Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 AM

107 posts, read 569,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
You're right, they have really cleaned it up in the last few years, but I still wouldn't consider it a pretty beach, or one of Houston's highlights.
Hey, it might not be pretty, but at least we have a beach! I like not being in a landlocked region.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 135,249 times
I was born and raised just off of 146 by Providence Rhode Island. I moved to houston for a year once..I hated it... I wasnt use to the culture, chemical plants, city life and I became homesick so I moved back to RI...but after a year in RI.. im back in houston again... Theres too much about houston or texas in general that is better then the north east areas. The people are MUCH friendlier.. and its alot eaiser to make friends down here too. Everything has much more convenience.. Im in deer park and everything you could think of is about just 2-10 minutes down the road from me.. One thing that u will also notice.. TONS of hiring signs on windows of stores... U never ever get that up in new england. The rent and housing is also crazy cheap...Houston isnt one of the most prettiest citys although they do work hard on making it look nice, most of everyones lawns are moed and manicured and full of beautiful flowers..the spanish moss trees are really pretty too. The beaches are close also! Although they are different from the beaches were we are from.. you can also aford to live by the beach down here too and everyone seems so much more laid back.. (newport snobs by the beaches in RI lol) Anyways.. Theres soo much to experience down here and its so much different then the north that im sure if you find a right area of houston you will love it here. Just dont keep comparing new england to houston like I did at first..lol If you have any other questions or anything just message me

Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM

119 posts, read 176,023 times
Another New Englander huh? Thanks for the feedback. I actually live about 45 minutes from Newport on Cape Cod but don't go there that often. I do like it though. I think I'm only going to be in Houston for a few months but I'm excited because I keep hearing how nice the people in TX are. As you know, most New Englanders are not friendly at all.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM

119 posts, read 176,023 times
Well it sounds like Houston is a nice place. I think I'm only going to be there for a few months but I'm very curious to check it out. I drove through it back in January and it seemed alright. Of course, driving through a place and actually spending there somewhere are two different experiences so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I love the way you managed to make even the positives sound negative. We know where your stance is. Anyway, I hardly doubt that Google street map gives a decent depiction of what a place is really like. I used that feature for New York, and it did the city absolutely no justice.
And we certainly know your stance.
I too love the way you make the negatives sound positive, Well, for your case, more like twist and squeeze until it becomes positive.

Anyway, google street maps does makes every city grainier and duller than it is, but when you use it to compare one city's so called dull street picture to houston dull picture, Houston's streetscape is still uglier.

There are positives here, but beautiful streetscapes and nice natural surroundings are definitely not its strong points. I am sure there is beauty if one looks hard enough, but to think that this area's beauty is comparable to beauty of most other cities is just not realistic.

And I am not kidding about the positives either. You are reading too much into it to think that I am not into the positives either. I really like able to find parking whenever I like, and I really like the weather 6 months of the year. And diversity certainly makes food is awesome. And also good manners, clean surburbs.

I tell it like I see it, I think Houston is ugly, nature and infrastructure, especially after having stayed and visited much prettier cities throughout the years.

Last edited by person; 09-25-2007 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
And we certainly know your stance.
I too love the way you make the negatives sound positive, Well, for your case, more like twist and squeeze until it becomes positive.
What negatives have I even stated that you've read? And anyone who is fairly familiar with me knows that there are things that I sincerely hate about Houston. I've never made any negatives sound positive.

Quote:
Anyway, google street maps does makes every city grainier and duller than it is, but when you use it to compare one city's so called dull street picture to houston dull picture, Houston's streetscape is still uglier.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Quote:
There are positives here, but beautiful streetscapes and nice natural surroundings are definitely not its strong points. I am sure there is beauty if one looks hard enough, but to think that this area's beauty is comparable to beauty of most other cities is just not realistic.
Here is the perfect place to insert a cliche: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
And I am not kidding about the positives either. You are reading too much into it to think that I am not into the positives either. I really like able to find parking whenever I like, and I really like the weather 6 months of the year. And diversity certainly makes food is awesome. And also good manners, clean surburbs.
Maybe I did read too much into it, but it had seemed as if you were only listing random positives in order to not look like you were bashing the city. Also, I'm interested in finding these good manners you speak of.

Quote:
I tell it like I see it, I think Houston is ugly, nature and infrastructure, especially after having stayed and visited much prettier cities throughout the years.
Again, beauty is in how you view things, but while most of the infrastructure is less than appealing, I don't see how anyone can call any form of nature ugly. God put that there, and He doesn't make any kind of junk. The entire world is beautiful in its own way.

I get the idea that most of what we consider beautiful is that which is glamorized on television. We're failing to see the true beauty in things.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
I'm from Colorado Springs, Colorado which is one of the most prettiest, most scenic places in the country. Pikes Peak and the rest of the mountains were right there less than 20 miles away where you get constant view of the blueish-colored Mountains throughout the entire city.

Houston to me could definitely use a little work on the looks department. This mainly applies to areas on the east side, some parts off I-45, and going towards Pasadena. Houston's roads are the thing that I think outsiders might view Houston as ugly.

The city to me is absolutely gorgeous in the central part of the city, The Heights/Eleanor Tinsley prk, and areas west of 288. Just the view of the density of the Texas Medical Center, Downtown, Greenway Plaza, and Uptown Galleria skylines is simply breathtaking. The new I-10 expansion is already looking great and will look even better when completed. Memorial City is nothing to shake a stick at either. With all the new development in that area, the Memorial City area is beginning to form a new skyline. Not to mention the areas of Clear Lake. The beaches may not be Florida or California but its pleasing to the eye to be near the water.

My point is, you can't classify the entire city as ugly. Yes it has ugly parts (and miles of ugliness too), but it also has many nice areas. The area is flat but Florida is flat to and that doesn't stop it from being recognized as one of the best- known beach areas in the country.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I'm leaving for Houston this coming Thursday and by reading most of the responses on here it seems Houston is completely lousy. I currently live in Massachusetts and I'm excited to be heading to Houston because I hear people in TX are very friendly. After reading so many threads on here I'm getting the feeling Houston is an ugly city, the people are not nice at all, and it's a bad place to live. Is this true or are these threads just being written by negative people? I would appreciate any feedback on the city. I plan on being in the city for about 6 months or so. I don't think I'm going to be there beyond that amount of time but since I am heading there I'm curious if it's as bad as so many people on here state it is.
No, it's much worse!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
I think that the areas which have great historical architecture are beautiful. However I must say that if you were to rate Houston overall - it doesn't rate very high (in terms of being a beautiful city). But that is just my opinion, based on other cities that I have visited and lived.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
I think it depends on where you live in Houston determines how quickly you may like or not like the city. Choosing the right location that fits your character, lifestyle, and close to work should ease the move.

But some or more like most people make the mistake of saying, "Wow!, I can buy a 4,000square foot home in the suburbs!?" and then spend the rest of their lives spending 10 hours a week on the road-rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston