HOA recently strengthened its deed restrictions to ensure that our 'neighborhood maintains its beauty and value' far into future. Our HOA board is guided by insightful homeowners who love their homes and neighborhood. Our quiet streets and the Champion Forest Parkway are manicured and gorgeous. It's a suburban oasis which offers remarkable accessibility and affordability--but prices are rising--so catch it while you can!

Last edited by greenwood_insider; 08-12-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
We bought in champions forest in 2010 and are looking to possibly sell and move back to the heights. We love the area, the older neighbors and I've found the majority of the folks keep up their yard/exterior of the houses. We have decided on not having kids so moving back closer to work seems better for us

Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Large houses with extensive moldings and real wood floors that could not be given away for $70 a foot in early 2012 are now selling for 100 a foot in the Strack Corridor.

People who have no need for public schools are ignoring the nay sayers and getting great houses in great communities for good prices.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I've known folks who had brand new homes built encounter break-ins in the exurbs
We've known people with million dollar homes have break ins, and this was in a "safe" suburb. Crime happens everywhere. You can list any neighborhood, city, or burb and find crime.

Everyone should have an alarm and more HOA's should employ patrols. I feel much safer in my home in town than I did in the burbs, because the 24/7 cop is two minutes away and I have the number on speed dial.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood_insider View Post
Just an update from Greenwood Forest...from Greenwood_Insider.

We moved to Greenwood Forest over two years ago and we continue to love it. We purchased our home at the very bottom of the market in mid-2012. We were optimistic, but rather skeptical--we certainly loved the house but, what would the future hold for our investment?

Two years later, our home has increased in value by about 55K! We had an intuitive feeling that this house in this beautiful neighborhood--with nearly 3,500sf, pool, and, stately brick façade--was listed well below its future market value. We would have willingly paid 30K back in 2012. Our intuition has proven correct and our very well informed real estate agent agrees. Houses in Greenwood Forest and adjacent neighborhoods--namely Huntwick, Champion Forest, Oak Creek Village--are going up, particularly those with pools. We have watched houses on our street sell for prices 30K to 45K higher than comparable listings in 2011-12. Moving to older neighborhoods often requires a bit of investment. If you move here, you will most probably need to renovate a kitchen and a bathroom or two...

I firmly believe that the best neighborhood reports come from the people who actually live there now--not ten years ago or 'back in the 1970s'--and certainly not fearful posters from elsewhere who rely on hearsay. The FM1960 neighborhoods have, of course, matured from their early years. Everything changes. And although we used City-Data to attempt to understand the Champions and Klein areas--it was through our own investment in learning about this place and investigating--boots on the ground--that revealed its hidden truths and values.

We were extremely careful when we purchased our home--invested over nine months in a search paired with a fantastic real estate agent who has lived here for 35 years. As she gained our trust, we piled over hundreds houses all over the Champions area and made offers on several that did not go through. We looked in Ponderosa Forest (and loved it...), Old Oaks, Westador, Huntwick (beautiful...), Champion Forest (idyllic...), Spring Creek Village--basically every neighborhood between Spring Cypress and FM1960. In the end, our favorites were--and still are--Greeenwood Forest, Huntwick, and Champion Forest. If we remain in Houston, we will no doubt move between these three neighborhoods. We are the sort of family pegged to live 'in the Inner Loop--the Heights" or somewhere comparable, but we love it here in Champions.

In retrospect, we are extremely happy to have settled in the 'Champions' area rather than The Woodlands. We began our search looking exclusively there. Now that we live here, the Champions area feels 'more real', 'more lived in', and certainly less 'regulated'. And while living within the sprawling boundaries of 'unregulated' Houston offers upsides and pitfalls--the truth is that we would prefer to be in a more organic part of a larger city, rather than a fabricated "enclave" that feels like an amusement park. So, while we can appreciate the allure of the near-perfect world in The Woodlands, we are always far happier to come home to live in Champions.

The central FM1960 area is a diverse area that mixes classic middle-upper middle class suburban Americana with a wonderful dose of international Houston--great Mexican restaurants, an Asian marketplace, Persian restaurants, Vietnamese cafés, and a South Asian grocery. We love that sort of diversity! And since we're originally from the Northeast--these neighborhoods offer the "lived in", heavily forested, and substantial qualities that we miss from back home.

Closer to home, Greenwood Forest looks much like it did two years ago, and if I personally had to make an assessment, it even looks better. There are far less houses for sale now, and the few that were in foreclosure during 2011-12 have been purchased and upgraded. Two years ago, it seemed like many of the 'lowest priced' houses were the result of estate fire-sale liquidations. In that regard, it is important to note that many of the original residents in these established neighborhoods in the FM1960 corrdior--lifelong homeowners from the 1970s who moved here on day one--were retiring, down-sizing, or regrettably--passing away. In recent years, sales activity in many of these classic, 1970s neighborhoods reveals similar trends. Empty houses with new paint, new carpeting, and kitchen upgrades are being placed on the market by the children of original owners. I suspect that this type of sales activity will continue for the foreseeable future. There is undoubtedly a generational shift occurring along the FM1960 and Cypresswood corridors evidenced in part through quick-sale desires.

Houses in these neighborhoods--Greenwood Forest, Huntwick, Wimbledon, Champion Forest, Ponderosa Forest, Olde Oaks--reveal a social and demographic diversity that typifies Houston, the fourth largest city and most diverse metropolitan area in the United States. Original owners, empty-nesters, young families, married couples, singles, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, straight, and gay--there is no 'typical' situation here. In this sense, the 1960-Cypresswood area shares more in common with high-end, gentrifying, multicultural Inner Loop neighborhoods than the conservative far-flung 'rural' suburbs. It is a 'suburb' in transition to something far more cosmopolitan--far more complex and interesting. I am proud to be invested in this type of community. That said, if you are looking for homogeneity, this will not be the place for you.

Our HOA recently strengthened its deed restrictions to ensure that our 'neighborhood maintains its beauty and value' far into future. Our HOA board is guided by insightful homeowners who love their homes and neighborhood. Our quiet streets and the Champion Forest Parkway are manicured and gorgeous. It's a suburban oasis which offers remarkable accessibility and affordability--but prices are rising--so catch it while you can!
What a great and thoughtful post. I'm not sure why this area is overlooked so often.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 AM

I live in Huntwick, our most recent newsletter had an article about the price increases in this area. It said to just add two 0s to the square footage of your home and you would get the approximate value which would be in line with the $100 per sq ft. If that is the case and I have no reason to doubt looking at HAR, our house has gone up over $100k in the 3+ years we have lived here. We did not expect that kind of increase so it is a nice surprise. We have done some updating, nothing drastic needed, but all we have to do from now on is normal maintenance. We continue to be very happy with our well built house and it is nice to hear others feel the same as us about this area.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
GI, I'm glad to hear you like the area and it's coming back.

My last house was in Oak Creek Village, and I was somewhat sad when the area was in decline.

Happy to hear the news.

It's great that your investment is paying off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston